I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Blank suggestions
Posted by: Bill Vance (---.ph.ph.cox.net)
Date: January 08, 2008 07:10PM

I am interested in building a fly rod for my Grandson (still too young to cast) and have been looking at the American Tackle Matrix, Pac Bay Rainforest and Forecast RX6 blanks. The rod will be a 7'6' four weght in 2pc. Do any of you experts have a history with any or all of these blanks and can make a recomendation?

If you have other blank suggestions please feel free to fire away. I plan on using Rec recoil snakes and a very light weight Rec Alum reelseat with spalted maple insert which I turned myself using a cordless drill (slow but can be done). Also open to thread color suggestions for any blank you think best.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Bill Vance

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Blank suggestions
Posted by: Steve Rushing (---.sip.asm.bellsouth.net)
Date: January 08, 2008 09:24PM

I have a lot of personal experience with the RX6s in lighter weights. I like them and the finished rods. They are often described as excellent blanks for the price. imo they are excellent blanks. I think the dark blue (as opposed to the old teal) gives you lots of options. Personally I'd make it bright and fun. Not a Snoopy rod just something bright & "cool". If he's old enought a favorite sports team color perhaps.

Posted by: eric zamora (---.dsl.frsn02.pacbell.net)
Date: January 09, 2008 03:31AM

i've fished the RX6 7'6 for 4wt but only in the four piece configuraiton. great blank.

eric
fresno, ca.

Posted by: Wayne Kohan (---.dhcp.knwk.wa.charter.com)
Date: January 09, 2008 09:17AM

I've built 2 of the 7'6" 4 wt 5 piece, one for my use and one for a charity @#$%&. It's a fun rod, actually my favorite at this time for smaller waters and for lakes. It's a medium action rod making it easy and fun to cast. I highly recommend Batson rods. On the last one I made, I screwed up the decal application (twice) and so I e-mailed Batson, and they had a new one in the mail that day, along with some tips on how not to screw it up again.

Wayne

Posted by: Lee Muschler (---.dhcp.stls.mo.charter.com)
Date: January 09, 2008 11:25AM

I built a 3-wt forecast and like it. I agree with previous post, it is fun to fish with

Posted by: Bill Vance (---.ph.ph.cox.net)
Date: January 09, 2008 11:49AM

Thanks, guys. I can always count on help on this board. Always good advice and quick responses. I have placed my order for the Forecast RX6 blank, recoil guides, top and stripper. These should be closer to bullet proof than others for a rambunctious boy. Also ordered a 6.5" cigar grip not yet inletted.. I will most likely need some advice on how to inlet a cigar grip when the inletting is so close to the diameter of the grip.

I also ordered a spool of royal blue metallic thread. For added glitz have any used all metallic thread wraps?

Thanks again for all your help/

Bill Vance

Posted by: Steve Rushing (---.north-highland.com)
Date: January 09, 2008 06:34PM

I used all Sulky Copper metallic for wraps on a hunter green blank. I really liked the look. Very different. I think the copper on the blue would be an eye catcher too.

Posted by: Tony Mortimer (---.hsd1.nh.comcast.net)
Date: January 14, 2008 10:57AM

I used metallic thread for the first time last month on a Tiger Eye blank. Was very pleased with it for wrapping ease and for appearance. Only difference I noted was I had to use two coats of Threadmaster when I usually only need one on standard A thread.

Tony M

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster