I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Spincasting Rod for 4 Year Old
Posted by: William Zafirau (---.neo.res.rr.com)
Date: January 11, 2008 04:43PM

One of my friends wants me to build his 4 year old son a panfish rod to fish with a spincasting reel....mostly bobbers and worms to start. It has to be black/charcoal and purple and $50 +/- in materials. Wants cork grips (I turn my own). He wants it to be something he can use as he grows, too. I've only built fly rods and was searching the forum for some advice on blanks, guides, and seats to use, but I couldn't find much. Any suggestions?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Spincasting Rod for 4 Year Old
Posted by: Doug Blacklock (---.fpcusa.com)
Date: January 11, 2008 05:00PM

try CUI sponsor on the left, valueline blank, componets all good

BIC doug

Posted by: Scott Youschak (72.242.111.---)
Date: January 11, 2008 05:12PM

i just built a rod for a friends's kid that should be born in the next week, I used one of Mudhole's camo blanks. They are perfect for little kids.

[www.rodbuilding.org]

[www.rodbuilding.org]

Posted by: Jim Reinhardt (204.73.103.---)
Date: January 11, 2008 05:21PM

You might try one of the Batson Forecast E-glass blanks. Glass is pretty tough and the price is right. I just used on of their ultra-light blanks to make a spinning rod for a fourth grader and it turned out very nice.

Jim

Posted by: William Bartlett (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: January 11, 2008 06:11PM

William,

From this William, This is my passion in life. To build rods and give them away to children. Since he is wanting something that the child will be able to use for years to come, I would suggest a 5' or 5'6" blank. I agree with Scott, mudholes blanks are awesome. I bought one of the camo blanks to build my youngest brother a spinning rod. They also have the cork grips, and the reel seats in camo to match. You can also get them in black.

Bill in WV

Posted by: Keith Lovegrove (---.lyncva.east.verizon.net)
Date: January 11, 2008 06:40PM

The first rod I built was for a 3 year old grand son for the same application. Get a E Glass rod from Fish Sticks to the right. His dad even uses this rod for mountain stream trout fishing.

Thanks
Keith Lovegrove

Posted by: William Zafirau (---.neo.res.rr.com)
Date: January 11, 2008 08:46PM

Probably go with the 5' Batson E-glass or a 5'6" purple mudhole blank. Any thoughts on guide size, spacing, and handle size/configuration used with a spincast reel? Never used a casting rod this small......

Posted by: J.B. Hunt (---.dsl.logantele.com)
Date: January 11, 2008 09:16PM

Could build a purple one from Mud Hole. Here is a spin cast rod I built for a girl.
[www.rodbuilding.org]

Posted by: William Bartlett (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: January 11, 2008 10:04PM

Take some cues off Jay's rod. On guide size, I'd probably go 10, 8, 6 to the tip. I usually go with the rule of thumb 1 per foot + 1 and the tip, For a 5 that would be 6 guides, and for a 5'6" it would be 7. Or you could stay with 6 if you don't want to use 7. Let the rod tell you how many to use.

Bill in WV

Posted by: J.B. Hunt (---.dsl.logantele.com)
Date: January 12, 2008 01:22AM

William; I used 10,8 , and 6's SF to the tip with a #6 tip. This rod was 6' , I used 7 guides and a tip, just like Bill Bartlett said. You can do wonders with a Purple blank. Color combinations are many. I used Silver frame guides with Gold inserts from Jan's Netcraft. They are cheap and pretty and a little boy won't wear them out. They are the same guides Berkley has been using for years, just different color.Give it some thought, kids love them.

J.B.Hunt
Bowling Green, KY

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 01/12/2008 02:02AM by Jay Hunt.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster