I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Clear finish......i need help
Posted by: Rob Savino (---.hsd1.ma.comcast.net)
Date: January 04, 2008 08:23AM

I have been building a bunch of rods and researched how to get a good finish. I am not getting the finish that I require. Too many bubbles etc.... I have tried everything I can think of to correct the problem. I am working on rods now, if you have time give me a call to talk about possible solutions.
Rob 617-283-5801

Boston, MA

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Clear finish......i need help
Posted by: Steve Gardner (---.nc.res.rr.com)
Date: January 04, 2008 08:39AM

What type of finish are you using?
How are you mixing?
How are you applying the finish?
What are you presently doing to try and correct your problems?

Posted by: Anonymous User (Moderator)
Date: January 04, 2008 08:40AM

RodMaker Volume 9 #1 probably has all the information you need. Bubbles don't occur naturally in your finish - you have to be doing something to put them in there.

Don't mix quickly (a mechanical mixer is even better as it provides a bubble free mix right on the go).

Don't brush your finish on. Allow it to flow from the brush to the wrap without brushing anything. It should only take you about 15 seconds to coat a guide wrap. If it's taking you longer than that, there's a good chance you're brushing the finish on and this creates bubbles.

Don't heat the finish (or overheat) as this can boil some finishes and actually create more bubbles.

Nearly all finish problems result from the user trying to do too much to the finish - the stuff works well but you have to let it do what it knows how to do. too much intereference on the part of the user from thinning, heating, stirring, brushing, etc., only keep the finish from performing the way it could otherwise.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/04/2008 08:50AM by Tom Kirkman.

Date: January 04, 2008 08:49AM

Tom, read everything you have written about, Done them all. Still very little bubbles.
Rob

Boston, MA

Posted by: Bill Stevens (---.br.br.cox.net)
Date: January 04, 2008 09:26AM

Two part epoxies - Heat your shop and work faster. I am making the assumption that you are not talking about first coat application of poorly packed thread wraps. If you shop is above 70 and you put the finish on in thin enough coats, in less than 10 minutes, no matter how many bubbles are in the stuff they will ALL break out. If you are using Diamondite and overmixing the above MAY not be your answer.

Posted by: John Britt (---.96-97.tampabay.res.rr.com)
Date: January 04, 2008 09:38AM

Rob if you are referring to very tiny in size bubbles that is generally caused through mixing, you might want to consider Swifty finish that seems to be the very best I have found with bubble release but do a search on its use as it is different
John

Date: January 04, 2008 09:39AM

I am trying to get my shop much warmer. I will see if it helps. I am working Permagloss and Flexcoat right now.

Boston, MA

Posted by: Anonymous User (Moderator)
Date: January 04, 2008 09:44AM

You say you have "done them all." So you're using a mechanical mixer and still have tiny bubbles in your mix?

Date: January 04, 2008 10:01AM

Oh No!- Now Perm Gloss has been thrown into the mix. Bubbles in that stuff are caused by entirely different conditions. The outgassing of the solvents causes bubbles being internally trapped when it is applied to thick. If you are using Perma Gloss as a color preserver and then applying a two part over the top the bubbles are being caused by the Perma Gloss releasing bubbles. You problems can be fixed with details that are tough to get on an internet board. Do you know about humidity conditions for Perma Gloss cure?

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 01/04/2008 10:04AM by Bill Stevens.

Date: January 04, 2008 10:03AM

Yes, made one like your article. I still get some small bubbles on the transfer to the syringe, and there is some in the mixing, but the only ones left are very small, but only a random amount of bubbles.

I am using flexcoat. I just made a wider stainless tool to apply a light coat with no bubbles. The coat so far is thin and not an even coat, but bubble free. The next coat I am hoping to level the finish. I shouldn't need 2 coats though.

Boston, MA

Date: January 04, 2008 10:17AM

I am looking to achieve a professional bubble free finish. I like Permagloss finish and Flexcoat. I tried Diamondite,but for me it was worse than flexcoat.

Boston, MA

Date: January 04, 2008 10:19AM

No. No. Permagloss testing by itself and flexcoat alone.

Boston, MA

Date: January 04, 2008 10:44AM

Which finish are you having bubble problems? Where - over what - how many coats - temp of area - temperature of blank - time of application - flame - are you preheating finish components and diminishing the working time - "one liner" here will probably not get your problem solved. Check you email in a few minutes -

Date: January 04, 2008 10:55AM

That's why I asked to talk to someone.
Rob

Boston, MA

Posted by: Daniel Burney (---.224.91.75.ip.alltel.net)
Date: January 04, 2008 11:26AM

i always have some tiny bubbles in my mix(flexcoat) but get rid of them after transferring to the foil by holding up to the light and exhaling warm air on it. my question is, what causes the dimples? instead of bubbles that are obviously air bubbles, i get dimples.

Posted by: eric zamora (---.dsl.frs2ca.pacbell.net)
Date: January 04, 2008 12:09PM

i use flex coat lite build the most and can get bubble free finish. so it's possible. good luck, wish i had time to call but i'm out of here headed to the mountains to find inclement weather and there are many many with more experience.

eric
fresno, ca.

Posted by: Jim Gamble (---.126-70.tampabay.res.rr.com)
Date: January 04, 2008 12:15PM

Dimples are actually caused by contamination.

daniel burney Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
my question is,
what causes the dimples? instead of bubbles that
are obviously air bubbles, i get dimples.

Posted by: J.B. Hunt (---.dsl.logantele.com)
Date: January 04, 2008 01:04PM

Jim is correct, dimples are caused by contamination. After you pour it onto the foil, use a soda straw and gently blow all the bubbles away.

J.B.Hunt
Bowling Green, KY

Date: January 04, 2008 04:11PM

Concave dimples (craters) contamination - Convex Dimples (humps) thread stick ups or air escape volcanoes

Posted by: Daniel Burney (---.224.91.75.ip.alltel.net)
Date: January 04, 2008 06:33PM

hmmm maybe its time fer new syringes? other than gummed up(outside) syringes, i go straight from the flexcoat bottle to syringes, to throwaway mixing cups, to foil, i dont know. then i apply with throwaway flexcoat brushes to fresh painted (duplicote auto paint) rod, and newly wrapped guides.

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster