I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Seat Replacement
Posted by: J.B. Hunt (---.dsl.logantele.com)
Date: December 31, 2007 06:51PM

I got a boo boo I need some help with.
I replaced seats on two identical rods. ( replaced with FUGI ACS Seats) Did not replace the cork grips,they were in good shape.
The problem is, the cork grips are a little smaller in outside dia than the rear of the seats, about 1/16 of an inch all the way around. I thought of a few ways to make a smoother transition from seat to grip;

1. If I hadn't been squirrel hunting when I glued up the seats I could have added another ring of cork.
2. I can install a large id rubber winding check. I can get one the right id.
3. I can file down the rear edge of the seat to make better transition to the cork. But how do I get the original finish back where I filed.
4. Build the cork up with black thread in that small area and put finish on it, but would it hold up.

Any other ideas would be greatly appreciated

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Seat Replacement
Posted by: Raymond Adams (---.occam.rpt.pmt.org)
Date: December 31, 2007 07:35PM

Had that situation once myself Jay. Couldn't come up with
a good fix then so off came the grip. I don't think adding
anything to the cork side is going to work (except maybe flocking)
or the perfect size & color rubber check and the check may not
hold up there very long under hard use. Maybe the right Matagi part??
Um???

When it happened to me, my knowledge and component selection
was quite limited compaired to now but I still think ya got a challenge
there Jay.

Raymond Adams
Eventually, all things merge, and a river runs through it..

Date: December 31, 2007 08:11PM

If they made a 2 piece Matigi check, I could probably work with that. Couldn't get a ring over the butt unless it stretched.
Actually , one of them is close to a perfect fit. It will be ok, but the other rod, the second one I did, has that 1/16 difference in od.
A fish probably couldn't tell the difference, but I know it isn't right.

Posted by: Bill Stevens (---.br.br.cox.net)
Date: December 31, 2007 08:24PM

One burl ring or hardware store chair bottom plastic insert - turned to fit - a check in this area would take too much of a beating - mess with the graphite seat and polishing will be near impossible - plastic bottom bushings in black and white.

[www.rodbuilding.org]

Date: December 31, 2007 09:43PM

Bill that would work if I didn't already have the seat epoxied on.
I might be able to inlet for 1 ring of cork, split the ring, put it in in 2 pieces.
Can you think of any reason that wouldn't work ?

I am thinking , " Don't let what you cannot do interfere with what you can do "

Posted by: Marc Morrone (---.dsl.airstreamcomm.net)
Date: January 01, 2008 09:03AM

Jay - I have had the same problem. Wrap with what ever color thread you would like, I suggest using CP if it is any color other than black so the cork grain does not show thru. A coat or two of rod finish, and you are good to go. It will hold up no problem, and looks pretty nice too.

Happy New Year,
Marc

Posted by: sam fox (204.73.103.---)
Date: January 01, 2008 09:40AM

Jay, I have solved the same problem with thread or a ring of gudebrods butt winding wrap applied with super glue and covered with a coat of finishing epoxy.

Posted by: Anonymous User (Moderator)
Date: January 01, 2008 10:49AM

I like Sam's approach if you are dead set on keeping the seats in place and not redoing them.

Date: January 01, 2008 11:02AM

Thanks guys ! That's what I will do. Inletting another ring of cork was my next choice.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster