I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Stripper guide over butt wrap ?
Posted by: John Trella (---.hsd1.fl.comcast.net)
Date: December 29, 2007 11:28AM

This is my first time wrapping the Stripper guide ( Roller) over a Butt Wrap( Basic 2-axis chevy). How do you tie off the butt wrap while keeping the guide wraps consistent?

TIA! -JOHN

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Stripper guide over butt wrap ?
Posted by: Anonymous User (Moderator)
Date: December 29, 2007 04:11PM

Not sure I understand the question. Are you trying to make one wrap that ties off the butt wrap and holds one of the guide feet? Or are you just wrapping the guide right on top of a finished butt wrap?

Date: December 29, 2007 06:17PM

Tom,
Thanks for the response.

I have not tied off the butt wrap yet and have to work the guide in where the foward foot will be loacted on the end of the butt wrap (over the tie off0. I guess I could use the same thread as the butt wrap underwrap, followed by the same guide wrap as the other guides for a somewhat bulky, but similar look.

Option B, Tie off the wrap with the first guide wrap thread (guides are double wrapped) put the guide on top and wrap over the foot with the second thread only (or double with the same color).

Question should have been " How would ( or do) u (Talented Forum Members) do this?"

Thanks, -JOHN

Date: December 29, 2007 06:27PM

In all the rods I've built I've never incorporated both in the same wrap, so this is just an idea of what I think I might do. I think, I would perform the tie off and try to do it in a very short span, at least as short as possible. Then I'd have the foot of the guide very close to the tipward end of the tie off and and start a new wrap right there, and do the guide foot. In effect, you'd only see one continuous wrap (same thread size and color). Of course, you'd have to preplan this so that the location of the tie off would coincide with the location where you want the butt guide to be.

Date: December 29, 2007 07:35PM

Tom,

That would probably work on this rod. I think that's a much better way.

("In all the rods I've built I've never incorporated both in the same wrap")
Are you saying that normally you would complete the butt wrap (epoxy as well) And then wrap the guide as normal over the top?

Thank you, -JOHN

Date: December 29, 2007 09:10PM

I've never ended up nor planned to have the butt guide wrap and butt wrap tie-off incorporated into the same area.

Posted by: kevin knox (---.direcpc.com)
Date: December 30, 2007 09:55AM

What I do in this situation is place the stripper guide on the spot where you need it to be. Mark with a wax pencil the spot where the wrap needs to begin for the guidefoot that is closest to the grip. Start that guidefoot wrap and wrap that guidefoot. Next start the wrap for the upper guidefoot at the sopt closest to the "inner" spot where the guidefoot ends. Im grasping for words here, basically do the wrap on the upper foot backwards and wrap UP the blank. Once you wrap off the guidefoot and gat back onto the blank, cut your excess threads and finish off.

If you are double wrapping the guides for offshore rods or trolling rods, you would tie off the butt wrap with a 1/2" to 1" band, THEN wrap the guidefoot. Or, you would do as described above by wrapping up the blank, then cutt off excess and then wrap back down the blank, starting and stopping at the inner portion of the guidefoot.

Hope this is clear and that it helps.

Good luck.

Kevin

Posted by: Simon Oakley (---.sydney.spin.net.au)
Date: December 30, 2007 10:01AM

Hi John
Check out Italo Busi's gallery [www.rodbuilding.org] or his website [www.pescaltura.it] he has lots of butt guides over butt wraps. I think this is what you are looking for. I dont know about you I think they look pretty good

Posted by: Bruce Wetzel (---.norf.east.verizon.net)
Date: December 30, 2007 03:30PM

John, it may be too late to do this because if you're asking, you may not have calculated the butt wrap to end where the stripper guide starts. This is a pretty popular wrap around here on the short trolling rods where the stripper guide is close to the foregrip. You have to plan ahead of time to locate the forward tie-off of the butt wrap to end-up where the forward foot of the stripper guide goes. If it's really close to where the guide was going to end-up you're still o.k. if not, try and plan it this way next time (in my opinion this looks the best) when wrapping over a butt wrap.

Date: December 30, 2007 03:54PM

Kevin,

Thanks, I will try and wrap from the guide foot onto the blank for the tie off. That sounds perfect. I think Toms method will work also, if I have trouble getting the threads to lay right comming off the guide. Yes, it is an offshore trolling rod (60lb line).

Simon,

Thanks for the links. I have seen Mr. Busi's work and a few others that do the guide that way. I thought that was the "normal " way to do it. I was a little suprised at what Tom said. I wasn't expecting that at all. I guess this is more trick then the norm. Which is all good for me. I had no idea he had a web page ( Really cool stuff ).

Thanks everyone for the responses. This thread has been really helpful for this and future projects for sure.

-JOHN

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster