I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Diamondite and wood
Posted by: Mike Barkley (---.try.wideopenwest.com)
Date: January 06, 2008 09:21PM

I finally gave Diamondite a try and was impressed! Nice stuff. Seems to be exceptionally hard/ scratch resistant. and quick to cure. If you haven't tried it yet, you might want to give it a shot.

Has anyone thought about using it for a top coat on wood?? Since it's actually an adhesive, not an epoxy, I would think that with it's clarity, gloss and hardness that it might make a pretty durable finish coat on wood grips, seats, etc. Opinions?????

Mike (Southgate, MI)
If I don't want to, I don't have to and nobody can make me (except my wife) cuz I'm RETIRED!!

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Diamondite and wood
Posted by: John Britt (---.96-97.tampabay.res.rr.com)
Date: January 06, 2008 09:31PM

Mike I have started using it as a finish for wood pens , i wanted a finish that would cover a decal I used on some pens made I for my wifes company everyone in wood craft who have seen them think the finish is fantastic it's been about a month and thus far it looks like it was done yesterday extremely clear thin enough not to add weight yet thus far quite durable. I drove Jim and Tim Cambel a little wacky with questions and appreciate their help.
It is different and takes a little getting use to but as i said thus far is excellent for covering wood
John

Posted by: Jim Gamble (---.126-70.tampabay.res.rr.com)
Date: January 06, 2008 10:19PM

Bill Rice has been testing it on burl cork and the results have been very positive. I have used it extensively for making a capsule in butt caps for various items. I have been happy with everything tried so far with the product. I just got done with some additional testing on threadless wraps and can assure you that the stuff is almost bulletproof. In addition, I just completed a few weeks of playing around with silk threads and Diamondite and those results have been stellar. I am going to try to bring some samples to High Point for Tim's booth ... maybe Bill Stevens will as well, he has been dabbling too.

Date: January 06, 2008 10:23PM

Sounds Great! I'm going to give it a shot on some black walnot split grips. Hope I'm not sorry. So far I have found this stuff to be really impressive/ To thin for marbling though (can't have everything, but I can still cover marbling with it)

Mike (Southgate, MI)
If I don't want to, I don't have to and nobody can make me (except my wife) cuz I'm RETIRED!!

Date: January 06, 2008 11:37PM

Mike ... I don't have ANY trouble marbling with Diamondite. Either mix and wait for it to thicken up OR apply and wait for it to start thickening and then start to work - either way it works fine.

Date: January 07, 2008 12:09AM

Jim,

Thanks. I am surprised that as thin as it is it will give good covering for a base coat though! Have to try it!

Mike (Southgate, MI)

Posted by: Mark Griffin (---.socal.res.rr.com)
Date: January 07, 2008 01:56AM

I am in the process of putting feathers on a few rods and I too will being trying it. Sounds good to me and I like seeing the postive results on this board.

Terry

Posted by: Bill Stevens (---.br.br.cox.net)
Date: January 07, 2008 08:37AM

Jim & John - bullet aimed at you! "Dabbling" is defined as building custom rods in Louisiana for customers in South Florida. The untimate indignity - a Tiger building rods with the horrible blue and orange thread. Diamondite is the "Tigers Roar" for Gator pin encapsulation in butt caps. I guess you know who is playing in the "Ship" tonight.

Geaux Tigers

[www.rodbuilding.org]

Will the real "Swamp Boyz" please stand up!

Date: January 07, 2008 09:35AM

Bill - I too have nightmares involving Blue and Orange thread ... I am an alumnus of FSU - Garnet and Gold are my preference. BTW, when I "dabble" it is with a telescopic graphite pole and a crappie jig ... which is what I will be doing later this week. Oh yeah, tell your boys that it is definitely required to issue a second blackeye to those OSU boys tonight - sooner or later they will quit coming around. LOL

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/07/2008 09:38AM by Jim Gamble.

Posted by: John Britt (---.96-97.tampabay.res.rr.com)
Date: January 07, 2008 09:45AM

LOL Bill who ever sold Florida the idea that blue and orange is a great color combo is most likely selling bridges in Arizona now and is quite wealthy.
John

Posted by: Edward D. Smith (---.ard.bellsouth.net)
Date: January 07, 2008 10:34AM

Going back to Mike's subject; I have found that I can use the acrylic pigments with the Diamondiate for marbling. I like Diamondite for marbling better than epoxy. I can get better results useing the orange and blue acrylics with the Diamondite. The biggest problem I have with it is that it is too tuff. Imposible to remove.

As for Bill Stevens, Last year in High Point, I gave him an orange and blue Tiger hat to wear for the game tonight. There is another Tiger (that wears orange and blue)that roars in the SEC and it is alot closer to Bill than Florida!

War Eagle,
Ed Smith

Posted by: Bill Rice (---.254.156.60.Dial1.Orlando1.Level3.net)
Date: January 07, 2008 01:32PM

Mike:

As Jim G. said I have been " Dabbling" with it also and so far IMHO" it is just plain good stuff !" It makes the Burl Cork POP out at you with a rich look . I fish my rods hard . As of today after a hard weekend still looks good as the day I finished it. I think it has been on the cork for 2 months and has held up well.
I have also used it on Walnut & cork split grips with no trouble for the same time frame. It does add a little weight but not too much for me. As for thinking it will be too slick on a butt grip ?? I like it ,but I also wipe my hands after baiting up, so it is not too slick at all, Might be a little colder to hold up north , But here in the ORANGE & BLUE SWAMP (lol) It's good enough for this GATOR !! Good Luck Bill I'll be rooting for the Tigers !....But the trophy is in the Swamp watch out next year. I have tons of orange & blue thread if you get tired of making those rods send them my way, the old boy left one bridge to my house. (lol)

Tight Lines
Bill Rice

Date: January 07, 2008 03:19PM

Ed, Good point that I hadn't thought of!! How do you replace guides and remove residue from the blank??? Does heat help??

Mike (Southgate, MI)

Date: January 07, 2008 03:27PM

Mike - Heat, cut, peel ... very little if any residual, must be another one of the "magical" properties of being an adhesive and not an epoxy. It really sticks together well and peels off in a contiguous fashion.

Posted by: Edward D. Smith (---.ard.bellsouth.net)
Date: January 07, 2008 08:18PM

Mike,

My expereice has been that it is very difficult to remove guides under any circumstances! I was afraid that it would take more heat than the blank could take! What I did was, cut the thread with an Exacto knife, and push with much effort to get te guide off. I then had to us 220 grid sandpaper to remove the rest of the thread and diamondite. I then applied a coat of Permagloss to the sanded area. Then replace the guide. One has to be very careful or you can damage the rod. That is my biggest problem with this material.

I know and understand the chemistry of this stuff. I'll explain it to you in HP. It is one tough animal!

Ed Smith

Posted by: Tim Campbell (---.lsanca.dsl-w.verizon.net)
Date: January 08, 2008 01:31PM

Hey Ed,

When are you going to publish those reports? I want to read them.

Thanks for all your help and I look forward to discussing it with you in detail at the show.

Tim Campbell
Swifty Manufacturing
(626) 963-1142

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster