I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

what sort of wood???
Posted by: Tom Slater (---.qld.bigpond.net.au)
Date: December 30, 2007 08:56AM

hey i am getting ready for my next build and would like to turn a custom split grip handle much like the FUJI ips split grip kit thingy and was wondering in Tasmanian Houn Pine is an alrigth wood to use??

it has a very light color and the grain is just awesome in some pieces. i want a fairly light colored wood so this fits the bill plus i can get nice big blocks for free.

i am guessing ill have to coat it in somethign like tru oil or somethign similiar.

any thoughts??

Thanks In advance
Tom S

oh and happy new year to all you very helpful people over here is aus its curretly 24 hours and 25 minutes to go

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: what sort of wood???
Posted by: Anonymous User (Moderator)
Date: December 30, 2007 10:29AM

I'm not familar with that type wood so it's not something I can really recommend or not. Perhaps somebody else here has used it before and can better steer you in the right direction.

You could always just try a piece and see how it does.

Posted by: john timberlake (---.triad.res.rr.com)
Date: December 30, 2007 11:48AM

if you will send me some i will test it for you. ha i love trying different woods. try it and see. if it has burls and/or voids you need to make sure it wont come apart. a little CA will usually take care of that. how about some pics?

Posted by: Ken Preston (---.hsd1.md.comcast.net)
Date: December 30, 2007 04:23PM

Huon pine is a very fine grained wood that is used to make high end furniture in Australia (judging from your email extension you already know that) -- it should work very well for you. You might want to try to use CA as an overcoat. You're very lucky to be able to get that wood!

Posted by: PAUL FANNON (---.hba.bmx.wholesalebroadband.com.au)
Date: December 30, 2007 04:38PM

Hi TOM,

We are rod builders in Tas where your piece of timber comes from.

Huon pine is best known as a boat building timber, second to none.

It has a very high oil content which resists rot and marine borers.

The timber was also used to make a lot of furniture. The prized pieces for this purpose, was called BIRDS EYE HUON PINE. Very small specks or dots are distributed throughout the timber.

Your timber is very easy to turn on the lathe and you will love the smell if your piece is not totally dried out. Even then you will get a whiff of the oil. It never seems to go away completly

The only downside to this wood is it may look a bit plain in a small piece, unless you are lucky enough to have a heavily figured piece.

You have a very special piece of timber there Tom, I kope you can make something beautiful from it.

Paul

I fish therefore I am.
www.hookeduprods.com

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/30/2007 04:40PM by paul.fannon.

Posted by: Tom Slater (---.qld.bigpond.net.au)
Date: December 30, 2007 08:00PM

yes i am very lucky my grandparents live in tassie and they can get me pieces of the birdseye houn pine its just beautiful wood.

i hope i can do it justice :)

thanks for the feedback and when i get onto the project il lbe sure to post up how it goes and some pics aswell.

thank you

Tom S

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster