I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

underwrap question - new builder
Posted by: Mike Clements (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: December 30, 2007 10:47PM

Starting my first heavy salt water rod and want to put a underwrap before wrapping guides. Do you coat the underwrap with CP or a light epoxy coating like Flex Coat Lite or no coating at all. I'm a little worried about thread on the underwrap moving when I put on the guides. I plan on using A size thread for both wraps. Or should I use a larger size for the guide wraps.

Thanks for all response in advance.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: underwrap question - new builder
Posted by: Milton (Hank) Aldridge (---.maine.res.rr.com)
Date: December 30, 2007 11:11PM

Hi Mike,

I under wrap almost all my Saltwater rods and always put a good coat of epoxy on before starting the over wraps. By putting a good coat of epoxy on the under wraps it make it much easier to put the over wrap on and pack them. Some people just use CP and do ok doing it that way. I like the heavier coat on the under wraps because it not only makes it easier to do the over wraps but reduces the problems with bubbles in the finish with trying to to both wraps at the same time.

How heavy a rod are you building? The reason I ask is unless you're doing a real heavy rod under wraps are not needed. I use under wraps because I like how they look on a heavier rod not because they are protecting the blank from damage from the guides. With proper prep of the guides you'll should have no problems with guides damaging the blank.

Hank
On The Rocks Fishing
Wells, ME.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/30/2007 11:21PM by Milton (Hank) Aldridge.

Posted by: Russ Pollack (64.241.28.---)
Date: January 01, 2008 05:14PM

We CP our underwraps before we do the guide wraps. We do it because it ensures that the CP gets onto the underwrap threads, and which it might not do if you apply it just to the guide wraps. This eliminates bleeding or staining coming up from the underwraps into the guide wraps.

Uncle Russ
Calico Creek Rods

Posted by: Chris Garrity (---.phlapafg.covad.net)
Date: January 02, 2008 10:11AM

Hank is right: underwraps are not needed from a performance standpoint. Because I'm a klutz, though, and my rods get banged around a lot, I use them a good bit, especially on surf rods. On my surf rods, I use Size A for the underwraps, and Size D for the overwraps. I never use anything on the underwraps, as the Size D wraps easily over the smaller A.

On the rare instances where I wrap A over A (like on a couple of boat rods I built last year), I think I did use color preserver, not because I was worried about the thread color fading (they were metallic wraps, which don't need CP), but because I found it easier to wrap over them after CP had been applied. Using CP might help you the same way, and if you're not using metallic thread, it will also help preserve the contrast between the underwrap and the finish wrap. This might be important to you, as the look one gets from contrasting underwraps and finish wraps is why most underwraps are done.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster