I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Cutting Corian on a wood
Posted by: alan hutchison (---.mke.netwurx.net)
Date: January 06, 2008 11:34AM

Anyone have any exp cutting corian on a wood lathe? Did you run the lathe at a slow speed or high speed? What did it do to your cutting tools? Any other information you could add would help, this is my first try at turning some of this stuff.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Cutting Corian on a wood
Posted by: Anonymous User (Moderator)
Date: January 06, 2008 11:38AM

It's easy to turn. You will have to keep your tools sharp and this could mean sharpening them several times during the operation. Still, I think it turns and cuts much better than most of the acrylic plastics. I turn it at about the same speed that I'd turn the same size wood square.

I'd recommend wet sanding - that keeps the fine dust down and also seems to put a smoother finish on material. Just lay a towel or something like that over your lathe bed ways and put a little water on the corian and the paper. Rewet as needed to keep the sanding residue flowing.

Posted by: Ken Finch (---.coi.bellsouth.net)
Date: January 06, 2008 12:22PM

I have some experience working with Corian. Tom is right, go about the same speed as you would with the wood, but a little slower is better than a little faster. Take light cuts. Gouges or scrapers both work. BUT I like to take the corners off the turning square FIRST on a benchtop belt sander. Turing to get the squares to round with Corian on the lathe just takes too much time and dulls the tools too much IMO.

It finishes great because there is no grain so sanding is a breeze. I also wet sand it and finish up with MicroMesh polishing pads. You can get a really nice gleam with the MicroMesh! If you want to go even further you can polish with the HUT product for plastic pens. Great stuff.

Date: January 06, 2008 12:40PM

Thanks for the information, off to the garage to turn some corian

Date: January 06, 2008 04:14PM

I only sand through 600 wet and then buff with Dico blue compound. It just makes faster work of the entire process, but I know that some guys really like the extremely fine grits on the Micro Mesh sanding pads.

Posted by: Billy Vivona (---.nycmny.east.verizon.net)
Date: January 06, 2008 06:03PM

One thing to mention is the Corian is quite heavy. I do not know how much compared to othe racrylics & stuff. I turned a few checks and seat trim with it, as well as used it as a Bumer. It knid of threw the balance out of wack on one rod which had a large OD grip. IT's NOT a goodmaterial for braided lines and a bumper, becasue it will groove (at least on the fish I catch)

Date: January 06, 2008 08:50PM

I assume this is being used for a reel seat insert?

Posted by: Lynn Williams (---.natsoe.res.rr.com)
Date: January 07, 2008 11:49AM

The Corian that I have is in ½” sheets and I know it comes in ¾”.
Can you get Corian in other thickness besides ½” and ¾”?
How is everyone cutting and mounting the Corian to fit on the Mandrels to turn?

Lynn

Posted by: Billy Vivona (160.254.20.---)
Date: January 07, 2008 12:11PM

Hole saw. What I ended up doing is parrafin the MAndrel,and 5 minute epoxyign the Corian onto teh MAndrel so it did not spin. I didn't know what else to do, the Hole saw bores at 3/8", and was loose on teh 3/8" Mandrel. I'd love to hear what others do.

Posted by: Dave Orr (---.nt.internorth.net)
Date: January 07, 2008 12:58PM

Billy
I use a hole saw that uses 1/4" drill bit. Once the blank is cut out you can use any size drill bit you need for enlarging the hole in the center.

Regards
Dave

Fishing is Life the rest is just Details

Posted by: Billy Vivona (160.254.20.---)
Date: January 07, 2008 01:09PM

Even though, the corain seems to spin around on the mandrel a bit unless I glued it on. YOu were able to get a tight fit and successfully turn it with chisels?

Posted by: Mike Barkley (---.try.wideopenwest.com)
Date: January 07, 2008 09:07PM

Here ya go! This will lock ANYTHING into place for turning, sanding or anything else. I've turned down 1/8" pieces of acrylic with no problems. It cant spin [www.rodbuilding.org]

Mike (Southgate, MI)
If I don't want to, I don't have to and nobody can make me (except my wife) cuz I'm RETIRED!!

Posted by: Dave Orr (---.theedge.ca)
Date: January 07, 2008 10:15PM

Mike Barkley Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Here ya go! This will lock ANYTHING into place
> for turning, sanding or anything else. I've
> turned down 1/8" pieces of acrylic with no
> problems. It cant spin
> [www.rodbuilding.org]
> /photo/3178/cat/500/page/3

Yep!!!! That's it!!!
Works mint!!! (mint: Canadian for real good) LOL

Regards
Dave

Fishing is Life the rest is just Details

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/07/2008 10:16PM by Dave Orr.

Posted by: J.B. Hunt (---.dsl.logantele.com)
Date: January 08, 2008 01:55AM

I use a 1/4 " or 3/8 drill rod threaded on one end . Slide the set collar up close to the threads and lock it down then use a nut and washer to cinch up the Corian. It wont spin. It's as simple as that.

Lynn: I'm using salesman samples 1/2" thick and 2" square. I find and mark center, drill hole for whatever size mandrel I'm using then grind off the corners . Mount it on a mandrel as described above, chuck it up and turn it.

J.B.Hunt
Bowling Green, KY

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/08/2008 02:21AM by Jay Hunt.

Posted by: Lynn Williams (---.natsoe.res.rr.com)
Date: January 08, 2008 09:14AM

Thanks for the information everyone.

Lynn

Date: January 08, 2008 10:13PM

I had some mandrels made from a local machine shop ,threaded on one end at the other end I use a set collar like Mike has, then I lock it down with a nut on threaded end. I can usually get it tight enough so that it wont turn on me, has worked well for me.

Posted by: Mike Barkley (---.try.wideopenwest.com)
Date: January 08, 2008 11:22PM

Ala,

Try sliding a piece of tubing spacer to move the nut and collar away from the stock. That way you can turn/sand/shape right down to the spacer without hitting nut/collar. Works great!

Mike (Southgate, MI)
If I don't want to, I don't have to and nobody can make me (except my wife) cuz I'm RETIRED!!

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster