I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Best Saw for Cork Cutting Jig?
Posted by: Scott Bazinet (---.range217-43.btcentralplus.com)
Date: January 05, 2008 03:41PM

Hi All

Just ordered a cork jig from Custom Tackle. Can anyone point me in the right direction as to saw choice for it? What size are the slots that accept the saw blade? I think Ive read on here that they were .015" but not sure? I have found a straight handled dovetail saw. .015" thick with either 10,14 or 15 TPI. Am I on the right track?

Cheers
Scott

[www.solwaycustomcomponents.com]

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Best Saw for Cork Cutting Jig?
Posted by: William Bartlett (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: January 05, 2008 03:51PM

Scott,

What you need is the Japanese trim saw that cut's on the pull stroke. If you'll do a search on Cork Jigs you should find several discussion posts on this very subject. I'm sure Mike Barkley will chime in too, with a good response.

Bill in WV

Posted by: Raymond Adams (---.hsd1.ca.comcast.net)
Date: January 05, 2008 04:01PM

See here Scott

[www.rodbuilding.org]

Raymond Adams
Eventually, all things merge, and a river runs through it..

Date: January 05, 2008 04:27PM

Thanks

I found this one [www.axminster.co.uk]. Its 6 inches long but the only problem is that theres no dimension from backing to cutting edge. Anyone know what is the min I will need?

Wondering why the razor worked so well as opposed to the jewellers? Number of teeth?

Posted by: Scott Parsons (---.nc.res.rr.com)
Date: January 05, 2008 04:28PM

I,m sure Mike barkley will see this post. But if you bought the jigs that are blue like in the attachment above then you need a saw with .010 thickness and you can get them from the hobby lobby. I don't have the web page handy. sorry. The instructions call for a jewelers saw but they take way too long to cut the cork and are very fragile. The jigs are awsome and with the right saw you will love them. Scott

Posted by: Mike Barkley (---.try.wideopenwest.com)
Date: January 05, 2008 04:50PM

Scott, Raymond and Bill have it right. If you are using the older silver colored jigs, a standard "japanese" flush cut saw availble just about everywhere is fine. The new jigs have slots that are .010. The saw here is the only one that I have found that will fit. It fits exactly! (It needs to be a "razor" saw with straight teeth, NOT offset. [www.hobbylinc.com] If they're out, try other hobby places, just remember that this is the ONLY model that fits. It also needs to have a deep enoug blade to reach all the way to the bottom of the jig. This saw is awesome and even works on acrylics. Did you get the jig/base that holds the pie jig?? I think that Custom Tackle also has them but if not, contact Scott Parsons. The old set of jigs is good but the new one is awesome!!!

I would pretty much forget about messing with jeweler's saws. The blade are like a piece of fuzzy wire and it took me about 10 blades ans 20 min to do ONE ring of Andy's cork. IWith the razor saw, It takes about 2 min. and that saw isn't going to ever break. The only thing is that I don't have any idea how long those teeth are going to hold out from scraping the metal bottom of the jig although inserting a thin disk of wood or cork in the bottom should help!! At about $5, I would recommend buying 2 or 3 saws.

Mike (Southgate, MI)
If I don't want to, I don't have to and nobody can make me (except my wife) cuz I'm RETIRED!!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/05/2008 04:52PM by Mike Barkley.

Date: January 05, 2008 05:10PM

Mike

Thanks a lot for the info. The one I ordered is the blue anodized one. Is this the new one?

Posted by: Lynn Williams (---.natsoe.res.rr.com)
Date: January 05, 2008 06:02PM

Scott,
I have both type of cork jigs and tried all kind of saws but nothing work very well. Mike posted the information on the Razor saw from hobbylink about a month or so back so I order one to try. This saw works great with both jigs its cuts very clean. “Thanks Mike”
I would take Mike’s advice about buying more than one saw their only $4.79 each.

Lynn

Posted by: Mike Barkley (---.try.wideopenwest.com)
Date: January 05, 2008 10:08PM

They were out of stock for awhile but I ordered two more a couple ours ago! (this thread reminded me!!!)

Mike (Southgate, MI)
If I don't want to, I don't have to and nobody can make me (except my wife) cuz I'm RETIRED!!

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster