I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Now I remember the second question......
Posted by: Mark Griffin (---.socal.res.rr.com)
Date: December 29, 2007 03:03PM

Question #2 Stabilized woods.....

Does anyone out there use NON-STABLIZED woods in their handles and if so, are you getting good results? If you are getting good results, in other words, the wood is not swelling, cracking, and changing the handles, what are you doing to the wood to achieve your results?

I have some really nice un-stablized wood and I want to make some handles and actually I have already made some handles with the stuff. During a search of the archives on this site, I ran across a method to stabilize the wood and I don't really want to do that, but I will if and ONLY IF I HAVE TOO!

As a rule, I always use stabilized wood in my handles.

I was thinking.......probably my first mistake.......That if you glue the handle together with wood spacers or end pieces as I usually do in my rods, then I could coat the wood or treat it and it would not change, swell, crack or do other funny things that would ruin a handle....causing a really bad day.

Most of my fishing is in the High Sierras and sometimes in really bad weather. Is this going to be a problem? Please advise...

Terry

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Now I remember the second question......
Posted by: Anonymous User (Moderator)
Date: December 29, 2007 04:04PM

As you know, wood moves. I coat my non-stablized wood with Tru-Oil and frankly I've not have any problems thus far. Many of the rods I've used wood trim pieces do see weather like rain, heat, cold, etc. but I've not had any problem thus far. What, if any problems you have will more than likely depend on where and how you use the wood.

Date: December 29, 2007 04:25PM

Thanks Tom, that is exactly what I was looking for. Someone like yourself that has used the non stablized wood.

Thanks and I am coating mine with TRU OIL as well and was wondering if that would work. Is it me or does TRU OIL dry slowly? I could only find the spay and I have been spraying it on a cap and then brushing it on, DRIES VERY SLOWLY, like two days before it is not tacky.

Thanks again Tom.....Imagine what rod building would be like without this board as a resource. Way Way Cool!!!!

Terry

Posted by: Duane Richards (---.rn.hr.cox.net)
Date: December 29, 2007 04:27PM

Terry,

Another faster option is Permagloss. I use that over my non-stable wood.

DR

Date: December 29, 2007 04:32PM

Another good idea..............did not think of that.....

Thanks DR

Terry

Posted by: Anonymous User (Moderator)
Date: December 29, 2007 04:39PM

Either way, the wood is still going to experience some movement as the environment it's used it changes. Not as much as if you left it unfinished, but at least some.

Posted by: Mike Barkley (---.try.wideopenwest.com)
Date: December 29, 2007 05:29PM

Terry,

I use non stabilized wood on most of my rods and have never had a problem. I generally use Tru Oil, but recently have been using a polyurethane gel from Craft Supplies USA and really like it! [www.woodturnerscatalog.com] If you do any lathe work at all this is a great catalog to have

You might also contact J.P. Timberlake as he uses numerous finish types

Mike (Southgate, MI)
If I don't want to, I don't have to and nobody can make me (except my wife) cuz I'm RETIRED!!

Date: December 29, 2007 07:13PM

Tom and Mike ...thank you both for the info. I will check out the catalog.

I am leaning to TRU OIL and then check out Permagloss and then check out the polyurethene.

Thanks guys

Terry

Posted by: Mark Blabaum (---.dial.mhtc.net)
Date: December 29, 2007 07:32PM

Terry, I rarely use stabilized wood. I have been having great luck with CA (super glue) and BLO (boiled linseed oil) finish on my wood handles. I have found most of my problems with swelling and contracting at different rates has been self inflicted. I really have to be aware of the direction of the grain in the different layers of wood and the need to keep the grain running the same direction. Most of my problems have occurred when I run a vertical grain against a horizontal grain. The other thing I have found is give the wood a week or two before final sanding, (give it a chance to acclimate) I use veneer for accents and many times the grain in the veneers will raise after the finish is applied. If I give it a week or two and then sand it again the grain will stay down and not reappear. Mark

Posted by: David Wyatt (---.dsl.netins.net)
Date: December 29, 2007 07:42PM

Terry ,

Lightly wetting the wood before the final sanding and letting it dry will raise the grain and then can be sanded smooth.
Has anyone used the friction applied shellac finishes that the pen turners use?I'm pretty happy with tru oil but always looking for better products. Dave

Posted by: Andrew White (---.ks.ks.cox.net)
Date: December 29, 2007 07:51PM

I almost always use non-stabilized woods. I've never had a problem. I think the big issue is to make sure that your wood--especially if it's found wood--is at a proper moisture level. I also like to let my wood sit a little between steps. For example, I'll cut my blank, let it sit for a few days, drill my holes, let it sit, epoxy it on a mandrel, let it sit, sand/finish, let it sit, then put in on the blank. I don't know that letting it sit between steps really helps any, but a good pen-turner suggested that to me years ago, and so I've used it.

Posted by: Larry Pollock (---.sol.dsl.dynamic.acsalaska.net)
Date: December 29, 2007 08:18PM

Another great finish is what my junior high school shop teacher called French Polish. It is 50% shellac and 50% linseed oil. It is applied with a rag while turning piece. A very nice and waterproof finish. I have used it on two homemade foregrips and all is well after a year and a half.

Larry

Posted by: Rich Gassman (71.237.10.---)
Date: December 29, 2007 08:42PM

I think if the wood is dry when you make a handle it would and should last a very long time. Tru-Oil works very well or else it would not be used on gun stocks that see bad weather from time to time. I cannot ever remember seeing a cracked gun stock. I do not think gun stocks are stabilized wood but just sealed well for weather. I think Tru-OIl has a pot life once it has been opened. The longer it has been open the longer it takes to dry. I get a new bottle as soon as I start having drying problems. Have a great day, Rich.

Posted by: William Bartlett (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: December 29, 2007 08:56PM

Terry,

I've turned grips out of Apple wood from a tree that my Dad cut down. Like Rich says, if you let the wood dry down to about 5 - 8% content it should be fine. I used Tru-Oil also, with no problems.

Bill in WV

Posted by: Bill Moschler (---.hsd1.tn.comcast.net)
Date: December 29, 2007 09:43PM

I think it matters some how the rod is going to be used. I have made most of my flyrod reel seats from unstabilized wood. And I have bought seats from winston, struble, and REC that did not have stabilized seats. But you use a fly rod for a half day or so, generally don't keep the reel and handle under water for a long time, and dry it and put it up. However if you through a rod out on a boat deck in a clamp and leave it their half a season, the wood seat is going to come apart.

In use, I have one maple insert under a cap and ring seat and I sometimes have a hard time getting the reel off the rod at the end of a long day because the seat swells a little. I tend to use wood that does not swell much, like burl redwood or elm, and I soak the insert in thinned varnish for a few days and then let it dry before I install and final finish it. No surface finish is going to keep wood from picking up some moisture.

I have a couple of seats from Venneri that were stabilized. I turned my first stabilized seat the other day. I don't really like it. It is acrylic stabilized, burl cherry, but I just don't like the real light color. I don't know how Robert stabilized the wood he used, but the color of the wood is a lot better.

Posted by: J.B. Hunt (---.dsl.logantele.com)
Date: December 29, 2007 10:30PM

Used to inlet , fit and finish quite a few gun stocks back in my younger days. Bought them from Reinhardt Fagen and Bishop, roughed out. They were only kiln dried, never stabilized in any other way. I have used either Boiled Linseed Oil or Tru Oil to finish with and never had a problem after years of use. I always used multiple coats of both and hand rubbed them in. You will get a deeper finish by rubbing it in with your fingers than spraying it on.

Posted by: Rich Gassman (71.237.10.---)
Date: December 29, 2007 10:41PM

I have been playing around with wood stabilization. (Of a sort) I dissolved a couple different kinds of plastics in acetone until the acetone would no longer dissolve anymore plastic. I found that extruded acrylic rod dissolved the fastest. Since my handles are pretty far bored out wise (hollow). When soaking in the acetone/Plexiglas mixer under vacuum then put under pressure they do impregnate with plastic, there is about a 35% weight gain after they are dry. I did not like my first try because the wood had like Bill mentioned a light natural color, buffed up great though. Then I decided to add broken up pieces of smoked Plexiglas glass to the mixture to give it a tint like Tru-Oil would. I thought I was in hog heaven, great color and very clear. It ended up not going completely through the core of the handle. I did not have the handle under vacuum or pressure very long. I think just treating the handles with a mixture like this for a short time will still have benefits. It does have great grain filling properties, lightly sanded and one coat of Tru-Oil over the wood looks like fifteen coats of Tru-Oil. I have put this stabilization stuff on hold again. Have been working on a carbon fiber Fuji IPS seat split grip handle that is much more fun to work on at the moment. Have a great day, Rich.

Posted by: Dave Orr (---.theedge.ca)
Date: December 29, 2007 11:44PM

Jay Hunt Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Used to inlet , fit and finish quite a few gun
> stocks back in my younger days. Bought them from
> Reinhardt Fagen and Bishop, roughed out. They were
> only kiln dried, never stabilized in any other
> way. I have used either Boiled Linseed Oil or Tru
> Oil to finish with and never had a problem after
> years of use. I always used multiple coats of
> both and hand rubbed them in. You will get a
> deeper finish by rubbing it in with your fingers
> than spraying it on.

I put Tru Oil on a lint free rag and apply by hand while the grip/seat turns on the lathe, just as you would with CA/BLO finish.
My Tru Oil came in a bottle not a spray can, but I would just spray a bit onto a rag and have at 'er.

Regards
Dave

Fishing is Life the rest is just Details

Posted by: J.B. Hunt (---.dsl.logantele.com)
Date: December 29, 2007 11:57PM

Dave , that's a good idea. The warmth created by the friction during rotation , along with the pressure from the fingers , should do a better job of sealing than just rubbing it on.

Date: December 30, 2007 02:57AM

Thanks guys.............I feel a lot better now knowing I am the not the only guy around trying to use un-stabalized wood.

Thanks for everyone's comments and now I know I cna use woods and using techniques you have listed here, make a long lasting handle.

Thanks again

Terry

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster