I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Rainshadow Rx7 Fly Blanks?
Posted by: Chris Rhoden (---.direcpc.com)
Date: January 13, 2008 04:32PM

Hey everybody, how is it going? Haven't been on the board for a while now. Was finally able to find a blank fitting the fly rod specs of a 6'6" 2wt. I was looking around Anglers Workshop and saw it in their Chalkstream Light blanks and saw something I liked. But like everything I had seen so far in that size, they had moderate actions. Then I saw the Rainshadow Rx7 blanks have a mod-fast action. I don't exactly need a fast action blank, but something with a bit more power than the noddles I usually see on smaller rods. I can't fish the Sierra winds to well with a moderate rod. Has anybody used the 6'6" 2wt. Rainshadow Rx7? Or the sereis in general? Seem decently priced, I just don't know about the performance.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Rainshadow Rx7 Fly Blanks?
Posted by: Keith Lovegrove (---.lyncva.east.verizon.net)
Date: January 13, 2008 04:58PM

Yes to all have built them and fished them myself for Trout and panfish and they are wonderfull little 2 wts. Have also built them for others and everyone has been very pleased with their performance. Call the guys at Fishsticks to the left and they will help you.

Thanks
Keith Lovegrove

Posted by: Dave Lester (---.mad.east.verizon.net)
Date: January 13, 2008 07:35PM

I built one of them, I use a 3 wt with it. For me, it's a little too stiff for a 2. I also have a 7'6" 4 wt and an 8' 5, both of those line correctly.

Nice blanks.

Dave

Posted by: Mark Griffin (---.lsanca.dsl-w.verizon.net)
Date: January 13, 2008 08:20PM

Welcoome back Chris,

I just build the RX6 F662-2 for the Eastern Sierra. Holding it and the RX7 IF662-2 side by side, I felt a little more confident that I could load the RX6 easier with 2wt. line, but that's just my taste.

We have all of the Rainshadow & Forecast Fly Blanks & Components at an extra 25% off right now on our "RBO Specials" page with free shipping. It's not linked anyhere on the site, only here ---> []

Mark Griffin
[]
C&M Custom Tackle
San Dimas, California

Posted by: Buddy Sanders (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: January 13, 2008 08:35PM

Chris,

I have several of them, and have built six or seven for others.

By far my favorite blank for a light rod. I do use a 3 wt. line on them and fish them for trout, bass, bluegills, and occasionally pike (little ones).

Amazing amount of backbone for such a light rod. I can set a #4 bug hook into a largemouth with it, and then land the bass.

Outstanding blank.

Buddy

Posted by: Chris Rhoden (---.direcpc.com)
Date: January 14, 2008 02:09AM

Thanks guys. Yeah, I forgot to mention I overlined my old 2wt. with a 3. If I wasn't concerned about the size of the fish I'm after, I'd use my 81/2' 4wt. But these little Sierra fish rarely grow above 12". What I Iiked about my old rod before it broke at the ferrule was that it had enough power to handle larger fish if I did manage to hook the occasional larger fish. I was surprised how well that rod handled both wind and a 16" brown that I managed to hook under some steep undercuts. Then I dropped a rod case on it after I got home from a trip.... and haven't been able to find a rod or blank that suits what I'm looking for till now. Thanks guys/

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster