I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Two part expanding foam
Posted by: Curtis Beers (---.254.118.70.cfl.res.rr.com)
Date: December 24, 2007 05:52PM

I thought I might try expanded foam grips. RM 10-6 was a great read!
I placed an order with U.S. Composites and happily went back to sleep.
I got my order today and apparently what I ordered was a 16 lb kit which equates to two full gallons of expandable foam!.
Holy cow!!!
And this stuff expands 40 x's?
I think I now have a lifetime supply.
The moral of the story: double check orders placed with a phone call or an email.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Two part expanding foam
Posted by: Milton (Hank) Aldridge (---.maine.res.rr.com)
Date: December 24, 2007 06:07PM

Hi Curtis,

The good news is you got your material. The bad news is it has a short shelf life once it's opened ( [www.rodbuilding.org] ). SO I guess you should plan ahead and plan to do alot of pouring before the stuff goes south on you. I'm glad I waited before placing my order. I think Quarts are the way to go unless someone wants to go crazy with that stuff.

Hank
On The Rocks Fishing
Wells, ME.

Posted by: Bill Stevens (---.br.br.cox.net)
Date: December 24, 2007 09:08PM

Maybe there is another use for the Perma Gloss trick of a screw in the bottom of the can to keep from removing the lid -

Posted by: Anonymous User (Moderator)
Date: December 25, 2007 08:51AM

The problem is that because this a 2-part material, when you stick the screws back in the cans they aren't going to form a seal - they'll continue to leak until empty. The PermaGloss seals around the screw as it cures upon exposure to the air.

Posted by: Curtis Beers (---.254.118.70.cfl.res.rr.com)
Date: December 25, 2007 10:22AM

What had happened is: I had priced two part expanding foam locally and they wanted close to $100.00 for a small quantity.
When I got the price from U.S. composites I didn't think much about it because it was so much less than the local boat shop. I was probably dyslexic at the time and got the values sideways in my brain.
If anyone lives near Daytona I'll give them some of the stuff!!!
Or, I could start building my own boat.
Or, I could pour a few thousand of these things and have enough for whoevers gets my stuff when I die.
I think I'll at least break it down into smaller containers to make it easier to pour.

Posted by: Duane Richards (---.rn.hr.cox.net)
Date: December 25, 2007 11:41AM

Will freezing the stuff help any with it's shelf life?

DR

Posted by: Anonymous User (Moderator)
Date: December 25, 2007 12:36PM

That would be a question for the manufacturer of the foam.

Posted by: Mike Barkley (---.try.wideopenwest.com)
Date: December 25, 2007 06:13PM

Curtis,

Just pour a ton of cylinders and stick them on a shelf for future use, send them to me, or post on Swap/Sell page above.

Mike (Southgate, MI)
If I don't want to, I don't have to and nobody can make me (except my wife) cuz I'm RETIRED!!

Posted by: Derek McMaster (---.dsl.pltn13.pacbell.net)
Date: December 26, 2007 12:37AM

like Mike says.

With as cheaply as the molds can be made...just make up a bunch.....mix up a batch and start pouring.....If you have kids...get them to help and treat it like a home science project. Once the foam is cured it is pretty much lasts forever.

I am thinking about pouring 24" cores myself with ID's of 1/4" and 1/2".

Derek L. McMaster
Rohnert Park, CA

Born to Fish, FORCED to Work

Posted by: Mo Yang (---.lsanca.dsl-w.verizon.net)
Date: December 28, 2007 03:44PM

Hmm.....my issue of Rodmaker is not here yet. Given how much stuff you guys are getting and limited shelf life, anyone thought of just selling a bunch of the completed cylinders for grips?

Mo

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster