I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Popping Rod Characteristics? (Never used one)
Posted by: Marty Martin (---.gsp.bellsouth.net)
Date: January 15, 2008 01:38PM

I'm still rather new to inshore fishing and I've never used a "popping rod". I would love to know a little more about the actions of these blanks as well as what they tend to be good for. I tend to do most of my non-fly fishing in ponds for bass, in lakes for crappie and in the surf and inlets at the beach.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Popping Rod Characteristics? (Never used one)
Posted by: Scott Youschak (72.242.111.---)
Date: January 15, 2008 01:54PM

From the glossary above

Popping Rod
Rod used for casting shrimp under a "popping cork." Generally these rods have fast, light tips to prevent tearing the bait off the hook during the cast. Can be used for many other types of fishing as well.

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: January 15, 2008 02:55PM

I think that a popping rod is one of the most universal rods out there - for any type live bait application.
The butt section is plenty heavy to handle a hook set, but the tip is nice and light to prevent tearing off the bait.

This type rod is one of my favorites for building live bait rods for walleye and freshwather fishing.

Take care
Roger

Posted by: Marty Martin (---.gsp.bellsouth.net)
Date: January 15, 2008 03:07PM

So is it like a smaller version of a "live bait" rod?

Posted by: Steve Gardner (---.nc.res.rr.com)
Date: January 15, 2008 04:19PM

I use popping blanks for crank bait rods fishing for largemouth bass. it's a good blank when using treble hooks

Posted by: Doug Moore (---.dsl.hstntx.sbcglobal.net)
Date: January 15, 2008 04:31PM

They work well for small plastics, spinners, and spoons. Hard to beat as far as an inshore rod for the salt.

Regards......Doug@
TCRds

Posted by: Duane Richards (---.rn.hr.cox.net)
Date: January 15, 2008 07:38PM

Like Steve, I enjoy them as crankbait rods: slower action like fiberglass without the weight.

DR

Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---.ptld.qwest.net)
Date: January 15, 2008 08:14PM

Than you have the X Fast actioned popping blanks like the Rogues, Loomis P7000 and it's Shikari clone. The earlier Rainshadow IP 841 had a similar tip the the 7000s but I don't think as much backbone, can't say how the newer ones are.

Posted by: Steve Gardner (---.nc.res.rr.com)
Date: January 15, 2008 08:29PM

I have several of the Shikari 7000 blanks a little light for larger crank baits, but great for small ones like shadraps and such

Posted by: Duane Richards (---.rn.hr.cox.net)
Date: January 15, 2008 09:11PM

My favorite is the Baston IP 904. It's a 7'6" MH blank that will throw about any crank out there, WONDERFUL blank.

DR

Posted by: shawn storey (---.hsd1.ca.comcast.net)
Date: January 15, 2008 09:26PM

i love the cts popping blanks. medium light for throwing soft plastics either weightless or on 1/16 and 1/8 ounce jig heads. or medium action for topwaters and crankbaits. the medium light blanks are great for trout especially during the winter when their bite gets extremely light. add braided line to that and you can feel the different type of bottoms and structures your working your plastics through. takes a bit to get used to though when i first started using braid on popping blanks i was setting the hook or oyster shell and weeds

Posted by: J.B. Hunt (---.dsl.logantele.com)
Date: January 16, 2008 01:41AM

I have built a few 7' Crappie rods on the Popping blanks and the guys really like them for pitching minnows into brush with a slip float. Also they say they will cast a 1/16 oz jig a country mile. I am really sold on the Popping blank for this type Crappie fishing.

J.B.Hunt
Bowling Green, KY

Posted by: Bill Stevens (---.br.br.cox.net)
Date: January 16, 2008 07:42AM

Marty your post of "I tend to do most of my non-fly fishing in ponds for bass, in lakes for crappie and in the surf and inlets at the beach" is not a typical description of the intended use of a "popping rod" blank. A "popping" blank was primarily built for use with a live shrimp or plastic bait attached to a cork for speckled trout and smaller "rat" redfish.

These blanks tend to be moderate action and can be found in nearly any price range. A good choice will be to find the blank in an intermediate modulus with designations like 842, 843 and 844. The 2 is for specks, the 3 and 4 are larger specks and redfish. The listed uses above are correct as well. The moderate action when using crank baits is an advantage when treble hooks are present on the bait. Some of the longer steelhead blanks in the fast can be used by a knowledgeable fisherman without undue breakage if you are working the surf and want a rod to throw further. From a bay boat the seven footer is ideal.

Gon Fishn

Posted by: Harold Blair (---.dsl.lgvwtx.sbcglobal.net)
Date: January 16, 2008 08:42AM

Bill Stevens Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
A good choice
> will be to find the blank in an intermediate
> modulus with designations like 842, 843 and 844.

Bill: I am interested in making a few of these type rods also. What brand blanks are there for the 843 and 844?

Posted by: Bill Stevens (---.br.br.cox.net)
Date: January 16, 2008 09:32AM

Alphabetical - use all listedl - Amtak, Lamiglas, Rainshadow, St Croix and a new one that will be introduced at ICRBE- 2008 - repeatability of action, straight, finish, durability and price drive my purchases. Build mostly spirals and do not like gloss finishes due to excessive scratching during heavy use in bay boats. Build spinning rods on 3s and use the 4 when I do not know the history of the customer due to better chance of no breakage. When you build this blank be sure the seat and rear grip are the proper length and size.

Posted by: BobMcKamey (---.united.net)
Date: January 16, 2008 09:53AM

As Mr. Bill Stevens suggested, the "Traditional" Popping blanks were a moderate action. In recent years, some manufacturers have choose to start going a little more towards making the blanks more of a moderate-fast action. Some are even still going to fast action blanks and still calling them popping blanks. The ones that are "True" moderate action blanks or the mod-fast blanks make for great crank bait blanks, as suggested and have other uses in the crappie, bass and walleye markets. I would suggest when purchasing these type blanks, that you converse with your supplier about which manufacturers offer, which type of blanks. I don't know of any company that does not offer these type blanks. It all boils down to what type application that you want to use the blank for and whether you want a moderate, moderate-fast or fast type blank. When you decide that issue, your supplier should be able to direct you to the manufacturer that offers the type blank you would require.

Bob McKamey -- Custom Tackle Supply

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster