I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Guide placement
Posted by: ray sheker (---.44.119.70.cfl.res.rr.com)
Date: December 25, 2007 12:39PM

Base on the fuji "new concept guide spacing system" i can't find an intersect point between my rod and the spool shaft of my reel.
In other words, there's no intersect point to put my choke guide. The reel is a sHimano Spin Power PowerAero, I just also noticed that the reel spool isn't angled.

I am building an AFAW 13' Surf blank.

Any help is very very much appreciated.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Guide placement
Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---.ptld.qwest.net)
Date: December 25, 2007 02:18PM

The Fuji system isn't the best way to go. Take your spool diameter and multiply by 27. Use that measurement for your choke guide to your reel spool face. Than lay the rod on a straight, flat surface and install your guides as normal using the guide frame edges to get your straight line path. There is a library article that explains everything but the distance measurement above.

Posted by: Anonymous User (Moderator)
Date: December 25, 2007 03:12PM

That information would be in the volume 10 #4 issue of RodMaker.

If you still can't get your choker guide on a short rod blank, then the choker guide goes at the tiptop position.

Posted by: Terry Morrell (---.dsl.wchtks.sbcglobal.net)
Date: December 25, 2007 04:01PM

Ray
When you measure your spool diameter measure it in millimeters multiply by 27 then convert it back to inches or stay in millimeters. That will get you to where your choker guide should be.

Posted by: Mike Barkley (---.try.wideopenwest.com)
Date: December 25, 2007 06:07PM

There is a BIG difference in the Fuji Concept system and the New Guide Concept System. Take Spencers advice!

Mike (Southgate, MI)
If I don't want to, I don't have to and nobody can make me (except my wife) cuz I'm RETIRED!!

Date: December 25, 2007 06:35PM

Tom,
I just submitted an order for volume 10#4.
thanks everyone.

Date: December 25, 2007 06:52PM

i did per your instructions, the problem is my first guide would be located nearer than 47.2inches.

if the type of guides would make a difference, i'm using lowriders.

with the formula, diameter of the spool x (multiplied by) 27 it would give me 59inches. my first guide would be way nearer than the fuji recommended placement of 47.2''.

i don't know what to do.

Date: December 25, 2007 08:11PM

Don't worry about the Fuji numbers, they DON'T take the reel size into consideration and won't give you the best configuration for YOUR rod/reel. Like any published chart, it is very generic and should only be used as a general starting point. Their set up also uses more sizes of guides than are optimal. The key is to get down to runninning size quickly usually with no mor than 3 different size on the guide total

Mike (Southgate, MI)
If I don't want to, I don't have to and nobody can make me (except my wife) cuz I'm RETIRED!!

Date: December 25, 2007 08:51PM

Ray
Go up to the top of this page and click on the LIBRARY then go to the THE NEW GUIDE CONCEPT PRIMER and read that article. That should give you a guide on what to do.

Date: December 25, 2007 09:03PM

Terry Morrell Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Ray
> Go up to the top of this page and click on the
> LIBRARY then go to the THE NEW GUIDE CONCEPT
> PRIMER and read that article. That should give you
> a guide on what to do.

already did. problem is, MY REEL doesn't have too much of an angle on the spool shaft so that it would be able to intersect with the rod. if i have to extend the spool shaft the intersect point with the rod is way more than 13 feet. And the rod i am building is a 13ft'er. The reel is a JDM Spinpower Power Aero Surf reel.

Date: December 25, 2007 09:57PM

BTW,
if you have a tapered spool i.e. daiwa basia, daiwa powersurf qd.
which diameter will you use? the smaller or the bigger diameter?

Posted by: Tom Juster (---.dsl.sfldmi.sbcglobal.net)
Date: December 25, 2007 10:00PM

First, merry Christmas!

Second, I don't think the ANGLE of the reel has anything to do with it. The logic is that the line quickly falls because of gravity anyway, and the reel angle doesn't do much to force the line in any particular direction. You just measure the DIAMETER of the spool, multiply by 27, and locate the choke guide that distance from the reel. If the spool is tapered I'd use the smaller diameter (the one closest to the tip of the rod), but others might want to chime in here.

Date: December 25, 2007 10:01PM

Ray, Click on my name and get my Email. Maybe we can work this out.

Posted by: Chris Garrity (---.phlapafg.covad.net)
Date: December 26, 2007 09:23AM

Ray, I struggled with this method the first time I tried it, too. The best thing I can suggest is to get Rodmaker Volume 10 #4 (if you don't already have it), and to read the article very carefully, like you're studying the bible or the Talmud. I realized, after buggying the fine folks here a couple of times, that all the information was in the article -- I just missed it the first two or three times I read it. Read the article until you have a basic understanding of what it says, and follow the guidelines. If you do, you almost can't go wrong.

Date: December 26, 2007 09:26AM

Don't confuse the butt guide with the choker guide. They're not the same thing.

Date: December 26, 2007 12:24PM

I believe the measurement that you are taking should be the diameter of the LIP of the spool that the line has to go over as it comes off of the spool

Mike (Southgate, MI)

Posted by: Charlie Smoote (---.173.202.68.cfl.res.rr.com)
Date: December 29, 2007 04:36PM

First; a little background. Shimano and Daiwa made their reels with a 4 degree upsweep to make the intersect point of the first or only guide for their Innerline rods.

Fuji, who BTW, makes guides saw this and the fact that the Innerline rods worked more better than conventional guided rods. They went to the drawing board and developed the Lowrider system to compete with these rods.You have to remember that the Lowrider System was originally developed for distance casting using a fixed spool reel with braid. They developed the Lowrider guide. to tame the gyrations of the braid line during casting.which produces 'wind' knots. I call them shockleader knots because I'm primarily a surf fisherman and rod builder,.

They developed a new guide system They located the intersect point (butt) guide at 120 mm. and turned it around.This convertes gives too about 47 something inches. The cotamgent of 4 degerees times spool spindle height , Tom Kirkman's 27 X Spooi dianeter and the tabletop method with a 4 degree reel, all come out to abou the same. This butt guide also carrelates to the third guide on the NGS System. Both NG and LR system taper the guide progression to provide the'funnel' to the running guides.

You guys and gals have a Happy and Prosperous New Year. I hope tha Santa brought all of you some new rodbuilding aids(like a lathe or something).

Charlie

Date: December 29, 2007 06:31PM

Charlie has been doing a lot of work over the years with the NGC and spiral wraps as they apply to surf rods. His expertise in this area is certainly welcome.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster