I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Feather Inlays vs Decals?
Posted by: Hunter Armstrong (---.hsd1.va.comcast.net)
Date: January 15, 2008 04:34PM

I noticed that there are now decals which resemble jungle cock feathers available. Having decorated rods with both decals and feather inlays, I can say categorically that decals are easier. And I wasn't attempting to align jungle cock feathers, either. Has anyone tried these decals? And, if so, is the effect achieved noticibly different from the real feathers? Just curious as I am now into my "rod building" season of the year.:) Thanks!
Tight lines,
Hunter

From ghoulies and ghosties,
and long leggedy beasties,
and things that go bump in the night,
Good Lord deliver us!

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Feather Inlays vs Decals?
Posted by: Bob Turpen (---.87.82.206.ip.alltel.net)
Date: January 15, 2008 04:42PM

Hey Hunter. . . I bought some of those fake feathers 4 years ago. They look so bad I've not had the courage to use them. I guess I'd rather use an imperfect looking feather than one that doesn't look authentic.,

"Life is too short to fish with UGLY rods!"

Posted by: Mike Barkley (---.try.wideopenwest.com)
Date: January 15, 2008 05:32PM

A decal will always look like a decal. Flat, no depth much like a photo of a tree will always look like a photo and not like a tree. Realistic depiction but obviously, not the real thing

Mike (Southgate, MI)
If I don't want to, I don't have to and nobody can make me (except my wife) cuz I'm RETIRED!!

Posted by: Russ Pollack (198.139.109.---)
Date: January 15, 2008 06:14PM

Go with the feather. I've seen these decals for a number of uses in fly-tying and crafts and they will not do the job on a rod. They'll look like racing stripes on a model car.

Do you bird hunt? 'Cause if so, you can get some absolutely beautiful feathers and tips from ducks, pheasants, chukar, qauil, and grouse.

Uncle Rus
Calico Creek Rods.

Posted by: Milton (Hank) Aldridge (---.maine.res.rr.com)
Date: January 15, 2008 06:51PM

Hey Mike -

"A photo of a tree will always look like a photo and not like a tree". Does that goes with If a tree falls in a forest with no one to hear it, then does it make a sound? - LOL

A few years ago I use those fake jungle cock on a Salmon fly and caught a fake Salmon - LOL

Hunter,

The decals look like crap as compaired to the real feather. Go with the real think. A little more work but the results are worth it.

Hank
On The Rocks Fishing
Wells, ME.

Date: January 15, 2008 07:55PM

Thanks, everyone. Guess I'm going to go with real feathers. I've used guinea soft hackles in the past, and they produce an interesting effect. And while I like the jungle cock inlays I have seen, I'm not sure those in my flytying collection will suffice. I think they may be too big. At any rate, I am trying to decide if I can come up with a rod decorating application for peacock herl. Lots of irisdescent colors for a bland graphite blank I would think.
Tight lines,
Hunter

Good Lord deliver us!

Posted by: Jim Gamble (---.126-70.tampabay.res.rr.com)
Date: January 15, 2008 08:00PM

Peacock feathers lose those colors to a great extent.

Posted by: Harold Blair (---.dsl.lgvwtx.sbcglobal.net)
Date: January 16, 2008 09:16AM

I just finished reading Russ Gooding's "Executing Feather Inlays". He recommends using an "acrylic" CP. What brands and where can I obtain such a beast? The two CP's I have are both water based.

Posted by: Jim Gamble (---.126-70.tampabay.res.rr.com)
Date: January 16, 2008 09:25AM

U40's Color Lock is an acrylic base and it does work well for feather inlays.

Date: January 16, 2008 10:04AM

Jim Gamble Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Peacock feathers lose those colors to a great
> extent.

Do you mean to say that the colors deteriorate over time, or that the irisdescent quality is lost when finish is placed over them? Thanks.
Tight lines,
Hunter

Good Lord deliver us!

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster