I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
NC rod show ?
Posted by: John Martines (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: January 13, 2008 03:47PM

I'm new here and really new to rod building, like have never tried. I've been looking at all the sites and learning here and there. I also get Rod Builder Mag, which is great. I only want to build for myself really but my question is, would it be worth it for me to go to the show at High Point NC? Or would it be out of my league more for the, already building not the never have dones. Either way I love reading about and learning stuff as it helps me understand how and why things are done to the rods I use. Thanks John!

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: NC rod show ?
Posted by: john timberlake (---.triad.res.rr.com)
Date: January 13, 2008 03:55PM

you will learn more and see more than is possible in 10 years on your own. you can hold and inspect blanks and components. it is truely a wonderful experience and as a bonus you get to meet so many great builders who are usually more than happy to help out. it will be well worth your while to come to high point.

Posted by: Edward D. Smith (---.ard.bellsouth.net)
Date: January 13, 2008 03:59PM

John,

If you are interested in Rodbuilding I would encourage you to go!! Make sure you go to Jim Upton;s seminarat first thing Sat.!! You will learn more in two days than you ever dreamed of! I don't care what your level of rodbuilding is but I can assure you it will exceed your expectations!! Regardless of your level you will learn more than you can comprehend.

Ed Smith
Flat Rock, NC

Posted by: J.B. Hunt (---.dsl.logantele.com)
Date: January 13, 2008 04:18PM

John; This is going to be my first trip also. Can't wait. I am also a new rod builder compared to the rest of these guys. Look on the left in the sponsors list at the top of the page and see "2008 Custom Rod Expo". On that page you will find all the seminars listed. Plus a lot of other info on the Show. Make plans to attend all of them if you can . One that will be great for beginners and pros alike is Mike Barkley's "Tools of the Trade".
Write down the ones that interest you the most and get them at the top of your list. You won't have time to see everything and attend all the seminars in 2 days. You will be busier than a horse fly at a rodeo !!

J.B.Hunt
Bowling Green, KY

Posted by: Anonymous User (Moderator)
Date: January 13, 2008 07:02PM

The entire event is geared to all rod builders - beginner to old pro, the guy who builds 2 rods a year to the guy who builds 200 a year. There is something for everyone. Nobody is left out nor overlooked.

Date: January 13, 2008 08:16PM

Thanks guy's , I think I'll be there. Just have to get resevations at one of the hotels. Sounds like a good time and I'm sure I'll get some great info. Thanks again!

Date: January 13, 2008 08:55PM

Several good hotels, at various price ranges, are listed on the event website at:

www.rodexpo.com

Posted by: Stan Gregory (---.ec.res.rr.com)
Date: January 13, 2008 10:01PM

John,,

It's perfect for your needs - no better way to get started in the craft, IMO.

I've been to all the previous events and can think of no better way to learn than the ICRBE Show. The seminars, alone, are worth the trip. Also, the vendors have tons of stuff at great prices and are a great source of info, as are fellow rodbuilders, all of whom you'll find eager to share info and help you out.

You will be astounded how well this event suits a new builder.

Stan

Posted by: Ken Preston (---.hsd1.md.comcast.net)
Date: January 13, 2008 10:15PM

Your next chance you will have to meet so many people: new to experienced (ie: celebreties- Doc Ski, Hiro Tanaka, Jim Upton, Mark Crouse, Billy & crew, David Boyle,Todd Vivian, The Batsons, Tom Kirkman, Tom Cole, Joe Emig JP Timberlake....an unending list really) & see so many products with direct interface with the manufacturers (Matagi, U-40, American Tackle, Lamiglas, Andy Dear, and many many more) will not happen agin until next year. IMO too many people miss this thinking that it is "too advanced" for their skill level - nothing is fatther from the truth. Each an every person I have ever met at these events is very willing to share everything they know - the only limit is TIME.

Posted by: Fred Yarmolowicz (---.hsd1.nj.comcast.net)
Date: January 13, 2008 10:32PM

john,where are you traveling from???

Freddwhy (Rapt-Ryte)

Posted by: Capt Neil Faulkner (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: January 13, 2008 11:28PM

Hi,

By all means go to the show. You will meet the greatest people and learn from them. You will see products, see samples of custom rods built by some of the best custom rod builders ever. I love RodMaker mag but also love to hold the things we see in the mag and talk to the guys who had the idea. AND, I have yet to go to the show. I base this on all the seminars that I have travelled to all around the US of A.

Have no fear about being a newbie. Remember we all started at some place and somewhere. There is only one side facet of this to look out for. I have yet to meet a rod builder that when you ask a question he/she stops talking in less then 30 minutes. Okay, that is an exageration but just trying to make a point.

I am going with 3 friends. One of them is one of the original 7 RodCrafters and is in his 70's. Another is in his low 80's and building stronger than ever. I am getting too close to 70 and the youngster in our group is over 60. So you can see that going to a show like this is for everyone.

The only bad decision is in NOT GOING.

Capt Neil

Posted by: Bill Stevens (---.br.br.cox.net)
Date: January 14, 2008 08:55AM

Captain Neal do not forget to visit the Swampland or Trondak booths - "old ones" will find spare crutches available in these booths - Swampland will bring a few pouches of Oatmeal for your groups sustinence during the long day. Sorry Ralph, I just could not resist!

Gon Fishn

Date: January 14, 2008 09:33AM

Capt Neil has been at this for a long, long time. Heed his advice. Of course, Capt Neil is in for a major surprise as this thing is light years removed from any of the old Rodcrafter seminars he's been to. As excellent as they were, the ICRBE is in a totally different league and I suspect he's going to be more than a little shocked that the custom rod building craft actually has something on this size and scale. Those who want to compare the ICRBE to any other rod building event are usually overwhelmed when they get here and experience it for themselves.

Date: January 14, 2008 10:15AM

Hi Bill,

Thank you for the invite. Now we know where to go. (actually we are always being told where to go, ha ha) Just had my bowl of oatmeal for today. Ha,ha!

Hey, while at the Show I hope to find an eatery that serves a great plate of creamed chipped beef on toast. Old Navy habits die hard!

Hi Tom,

I have been following this Show since it started. Have spoken with many attendees and read the reports. Finally all the planets are aligned properly and it is my turn to attend.

I realize that there is no comparison. One does not compare apples to oranges. Yes, I expect to be surprised but not totally as I have been a RodMaker subscriber since issue #3. Gee, how I wish I could get the first 2 issues. Anyone that wants to sell those 2 precious issues please contact me.

The biggest rod/blanks manufactureres are on the west coast and in the heartland. Yes, there are a couple in the southeast. Now the biggest and best rod building show of all time is down south. Gee, I wish we rod builders had something up in the north east to enjoy.

Just found out by phone that our little group now has a 5th member, all first timers and RodCrafters of old. Gonna be some good ole times!!!

What is the uniform of the day? Our business shirts or am I committed to wearing my new NERBS T shirts?

Take care.

Capt Neil Faulkner

Date: January 14, 2008 11:08AM

If we're going to allow pink shoes I supposed we have to allow about anything.

Posted by: Russ Pollack (198.139.109.---)
Date: January 14, 2008 12:46PM

We were considering wearing nothing at all but my wife said that'd only work for her.

Capt Neil, please stop by our table. It would be an honor to meet you - and that goes for any of the other legends listed above. For me, it's like going to a Senior Open golf tournament - I just get starstruck. I've been doing this for over 40yrs. This will be my third show. I've learned more in the past two shows than I learned in most of the years before. It's been directly responsible for us being able to get a start on a true rodbuilding business.

John, please stop by. We'll be building a rod from scratch at the table and if there's anything we can do to answer your questions, just ask. But go to the seminars as suggested above - those folks can give you the best information you'll ever get.

Uncle Russ
Calico Creek Rods

Date: January 14, 2008 05:15PM

Hi,

Just received a phone call and now our group is up to 6 attendees. keeps getting better and better.

Capt Neil

Posted by: Bill Batson (---.olympus.net)
Date: January 14, 2008 06:09PM

Capt Neil Faulkner,
We the Batson Team look forward to seeing you at the Big Show, please make sure to come by and give us a few minutes of your time.
Wow it seems to be getting bigger and better daily. No where will you find so much Talent / commitment to this ART / Industry under one roof in the World. We are blessed to be able to be part of his great gathering and look forward to meeting as many of you all as we can. Make sure to stop by the Batson Enterprises - Rainshadow/Forecast/ALPS product line booth and see what all the TALK is about.. I find the best way is to take one of our 120 page color catalogs and find a few things that you want to talk about and see/touch and then come into the booth. Or have some qustions ready as we will be very busy answering questions and showing products. We will be displaying over 300 different blank models and close to 40 Custom Built Rainshadow/Forecast rods..Not to mention over 1000 different component of all size and shape...We are a Wholesaler and DO NOT Sell products at the show, so if there is something that you know that you would like to purchase if it meets your satisfaction them please contact one of our Authorized Distributors and they will make sure to have it for you.
We look forward to the Big Show, see you all soon enough.

Bill Batson
CEO
Batson Enterprises
Rainshadow/Forecast/ALPS product lines
877-875-2381
www.batsonenterprises.com
batson@batsonenterprises.com

Date: January 14, 2008 06:20PM

Each of the manufacturers, such as Batson Enterprises, will have authorized distributors/dealers at the show. Most anything you see at a manufacturer's booth can be purchased at the event from one of the dealers right there on the exhibit hall floor.

Date: January 14, 2008 10:26PM

Hey! I'm going , you guys have twisted my arm! I really can't wait because building my own rods is something I always wanted to do, I just never thought it was so reachable. I've been and still do have my rods custom made but a few years ago my favorite builder died John Bushell of Betty&nicks in Seaside NJ and ever since I have been chomping at bit to do it. That's how I found this place! Great site and Mag! Thanks John

Fred, I coming from PA outside Phila. Not a bad drive and I have freinds in the area down there!

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster