I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

alps seat on spinning rod
Posted by: cody delmere (---.dhcp.ftwo.tx.charter.com)
Date: January 13, 2008 04:24PM

i am going to build an 8ft spinning rod for the texas bays.12 to 15 lb to fling manfield maulers downwind hopefully into the next county. i know it's not the lightest option but i really want an aluminum reel seat to match my black and gold penn slammer. i ordered the 16 triangular because it fit the diameter of the blank like i have done in the past for casting rods. now i am having second thoughts about the diameter(too small for comfort?) and having the apex of the triangle pointing up(again comfort). robert at fishsticks was very gracious and told me when i got it and held it i could replace if necessarry but has anyone done some of these( i know you guys have, moot question), maybe i could get a few thoughts from your experience of the best way to do this. thank you

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: alps seat on spinning rod
Posted by: Henry Dzielak (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: January 13, 2008 07:05PM

I've done four rods for spinning wih the Alps tri-16 seat. One of them is my personel rod that I use quite a lot. 6 1/2" 12 - 25lb line. Use it only in saltwater. The feel is quite different than the round graphite seat we have all used for years. I love the Alps seat, made well, classy looking. You give up alittle in weight, but for the look it is well worth it. Did notice doing some late fall early winter striper fishing that the seat was alot colder in hand vs. graphite. No matter, I was catching fish

Posted by: Tim Sullivan (---.socal.res.rr.com)
Date: January 13, 2008 08:35PM

I use the Alps16 on all my spinning rods. I personally prefer metal seats to the graphite ones. Just wish they made a trigger seat in metal. I'm sure you will be happy with it.

Posted by: Luis Morales (---.wor.ma.conversent.net)
Date: January 13, 2008 08:39PM

Have you checked out the Pacbay Channel Lock SLIM Spinning Reel Seats, I just received one yesterday in silver to go with my silver VS 150. Love the look and feel, more like a fuji 22 in outside diameter than a 20 as it is sold. They also have colors that would match your Penn.

Posted by: John Trella (---.hsd1.fl.comcast.net)
Date: January 14, 2008 12:33PM

Tim,

It may not be what you are looing for, but I think Lakeland makes the old 70's style metal trigger seats.

-JOHN

Posted by: Russ Pollack (198.139.109.---)
Date: January 14, 2008 12:53PM

Cody, we've built some 8' and 9' rods for similar uses in the backwaters and inshore waters here at the Cape Lookout area. The primary attraction for the ALPS reel seat was our customer's desire to match the trim on their rods, which the ALPS peice does very well. However, all of these folks had seen or handled other rods with this seat installed and decided that the unusual shape was no problem. The size wa the same (16), and it fit their reels and hands quite well.

However, it's a very subjective area and if you don't like it even before you install it, you're probably not gonna like it any better on your rod under actual use. No harm done, and your dealing with a super supplier and they'll help you any way they can.

Uncle Russ
Calico Creek Rods

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster