I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

rod building help
Posted by: john rociola (---.dsl.chcgil.sbcglobal.net)
Date: December 27, 2007 10:29PM

Hi my name is John Rociola ,
I live in a southwest suburb of Chicago, I would like some info if there is any classes or groups that I could talk with or possibly join. I recieved some rod building products for christmas from my wife. I have expressed an interest in rod building to her and she surprised me with this gift. Now I would like to use my new gifts. I have no experience only what I have seen on this site and from different catalogs I have ordered. I have not talked to anyone in the area that builds rods, I seen some info last year at the Tinley Park Outdoor Show, but I lost it. I also talked to a really nice guy at a major retail store in Indiana who directed me to this site. Well in short I was wondering if anyone had any info to help me with my dream of rod building. If anyone has any info you can reach me at johnroc719@sbcglobal.net

Thank You Again
John Rociola
johnroc719@sbcglobal.net

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: rod building help
Posted by: Terry Morrell (---.dsl.wchtks.sbcglobal.net)
Date: December 27, 2007 11:15PM

John, right off the bat I would buy a book titled Rod-Building Guide by Tom Kirkman. Some of the sponsors at the left carry the book. Read it several times that will get you off to a good start.

Posted by: Steve Gardner (---.nc.res.rr.com)
Date: December 27, 2007 11:32PM

John;
What kind of info are you requesting?

Posted by: Milton (Hank) Aldridge (---.maine.res.rr.com)
Date: December 27, 2007 11:39PM

Hi John,

Welcome to rod building. Check with your local bait & Tackle shops, Fly fishing shops to see if any of them are going to give any rod building classes. If you have a Cabela's or Bass Pro Shop near you check with them. As Terry stated Tom Kirkman's Rod building book is a book you should get. If you think tha you're going to stay with rodbuilding get a subscription to RodMaker Magazine (Listed to the leff).

Good luck and don't be afraid to ask questions. Rember the only stupid question is the one not asked.

Hank
On The Rocks Fishing
Wells, ME.

Posted by: Jim Rippe (---.chcgilgm.dynamic.covad.net)
Date: December 27, 2007 11:41PM

Hi John. There are many of us guys in the Chicago area that do build. Hopefully Al, Kevin, and some others will chime in. I will say that the "Rod Building Guide" by Tom Kirkman is a must.

By the way John, I assume that major retail store is Cabelas. Did I show you any photos?

Posted by: Wes Wyatt (---.238.121.6.Dial1.Providence1.Level3.net)
Date: December 28, 2007 06:48AM

Rod-Building Guide by Tom Kirkman, will walk you through the process, and give you a better understanding of the process.

Wes.

Posted by: Michael Sledden (---.fsepg.com)
Date: December 28, 2007 07:31AM

John,

I am in Aurora, if you want, you can contact me for any info or help. You should be able to get my e-mail clicking on my name.

Michael Sledden

Posted by: Mike Barkley (---.try.wideopenwest.com)
Date: December 28, 2007 07:46AM

John, What kind of rod are you building?? What stuff do you have so far. I also would strongly recommend that yo get Rodbuilding Guide by Tom Kirkman, Best $15 you will spend. Also, read through the Library, FAQ, Glossary, and Photo Pages at the top and don't hesitate to ask questions. There are a lot of good builders in your area that will help you out. Jim Rippe is an top notch builder and is talking about holding classes at the new Cabela's in Ind (He works in the reel dep't there).

Mike (Southgate, MI)
If I don't want to, I don't have to and nobody can make me (except my wife) cuz I'm RETIRED!!

Posted by: Anonymous User (Moderator)
Date: December 28, 2007 10:07AM

If you'll check the tab above, that says "directory," you can find rod builders in your local area. Many if not most of them would be happy to help you get started. You may even find one that would be happy to get together with you and give you some one on one instruction.

Any other questions you can most likely find answers for right here.

Date: December 28, 2007 04:38PM

Hello Jim,
Yes you did show me your photos, I was the one you spent alot of time with talking about rod building , You also told me about rod building .org. After I talked to you I went online after I got home and looked it up. Thank you again for helping me.

Thanks, John

Date: December 28, 2007 04:58PM

Hey everyone, this is John I would like to thank everyone who has responded.

Posted by: Scott Sheets (---.org)
Date: December 28, 2007 10:25PM

John,
Not sure what suburb you are from. I am in Joliet. Let me know if you need some help.

Scott Sheets

Posted by: Mike Barkley (---.try.wideopenwest.com)
Date: December 29, 2007 01:22AM

Al Ciner is also in Joliet!

Mike (Southgate, MI)
If I don't want to, I don't have to and nobody can make me (except my wife) cuz I'm RETIRED!!

Date: December 29, 2007 01:25AM

Hey Scott, thanks for the offer. I live in Tinley Park so you are not to far away. Right now I am gathering tools to start building rods. I have a starter kit from Flex Coat, spine finder, cork clamp, and a few other misc. tools. I have not purchased any actual rod components. I hope this info helped you and anyone else that is willing to help, I am very thankfull for all the responses.

Thanks again Scott and everyone else who has responded.
John

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster