I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Feather Inlays
Posted by: Keith Lovegrove (---.lyncva.east.verizon.net)
Date: January 11, 2008 07:54PM

Hello Everyone

I am going to attept my first feather inlays and would like to see what methods with which products each of you have found to be successfull.Thanks in advance for your replys

Thanks
Keith Lovegrove

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Feather Inlays
Posted by: Anonymous User (Moderator)
Date: January 11, 2008 08:52PM

Most folks wet and stick the feathers down with color preserver. I seem to recall Bob Meiser once telling me that he just used water and that the feathers would stay put when dried. I haven't tried that method, however.

If you do a search you can turn up a ton of information on the subject. Russ Gooding once did a complete article on for us on feather inlays. It was in the Volume 2 #1 issue of the magazine. But you may be able to find what you need here in the archives.

Posted by: LARRY PIRRONE (---.socal.res.rr.com)
Date: January 11, 2008 10:00PM

i once downloaded russ goodings article from the golden witch website. its in an acrobat file there somewhere .

Posted by: Joshua Turner (---.andassoc.com)
Date: January 11, 2008 10:56PM

i stick mine down with 50/50 mix of water and flexcoat CP

after that, i give it a coat of straight CP, then go to finish

I've had no problems so far with the few I've done, and you can always scrap it and start all over before the finish

Posted by: Tony Childs (---.mi.dial.123.net)
Date: January 11, 2008 11:30PM

The last couple of these I tried have gone goofy and I could use some input as to why myself. Everything goes well until after finish is put on. The threadmaster goes on nice, but after say 15 to 20 minutes I get indentations in the finish above the inlay, kind of like it slowly sags into the feather. It is not real bad, or even noticable accept to me. Usually a light second coat cures it, but just wondering what is causing it. I am three for three with this issue. The last one, I even did two coats of CP.

Posted by: Chris Herrera (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: January 11, 2008 11:46PM

Keith,

After I design the pattern I am going to use, by actually laying the feathers out, I usually take a digital picture; helps my memory.

I then take the feathers and separate them into layers; meaning I will put the feathers that go on the rod first, together in a row, then the next layer of feathers . . . etc.

I put the feathers face up, right where I am doing my work so they are handy. If putting the feathers down over thread, I always put a coat of finish on before the feathers. This keeps the CP from altering my thread color, unless of course you want this. After the finish is well dried, I do my inlay.

I start by putting CP on the rod, just where the first feather will go. I use my wet CP brush to then pick up the feather, and place it onto the pole. This way, the feather gets put onto the rod and CP dry, and in its natural position. I will lightly brush CP onto the feather, following the contours and natural direction of the feather, so as not to cause it to move too much. I will only put one layer of feathers on, at a time.

I will let each layer of feathers dry, before putting the next layer on; this prevents a buildup of wet CP, that would take forever to dry. And if using alot of feathers, I will sometimes wrap a bandana around my nose and mouth, to keep myself from blowing the feathers away everytime I breathe out!

I usually add a couple of coats of CP, on the whole inlay after it is done. Sometimes more, to fill in low spots.

After letting it all dry, I usually put at least 5 coats of finish over. More if the feather pattern is large or bumpy.

Enjoy.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/11/2008 11:49PM by Chris Herrera.

Posted by: Chris Herrera (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: January 12, 2008 12:01AM

Tony,

I think that would just be the natural leveling property of the epoxy. When you apply, the low spots have a buildup thicker than the other areas, but as the rod rotates, the excess flows out of the low spots.

This happens to me, everytime. I don't worry about it, because I add a ton more epoxy after the first coat, as well as sanding or trimming the bumps down, after several layers are on. Then recoating with a smooth coat.

Posted by: Stan Grace (---.hln-mt.client.bresnan.net)
Date: January 12, 2008 10:51AM

With a little practice feathers may be applied with Permagloss. I use it exclusively with good result. It dries quickly but adjustment may be made on a feather by applying a fresh coat if it starts to set up before you are satisfied with your feather application.

Stan Grace
Helena, MT
"Our best is none too good"

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster