I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Thread size
Posted by: tolan furusho (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: January 10, 2008 03:13AM

I'm building my first rod and purchased size "C" thread. I've read that "A" is the preferred thread size, but I also read that a slightly thicker thread is easier to work with. Being that this is my first, is it that much more difficult to use "A" size thread compared with "C" size thread?

Thanks.
t

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Thread size
Posted by: Fred Halfheimers (---.milwpc.com)
Date: January 10, 2008 03:54AM

No, use the C size and then get some A size for the next one, the C will be a little easier for your 1st rod.

Posted by: Fred Yarmolowicz (---.hsd1.nj.comcast.net)
Date: January 10, 2008 06:21AM

Depending on the type of rod the C may be harder.What type of rod is it?? C is hard to wrap and tie off on the tip end of a light weight blank.It also is overkill.

Freddwhy (Rapt-Ryte)

Posted by: Scott Youschak (72.242.111.---)
Date: January 10, 2008 09:37AM

If you are using underwraps you will run into problems. The thread for the underwrap should be smaller than your overwrap.

Posted by: Mike Barkley (---.try.wideopenwest.com)
Date: January 10, 2008 10:10AM

I've never used C, so I can't say about easier, but I would start with A. Why get used to one size and then have to get used to a different size.

Mike (Southgate, MI)
If I don't want to, I don't have to and nobody can make me (except my wife) cuz I'm RETIRED!!

Posted by: Bill Ballou (---.hsd1.tn.comcast.net)
Date: January 10, 2008 10:55AM

Two points. First the type of rod C thread may be over kill-but thats' not a bad thing. Most of all make sure that the guide feet have a smooth ramp for the thread. If so the A thread shouldn't be a problem. The A thread will produce a smoother finish. You might get a thin dowel if you don't have a extra piece of rod to practice each. Good luck-Bill

Posted by: Ken Preston (---.hsd1.md.comcast.net)
Date: January 10, 2008 11:09AM

"Back in the day" (nearly 30 years ago) I started this (ad)venture using size D and E threads - and I still use these darker threads as accent threads on open chevron and diamond wraps. They are easier to learn finger placement, thread manipulation, loop insertion, thread tension with than size A (and below silks).
If you use the size C and are considering underwraps burnish the thread well and apply two - three coats of color preserver or a THIN coat of epoxy (even if it is NCP thread) - it will make for smoother guide wraps and less frustration with "gap-osis". The size C will be more forgiving on the guide wraps - the thread will climb up the guide foot easier thereby building confidence - especially if you haven't developed a good eye for how to smooth and taper a guide foot or practiced putting in / pulling out tie off loops and trimming tag ends.

If this is a saltwater rod then use the size C - or even D is called for (IMHO required) on guide over wraps. The size of the thread will match the size (diameter) of the rod and the wraps will look fine.

On Freshwater / LIGHT Saltwater rods:
If you have patience; good natural or corrected eyesight; take ample time to prepare the foot of the guide and you are willing to take off what doesn't look good then by all means use size A - the final look will be much nicer - especially if you are considering a "see through" transparent or translucent look over the guides.

Posted by: Buddy Sanders (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: January 10, 2008 12:13PM

Tolan,

If you are not building a heavy saltwater type rod, stick with size A.

It's not harder to work with than C, and will actually be easier on a smaller freashwater blank tip.

None of this is difficult. All it takes is care.

Buddy Sanders

Posted by: tolan furusho (---.dsl-sea.seanet.com)
Date: January 10, 2008 03:13PM

Mahalo Nui Loa! (Thank you very much) This may sound foolish, but I never thought of getting a dowel and practicing before I started on the rod. I think I'm going to do that until I get the hang of it. I think my nephew's going to love this rod that I'm making for him and I'll be sure to tell him all about the advice and help my buddies provided. Thanks again brah!

Posted by: Tom Nair (---.ptldor.dsl-w.verizon.net)
Date: January 10, 2008 11:46PM

Yea, practice with A and get on with it. You will like it. Just wrap a whole bunch, also practice wrap with a guide in place. I must have practice wrapped 10 rods before I did the real deal. Good luck!

Posted by: Roz McKenzie (---.hay.connect.net.au)
Date: January 11, 2008 03:32AM

IMO unless it's a very light weight rod, I would be using 'C'. A lot easier to handle, if one is new to binding guides etc. Just practice a little first, you WILL get the hang of it........ it can be frustrating in the beginning.

Maintaining even thread tension is important & you will pick that up in no time at all. To achieve a good smooth finish it also pays to find yourself a 'packing tool', this will allow you to push the threads together...you don't want gaps...bad!

As already suggested above, practice on a piece of dowel first, also a good idea to practice using a contrasting thread colour, that way you can easily pick up errors.

When I first started out, I used nothing but 'C' although it didn't take long before I started using 'A', however on my larger rods I still use 'C' on both my under and over binds, as long as the former is well packed you won't have any issues. The most common colour for binding guides is black, so make sure you have very good lighting.

Good luck!!
cheers roz.

Posted by: Bill Ballou (---.hsd1.tn.comcast.net)
Date: January 11, 2008 08:47PM

Good packing tool is important. What works for me is old dental picks. Find them at flea markets or in hardware stores. The one I have one end has a 90 deg angle on one end. Very helpful in closing up gaps. Can also used credit card--if you can get it away from wife. I think it is great that you are building the rod for someone that will carry on the fishing and maybe rodbuilding.--Bill

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster