I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

GSB 108-1L and Guides?
Posted by: Luis Morales (---.bstnma.east.verizon.net)
Date: December 31, 2007 01:18AM

Useing the new guide concept for this light to med plugging stick, paired to a VS 150, 20#-30# braid, I'll probably start with 30 stripper, 20, 16, Batson VS3 guides, size 8 Fuji T-ATSG intersects up to the top and a size 12 Fuji CMNST or T-MNST if I can get one. I would like to keep my intersect guides and top at the same height so the line makes a straight line from the first intersect guide out, thats why the jump in ring size at the top.

Does anyone know or think this is unnecesary and/or will this change in ring size effect the casting and fishing of the rod?

m

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: GSB 108-1L and Guides?
Posted by: Marty Martin (---.gsp.bellsouth.net)
Date: December 31, 2007 09:55AM

I would step down the guides more quickly - maybe VS3 30, 16 or 12; then running guides out to the tip. Also, I would look at the Fuji FST/BFAT concept tips. I used one in an 8 ring one time to match the height of size 7 running guides (my thinking was the same as yours regarding line path), and I suspect a size 10 would match the height of 8s; and I don't think you need a tip as heavy as the MNST style on a rod that size. I am unfamiliar with VS reels and I know that your first ring will be dictated somewhat by spool size; on the other hand, braid will shoot through small guides and I don't think you want guides that are too heavy on a stick as light as that one.

Posted by: Anonymous User (Moderator)
Date: December 31, 2007 10:07AM

I would let the reel, handle and blank tell me what guide sizes I need to use.

The slight change at the tiptop won't affect much, but if you want the line path perfectly straight so much the better. Some builders no longer use tiptops but instead wrap a single foot guide on at that location. This gives you the same height all the way out.

Posted by: Luis Morales (---.wor.ma.conversent.net)
Date: December 31, 2007 02:09PM

Are size 8 fuji L style guides too small as running guides on a 9 ft surf rod? I could see myself using these, and then a size 10 fuji FST would match heights perfectly.

I understand the purpose of using higher frame guides for the stripping guides (smaller ring=lighter weight guide) , but does the higher frame have anything to do with the running guides? I'm assuming no.

Thanks

Posted by: Anonymous User (Moderator)
Date: December 31, 2007 02:18PM

No, you want the running guides as low as possible.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster