I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

which rod wrapper would you buy
Posted by: shawn storey (---.hsd1.ca.comcast.net)
Date: January 01, 2008 01:16AM

well since it's the new year i think i need to get a real wrapper instead of this hand wrapper. it works fine and does it's job ok but i can't shave cork or hypalon if i need to adjust a grip after it's on the rod so if you had your choice what rod wrapper would you buy. i'm also getting a lathe here soon so i can turn handles so bear that in mind

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: which rod wrapper would you buy
Posted by: Mick McComesky (---.244.36.2.Dial1.StLouis1.Level3.net)
Date: January 01, 2008 02:40AM

Been wrapping for near 30 years on a cheap hand wrapper that is still marketed. Been working grips for the same time by hand.

If you want to build a rod using the best tools that can be purchased, go with Renzetti.

If you want to build a rod using the best info you can get... stick around.

Posted by: Buzz Butters (---.dotnet.com)
Date: January 01, 2008 09:07AM

custom power wrapper, had it for 15 years, great machine, buy one extra support stand

Posted by: Robert Tignor (---.hsd1.va.comcast.net)
Date: January 01, 2008 09:37AM

Flex Coat DL747 . Call me and I will tell you why . With all the surf rods you build you need a power wrapper . This is a great wrapper and will do want you want to do without having to buy extra rail pieces to extend the length .

Robert

Posted by: Ken Preston (---.hsd1.md.comcast.net)
Date: January 01, 2008 11:22AM

Depends on how much money you are willing to spend and what you want to do with it .

Renzetti wrapper is very solid (probably the heaviest most stable platform) outfitted likely near $850.00 (extra support stand / live tailstock / center bore. // I have one with almost all the bells and whistles //

Custom Tackle Supply - was offering one but I think the man that was building them fell ill. You'd have to contact Bob McKamey for info. // Saw one and liked the design a tad better than the Renzetti - thread carriage could move past the supports //

Anglers Workshop has a very nice Power Wrapper (CPW) - about $560.00

American Tackle / Pac Bay wrappers around $300.00 // I have - one of each //

Flex Coat wrapper --- no experience

I think if I had it to do all over from the start I'd buy a mini-lathe (Micro Lux by Micro Tech) and one of the "low end" rod wrappers. Use the mini lathe for turning all sorts of parts and center boring (handles, reel seats, wood, cork) and the rod wrapper only for thread work. Can't do thread on a mini lathe and really can't do as many different things on any of the rod wrappers as on a mini lathe.

Posted by: Steve Broadwell (---.7.89.75.ip.alltel.net)
Date: January 01, 2008 12:15PM

I've built several hundred rods with the handwrapper described in the library. About a month ago, bought the American Tackle wrapper, with the upgraded Pac Bay chuck. It is so much better. Not so much for the power wrapping, although, once you get the hang of it, it really is a lot quicker. But, more for the rod supports, not having to move everything around between every guide wrap. For what I do, this is a great machine. And, I have money left over to upgrade from my Grizzly Hobby lathe to a real lathe, if I want. That is probably the next step for me, as it would be interesting to get into wood and acrylic seats.
Steve Broadwell

Posted by: Terry Morrell (---.dsl.wchtks.sbcglobal.net)
Date: January 01, 2008 12:40PM

Shawn,
I have two Renzetti lathes. One is for wrapping and the other is to turn cork handles. If I had to do it all over again I'd buy a Renzetti for wrapping and go with a different lathe for turning handels. The Renzetti is a little pricey once you get everything set up but you won't have to buy another one. I finally ended up buying a little bit bigger Jet lathe to do my turning because it will do a lot more than the Renzetti will.

Posted by: John Whiteside (64.25.150.---)
Date: January 01, 2008 12:43PM

I have the Angler's workshop power wrapper. I am about to purchase the lathe kit, so I can turn grips and such...... You will burn up the motor if you don't get the lathe kit with centering chuck. The roller supports are nice. I have not used any others to compare to, but I like the one I have.

Posted by: shawn storey (---.hsd1.ca.comcast.net)
Date: January 01, 2008 03:36PM

since i'm buying a lathe already i was thinking the renzetti would be overkill and be overkill on my budget to. i was looking at the flexcoat unit but i like the self centering chuck of the pac bay and american tackle units. i currently have my wrapper setup on an 8 foot work bench with about a foot to spare on either side so i'm kinda limited in the room category for both the apartment i'm at while in california and my house in texas

how do the pac bay and american tackle units hold up? anybody have any major problems with them and if so how hard is it to get parts and how expensive?

oh and i'm looking to blow about 1000 bucks on the lathe, the wrapper, and i'm gonna try and get the 2 disc wonder weaver if i have enough left over. the lathe i'm looking at is gonna be around 400 after shipping. i may save for another week if it means i can get a more durable dependable wrapper

Date: January 01, 2008 03:58PM

Again a 'personal thing' - I've been looking for a small, sturdy lathe for over a year . The Micro Lux is gonna set me back around $740.00 for the bits & pieces that I will add to it (four jaw chuck mainly for holding square stock etc). Either the AmTak or the Pac Bay -- they're pretty much the same unit - unless you are looking at the new Pac Bay on rails rather than the channelled aluminum bed. Look around I think you can pick one up from one of the sponsors to the left for under $300.00. I realize that puts you at / over the limit . I have to say that I think that the Renzetti (for you since you're buying an independant lathe) is unnecessary. A lathe that can counterbore and has a cross feed (like a machine lathe) is altogether more versatile and a good set of weaving looms might work out for you as the overall most cost-effective application of funds. Use the lathe as a lathe and the wrapper as a wrapper. If you are doing mainly two piece rods you COULD cut off the bed extension on the aluminum bed version wrapper to give yourself enough distance to handle most two piece rods (most anything over 7'6" could be a problem even for the full length 2 piece bed) since the motor & jaw support takes up 10 to 10.5 inches off the 8 foot length). I might take some juggling on your total length working length - you may have to move one unit in front of the other and then back - unless you can get at both sides of the bench (roll-around configuration).

Date: January 01, 2008 04:01PM

Shawn --
Mark Griffin has a Pac Bay wrapper for 259.00 - with a three piece bed ... that should work well for you!

Posted by: Russ Pollack (64.241.28.---)
Date: January 01, 2008 04:49PM

We've used the PacBay wrapper for several years now and had no trouble with it except as follows:

1) The basic chuck tends to "open" when turning handles/grips. Get the upgraded "Deluxe" chuck.

2) It would be nice to have larger wheels on the rod supports - something around 1-1/2" or 2" diameter. There's nothing wrong with the delivered supports (and yes, as suggested above, please buy at least one extra support unit) - I just like the larger wheels. I've bought five units from a custom maker but while the 2" wheels are great, the workmanship leaves a bit to be desired, so I'm having a set made by a machoine-shop rat who is a long-time friend, in MI. But this is not necessary at all - the original supports are just fine.

Get some extra O-rings for the motor/chuck connection. We've never needed any replacements for the O-rings used on the support wheels.

The PacBay, for the price, provides enough power to work cork handles and even exotic wood grip inserts. It has a fully flexible variable speed control that allows very nice wrapping of underwraps and, with a little practice, cross-wraps as well. You can argue thread carriage design but the bottom line is that the carriage runs smoothly enough to provide professional-level wrapping. I can't answer for the new rail design (as opposed to the C-channel base on our unit) but if it's anything near as good as the original, you'll be very happy with it.

BTW, we're gonna break down and get a mini-lathe too, probably at the Show.

Uncle Russ
Calico Creek Rods

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster