I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Burl Incursions
Posted by: Michael Blomme (---.spkn.qwest.net)
Date: January 01, 2008 08:53PM

Good Evening All,
I just finished turning a fly rod grip from a piece of maple burl and discovered several somewhat large incursions. While these incursions do not affect the strength of the the grip or the general appearance, I would like to fill and seal them before applying Tru-Oil. I am writing for assistance with this problem. I thought I might try a Cyano-Acrylate glue for this purpose. Having never used this materail before, I would appreciate any advice from any of you who have used the CA glues or tried to fill these incursions in terms of thier use and advice as to brand and type. I found two such glues in a catalog that I thought might work. One was called Quick Cure Zap and the other was called Mid Cure Zap-A-Gap. They seem differ primarily on cure time. I would appreciate any help or advice that any of you may have. My thanks for this help in advance.

Mike Blomme

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Burl Incursions
Posted by: john timberlake (---.triad.res.rr.com)
Date: January 01, 2008 09:10PM

i would use a medium or thick ca glue. you can mix some sanding dust in with the ca if you choose. let dry then shape, sand and finish. you can use epoxy as well, but i prefer the ca. you can get creative and add tint for a unique look as well. good luck

Posted by: Mike Barkley (---.try.wideopenwest.com)
Date: January 01, 2008 09:32PM

I haven't done it, but I've seen where people have added metal dust (Inlace, etc) into the glue and then filled the void for a really nice touch!

Mike (Southgate, MI)
If I don't want to, I don't have to and nobody can make me (except my wife) cuz I'm RETIRED!!

Posted by: jack richardson (---.dynamic-dialup.coretel.net)
Date: January 02, 2008 12:04AM

I have used CA glue for many years building models of boats using wood.

I suggest you use a CA glue that has a slow set up time. This allows the glue to seep

into gaps before it hardens. Also, if you can, set your work up horizontily; this also helps

the glue to settle "down" into any gaps. Allow plenty of drying time.

I don't use products much that speed up drying; just for the reason we are speaking
of here - - - that is to allow glue to fill void spaces .

Several times I have had good success with "Elmers" carpenter glue with dry sawdust
mixed in. When dry it sands good.

jocko

Posted by: John Britt (---.96-97.tampabay.res.rr.com)
Date: January 02, 2008 07:34AM

I would suggest trying [www.penturners.org] search on CA for stabilizing and filling tons of info
John

Posted by: Lance Dupre (---.hsd1.la.comcast.net)
Date: January 02, 2008 10:59AM

Go to Michaels or Hobby Lobby and pick up a bottle of embossing powder in black or any other color they have that you might want to use. Take some thin CA glue and drip a couple of drops in the spot that you want to fill then pour some powder in and then another drop of CA. Let it harden then repeat the process until the void is filled then use your tool to shape the handle then sand and finish as usual. The black embossing powder blends in with the natural spalt lines in the wood and looks natural or you can use colored powder for a more contrasting look.

Posted by: Andrew White (---.ks.ks.cox.net)
Date: January 02, 2008 12:04PM

CA+ will work great for this application. Just fill up the holes in your piece. Your best bet is to let the glue dry while sitting horizontally. When it's completely dry--usually 4-5 hours--fill in some more. As the glue dries, it'll shrink back a little bit. Because of this, I always overfill my voids. Then, once the void is completely full, and even overfull--I re-sand it. What you'll find is that the hardened CA+ glue will work and sand just like the wood. At this point, just coat your wood with your finish of choice. I'm not sure if the CA+ actually absorbs any finish or not, but since I use Tru-Oil, I can never tell exactly where the gloss of the CA+ ends, and the gloss of the Tru-Oil begins.

Personally, I don't like the look when powders, metals, etc. are mixed in with the CA+ glues. IMO, it kinda' takes away from the look of a beautiful piece of wood.

Be careful to see if your void goes all the way through. It really stinks to fill a void with CA+ glue, then find out that you've just glued the grip to a mandrel.

Posted by: Michael Blomme (---.spkn.qwest.net)
Date: January 03, 2008 12:23PM

Many thanks to all who gave me advice. Andrew, I sent you an e-mail, but it was returned indicating that it was an incorrect address. Thanks for your ideas as well. Mike barkely, I have tried inlace for trim rings and like it, but on burl I hate to add anything that might detract from the natural grain of the wood. Again, thanks one and all for your advice.

Mike Blomme

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster