I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Now I've done IT!!! rod bond
Posted by: Anonymous User (---.ptld.qwest.net)
Date: January 12, 2008 11:57AM

I have made a mistake on my rod, reel seat and guides don't line up, my fault, the reel seat is $100 plus dollars and the guide set is $200, plus dollars(roller guides), the blank is about $100.
The rod is an eight foot roller rod with a Daiwa 900H,
[www.rodbuilding.org]

I don't want to cut any thing but if I have to I will cut everything off the blank and start over.
The guides are under and over wrapped in "D" thread finished in silver metal flake.
[www.rodbuilding.org]

I have used Rod Bond on the real seat, what would be the best way to move the the reel seat.
Is there some way to heat the Rod Bond to twist or move the reel seat a 1/4 of an inch to get them to line up?
Any or all idea's would really help.
I have more photo's of the rod on the photo board.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Now I've done IT!!! rod bond
Posted by: Bruce Wetzel (---.norf.east.verizon.net)
Date: January 12, 2008 12:06PM

O.K. , I'm going to tell you a fix.....It's not for the squeamish. If the blank is hollow cut it right in front of the reel seat, install a solid fiberglass insert going at least 5 to six inches above and below the cut. Epoxy this in place with the correct alignment this time, and it will actually be stronger than the hollow blank at that point. If the blank is solid glass someone else will have to suggest a fix. It really isn't that hard to do, and best of all you don't have to redo anything else on the rod.

Posted by: Anonymous User (---.ptld.qwest.net)
Date: January 12, 2008 12:21PM

Thanks Bruce I thought of that, two things, #1 the blank is almost 1" at that point, #2 I don't have any sold glass that big.

Posted by: Raymond Adams (---.hsd1.ca.comcast.net)
Date: January 12, 2008 12:40PM

Tim,
With that much money invested don't you think the job should be done right in the first place?
Why risk a ruined blank or exspensive seat when the best thing to do is re-wrap the guides?

Just my opinion, see the quote below my sig.

Raymond Adams
Eventually, all things merge, and a river runs through it..

Posted by: Duane Richards (---.rn.hr.cox.net)
Date: January 12, 2008 01:54PM

I'd re-wrap the guides as well. Is the finish fresh? If it is, the finish can be removed fairly easily Tim.

DR

Posted by: J.B. Hunt (---.dsl.logantele.com)
Date: January 12, 2008 02:35PM

I vote for what Ray and Duane says. You have a lot of money invested in parts. To me it would be like welding a broken axle back together on a new Caddy instead of replacing it. I couldn't live with it. I would strip the guides and re-wrap. Let your conscience be your guide !

Bruce,,,Thats a definite fix,,,,but I'm too squeamish! I would loose my dinner !

-----"Don't let what you cannot do interfere with what you can do" ----Thanks Ray I love that !

J.B.Hunt
Bowling Green, KY

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/12/2008 02:39PM by Jay Hunt.

Posted by: Ralph O'Quinn (---.wavecable.com)
Date: January 12, 2008 03:57PM

Tim
The Trondak plant was supposed to have mailed the answer to your problem, but I will post it here as well so all can see

You must have a pot of water large enough to hold your reel seat and handle. Fill the pot with water sufficiently to cover the reel seat, and set the pot on the stove. Boil the water -- it must reach boiling temperature which is when the bubbles begin to form. A minute or two at this temperature will be sufficient to soften the epoxy enough to move your quarter of an inch. After cooling, the epoxy will be as good as new. The handle should be in the water only after it has reached its boiling point. I implied above that you install the handle in the water prior to heating it. Do not attempt to reach this temperature with a hot air dryer, you will simply burn up everything and not reach the epoxy.
Have fun
Ralph

Posted by: Anonymous User (Moderator)
Date: January 12, 2008 08:41PM

I'll offer one more possible solution - score the wrap at both ends of your over wraps - go all the way around at both ends. Peel the overwrap and the guide from the blank. Slice the epoxy that settled around the foot/leg of each guide and make sure the surface is smooth and level. Move the guides to the correct position, rewrap on top of the current underwrap, and refinish.

Posted by: Richard Hahn (199.173.225.---)
Date: January 15, 2008 01:43PM

another site also mentioned the solution to correcting mistakes of things that have been epoxied was to place them in boiling water only after the water has begun to boil and they suggested putting it into a heat resistant plastic bag ........... i guess like the kind you cook a turkey in ....... this will help preserve any thread or other work you may have done ......... and it will help you stay on your spline .......

Just a thought

Posted by: Anonymous User (Moderator)
Date: January 15, 2008 05:54PM

You needn't need the plastic bag unless you're dealing with a wood insert seat, or something that could be adversely affected by the water. In that case, it would be a good idea.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster