I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Cork Danger!
Posted by: Richard Kuhne (---.listmail.net)
Date: January 10, 2008 05:43PM

It has recently come to my attention that eating cork rings can present a serious hazard to your health. Suddenly my rod making world is turned upside down and I am no longer sure if will continue using cork for my handles. I am even considering tearing off all my current cork grips and replacing them with something safer. I fear the risk of using cork may exceed the benefits it offers on a rod.

Seriously, people need to look at things in an intelligent manner. Almost anything out there will hurt you if you do not apply some basic common sense to it.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Cork Danger!
Posted by: Jay Dubay (---.try.wideopenwest.com)
Date: January 10, 2008 07:14PM

Wash it down with a Beer! Just like I do. LOL

Posted by: Anonymous User (Moderator)
Date: January 10, 2008 07:15PM

If someone were to come on here and offer a lengthy discourse, filled with scientific sounding statements, on the inherent dangers of cork (and yes, cork is dangerous in many ways), we'd have a ton of builders swearing it off or asking about replacing it on their rods.

Your post may be tongue in cheek, but it's not really all that far fetched.

Posted by: Jeff Leonard (---.mc.net)
Date: January 10, 2008 09:29PM

Cork Danger you say!
With the new wave of urethane grip applications that have taken on such a buzz to the like that I have not seen in my 25 years as a hobbyist rodbuilder, what will the effect eventually lead to for the supply of good quality cork. Will this be the demise for quality cork availibility or offer better quality due to the eventual lack of demand. Just food for thought!

Jeff Leonard
I want to go fishing but hate hard water!

Date: January 10, 2008 10:43PM

Rod building doesn't account for much of the demand of cork. Neither do wine corks. Flooring and insulation take up most of the market and that market is falling. Fewer and fewer cork plantations are planting new trees. The supply will continue to dwindle for the foreseeable future.

Posted by: Henry Engle (---.nyc.res.rr.com)
Date: January 11, 2008 09:14AM

Tom Kirkman Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Rod building doesn't account for much of the
> demand of cork. Neither do wine corks. Flooring
> and insulation take up most of the market and that
> market is falling. Fewer and fewer cork
> plantations are planting new trees. The supply
> will continue to dwindle for the foreseeable
> future.
>
> ................

It sounds liek the problem is land. They arent making anymore of it to plant stuff on.

Date: January 11, 2008 10:10AM

Cork trees can only supply so many bark harvests. In years past older trees were removed and new ones planted for future harvests. That isn't happening any more. Companies are getting out of the cork tree business due to a reduced demand for the product.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster