I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

work table
Posted by: Brent Keever (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: January 09, 2008 12:43PM

Has anyone out there found a work table that is six ft long. I would really like to build a bench as Tom has explained in the last two issues of the magazine. I have looked at a few I would like to find one at a good price if I could any and all suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Brent Keever
Building friendships through custom rods

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: work table
Posted by: Bill Stevens (---.br.br.cox.net)
Date: January 09, 2008 01:00PM

Solid oak entrance door + 2 x 6s + hardware + elbow grease. Since you can run casing into the ground 20,000 feet in the dark the table will not be a challenge! Get everything together after your look at the one at show. Make a large pot of gumbo and invite us all over and we can build one in a day!

Posted by: Anonymous User (Moderator)
Date: January 09, 2008 01:22PM

Solid wood doors make good table tops, but I think he's after the actual bench (legs, supports, etc.). Check local used office furniture stores and building salvage supply places. I got my Lyon bench for under $100 and it's extremely heavy duty.

The upcoming issue takes the workbench project to a new level. I think you're going to like it.

Posted by: Mike Barkley (---.try.wideopenwest.com)
Date: January 09, 2008 01:23PM

Formica countertops at Lowes, Home Depot make great work area. You can usually find them under $50 (sometimes even cheaper if damaged) Set them on a couple kitchen cabinets (seconds) or file cabinets

Mike (Southgate, MI)
If I don't want to, I don't have to and nobody can make me (except my wife) cuz I'm RETIRED!!

Posted by: Jim Gamble (---.126-70.tampabay.res.rr.com)
Date: January 09, 2008 01:24PM

Costco had a SERIOUS man bench for $199 that was built like a Sherman tank ... I would recommend looking there if you have one in your area. Even if not a member, they will let you in to look and usually even give you a single day buying pass.

Posted by: Lance Dupre (---.hsd1.la.comcast.net)
Date: January 09, 2008 01:27PM

Brent this is what I should have bought instead of my heavy 4x8 table. They offer in different lengths and widths.

[www.uline.com]

Posted by: Lynn Williams (---.natsoe.res.rr.com)
Date: January 09, 2008 04:22PM

Brent,
I went with the counter tops a couple of years ago and they work well for wrapping etc.
[www.rodbuilding.org]

Also you can design your own workbench at McMaster-Carr.
[www.mcmaster.com]
Go to home page and on the left side of the page were its say “Find Products” type in 1591

Lynn

Posted by: J.B. Hunt (---.dsl.logantele.com)
Date: January 09, 2008 07:19PM

I bought a new 12' counter top with back splash for $25.00. Go to a local Cabinet Maker Shop and you will find Counter Tops that he had to replace because the lady of the house didn't like the color . You can even put short sections together if you can't find one long enough.

J.B.Hunt
Bowling Green, KY

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster