I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

wood lathe for handle making?
Posted by: Daniel Burney (---.231.91.75.ip.alltel.net)
Date: December 28, 2007 05:51PM

i want to get into making(among other things) rod handles and have never used a lathe before.
been doing lots of research on the different lathes and pretty much decided on a Jet JML-1014I: 10" x 14" Mini Lathe with Indexing Head. it comes with 6" tool rest, live center, 3" face plate, spur center, tooling knockout, and safety goggles.
question is: has someone here used this lathe to make rod handles? if so, how does it rate?
and, would the 3" face plate be all i need, or would i be better off getting like a 3 jaw chuck or something.

thanks fer yer support

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: wood lathe for handle making?
Posted by: stan lothamer (---.aubnin.dsl-w.verizon.net)
Date: December 28, 2007 06:26PM

i have a delta witch is about the same, and it works fine for making handles. the face plate is for making bowels ,you screw a block of wood to it. you would use the srur center and line center for turning handles. a four jaw chuck is better when working with wood, it will clamp on to a square block of wood better than a 3 jaw chuck.. i like mine just fine i alll so turn pens and pepper mills on mine. dont be cheep on lathe tools allso. stan

Posted by: Terry LaValle (---.ips.paulbunyan.net)
Date: December 28, 2007 07:59PM

Dan, I own the Jet and find it a easy to use piece of equipment. Look into the bed extension as well - things were quite cramped until I bought the extension. Of course, this can be another secondary purchase after the fact.

I have also added the Micro Lux 7 * 14 heavy duty lathe to my obsession. www.micromark.com This is the tool! Handles & reel seats of just about any composition can be made here. I like the variable speed and precision to the nano of measurements. Make sure you take alook at the 4 jaw chuck if you go this route.

Owning the 2 lathes now - I mainly use the Jet now for cork work only.

Posted by: Daniel Burney (---.231.91.75.ip.alltel.net)
Date: December 28, 2007 08:08PM

hey thanks fer yer responses. im barely gunna be able to afford the lathe for now. will the lathe work ok on table top? or is the lathe stand a must?
thanks again

Posted by: Anonymous User (---.ptld.qwest.net)
Date: December 28, 2007 08:34PM

You really should bolt it down other wise it will creep on you. The one thing not go cheap on is the turning tools. You can get away with the cheap'os from Harbor Freight, but as time and money permit, start buying better tools one at a time if you have to. another big investment will be a grinder and jigs to sharpen your tools.

The JET is a great choice, get the extension when you can.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/28/2007 08:36PM by Tim Hurst.

Posted by: Bill Moschler (---.hsd1.tn.comcast.net)
Date: December 28, 2007 10:05PM

I think you are gonna need a self centering chuck. Penn state Industries has some at pretty good prices. And a Jacobs chuck for the tailstock too.

Posted by: Mike Barkley (---.try.wideopenwest.com)
Date: December 29, 2007 01:18AM

I'm with Bill! You'll want a 4 jaw self centering chuck and a Jacob's chuck to bore your stock. I couldn't do without the extension bed on mine. Sharpening tools is a MUST.

Mike (Southgate, MI)
If I don't want to, I don't have to and nobody can make me (except my wife) cuz I'm RETIRED!!

Posted by: David Garland (---.superstl.com)
Date: December 29, 2007 08:10AM

When I bought mine I considered the Jet but decided on the Rikon instead. If you have a Woodcraft store in your area you can do a side by side comparison. Jet makes very good tools, I have several. But the Rikon has a longer bed and a larger swing. When I bought mine the Jet didn't have the indexing head, it does now. They are about the same price and you can't go wrong either way. I agree with others that you need quality tools. They feel better, work better and hold an edge longer. Thats why they're more expensive.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster