I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

small biz accounting software
Posted by: Matt Dotts (---.hsd1.pa.comcast.net)
Date: January 13, 2008 11:45AM

My business has vastly outgrown my simplistic legal pad and ink pen accounting system. Trying to keep track of customers, orders, invoices, bills to be paid , TAXES ect.... is getting more than I can handle. It sometimes seems that I am spending more time on keeping track of finances than on building rods or selling components.

Any of you care to share reviews of the business accounting software your using? I was considering Quickbooks Home & Business but have some concerns after reading some on-line reviews. Of course non of them were written by rod buidlers that would have the same needs as me.

Thanks

matt

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: small biz accounting software
Posted by: Billy Vivona (---.ny325.east.verizon.net)
Date: January 13, 2008 12:21PM

I do not know how detailed or how much business you are doing. If it is truly small scale, you could probably use Excel and set everything up[ yourself. But that still qould require a lot of maintenance on your aprt.

Posted by: Matt Dotts (---.hsd1.pa.comcast.net)
Date: January 13, 2008 01:47PM

Billy that's just it. I have some things on an excel spreadsheet, do my invoices with Lotus, some other documents in Word, and yet others handwritten on legal pads. I would like an all-in-one program where everything is together and and cooperates.

thanks
matt

Posted by: Jim Gamble (---.126-70.tampabay.res.rr.com)
Date: January 13, 2008 01:55PM

IF you are doing a heck of a lot of business and it REALLY is worthwhile to automate ... QuickBooks Premier Manufacturing and Wholesale Edition is the answer. Here is the link ... [quickbooks.intuit.com]

This is the only software even close to reasonably priced that can accommodate "fabrication" of a single finished product from multiple "raw products" (e.g. custom rod from blank, guides, grips, seat, etc.). It will do everything you need ... parts explosions for PO's, taxes, invoices, A/R and A/P plus much more. The issue is learning time and being an immaculate record keeper.

Doing things by hand is not such a bad thing. Truthfully, no other method is as easy and fewer ways take less time. While it may not be pretty, it is very effective and meets legal requirements. IMO, you really need to consider the amount of time/money you would save via automation and make your decision based on that alone.

small biz accounting software
Posted by: james duvall (---.154.209.64.1dial.com)
Date: January 13, 2008 09:50PM

After 20 years in the silicone extrusion business,and going from "spread sheet " to accounting by computer, I highly recommend a program based on "double entry" accounting.Also,choose a program which allows you to use either cash basis or accrual basis accounting.In this way you can grow your business and modify your accounting as you need to,without adding costs to your system.Also,finding errors becomes much easier,and making corrections much simpler.Good luck with your endeavor.
Jim

Posted by: Erik Osterby (---.hawaii.res.rr.com)
Date: January 13, 2008 10:02PM

Matt, send me an email if you'd like, I've got lots of experience with taxes and accounting plus some experience with Quick Books.

Erik

Posted by: Russ Pollack (198.139.109.---)
Date: January 14, 2008 01:02PM

Matt - Jim Gamble's spot-on. It's the most affordable solution for a lot of businesses.

There's some setup work required but if you're already doing this on spreadsheets it'll be pretty easy to see the logic involved. If you need any help please email me directly and I'll do what I can.

Uncle Russ
Calico Creek Rods

Posted by: John Whiteside (64.25.150.---)
Date: January 14, 2008 01:53PM

Another vote for quickbooks.... I think you can get away with the simple Quickbooks pro, rather than the Premier edition. It will allow you to send by e-mail, hard copy etc..... Your accountant will love it.....

It will take a little set-up time, but after that it is a piece of cake.....

Posted by: Randy Klein (---.dsl.wcfltx.sbcglobal.net)
Date: January 14, 2008 02:59PM

Matt,
Quickbooks has an online version as well, if you want to take a look at it. I believe you can try it for 30 days. The good thing about this is you can access it anywhere if you have an internet connection and you don't have to worry about backups and upgrades. The bad is the on going monthly fee, and if your internet connection is slow then it would take extra time to do things.

Posted by: Jim Gamble (---.126-70.tampabay.res.rr.com)
Date: January 14, 2008 04:59PM

The reason that I suggested QB Premier for Manufacturing is that it allows "parts explosion" and writes PO's for components needed to manufacturer single items, etc.

The online version has some limitations - it can NOT do any inventory functions or PO's.

Again, I would suggest keeping a paper system UNLESS you have enough income/work to fully justify the added expense and time of a computerized accounting system.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster