I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Rose Wrap Help
Posted by: Scott Youschak (72.242.111.---)
Date: December 22, 2007 03:33PM

I don't have the Visual Wrap software, but it's on my Christma List. I'm building my girlfriend a flats rod and wanted to do a 4-axis rose wrap and I was hoping someone could help me with spacing. The diameter of the blank at the grip is 12.75mm and I'm guessing it will end around 11mm. I'd like the roses to be fairly large. I have Vivona;'s book but I want to make sure the design is not going to close in on itself too soon. Can anyone help??

Thanks

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Rose Wrap Help
Posted by: Anthony Lee (---.cache.maxonline.com.sg)
Date: December 22, 2007 05:22PM

Hi Scott,

My most recent rose wrap was actually the rose bouquet on a single wrap. I did it on an 11mm diameter rod. For yours you should estimate about 12mm and your circumference will be about 38mm. Based on BV's book, use the L spacing on page 81. I did 6 passes. Hope this helps.

Posted by: Scott Youschak (72.242.111.---)
Date: December 22, 2007 05:34PM

Anthony, thanks for the response, the one you posted is actually what made me want to do this, that is the nicest rose wrap I have seen, and the my girl will love it. Would the spacing and 6 passes for the bouquet you used also work for the single rose design or should I make more passes?

Posted by: Mark Fisher (---.sa.bigpond.net.au)
Date: December 22, 2007 06:16PM

Scott, If you do the single rose I would add another pass but it also depends on how much background you want. You will be able to see the shape of the rose and be able to adjust from there. It is a really nice pattern and goes together without too many difficulties. I did my "Desert Rose" on a GUSA 604 which had a diameter of 10mm at the midpoint of the wrap. I elongated my wrap by 20% and did 6 passes. I probably could have gone 7 passes but I wanted more room for the split faded background. Mine was my first rose so it was a little experimental. Hope this helps.

Posted by: Billy Vivona (---.nycmny.east.verizon.net)
Date: December 22, 2007 06:37PM

Scott Youschak Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Would the spacing and 6 passes for the bouquet you used also work for the single rose design or should I make more passes?

My 2 cents on this, but I hope Anthony keeps answerring since he did such a great job on teh wrap on a blank close to teh size you are working on - TEh 4 axis single rose is going to look the same as the Rose Bouquet (War of the Roses style) , but the Roses will all face teh same direction. So the answer to your question, imo would be - 6 passes will yield Roses the same exact size on your blank, with more threads to add in teh bacground between patterns.

An answer for those using VW for double patterns (Scott, this will make more sense after Xmas) - get teh spacing for your wrap based on teh blank specs & # of repeats. VW will give you spacign for the 0 AND 180 axis for a SINGLE pattern. For a DOUBLE, simply combine the 0 & 180 spacing numbers, and use them for both teh 0 & 180 axis. Do not mark teh 90 & 270, just pack them into a straight line after a coupel of passes.

I hope some of this make sense and helps someone out, instead of confusing them (aside from spellign errors). Anthony & Mark, it's a nice feeling to hear you guys like that wrap and wrapped them in your own style. TO see the spacing charts helping feels good, I really put a lot of thought into that and hoped it was useful as opposed to confusing. OBviously I'm not a wordsmith, so I was a little nervous people would be confused, but I'm glad to see you guys find tha info beneficial.

Date: December 22, 2007 08:34PM

Billy,

The rose and the rose bouquet are two most captivating patterns to wrap. Your L spacing on page 81 is very clear and concise. Since I have done both on about the same size blanks, I still feel that the single rose pattern is more difficult than the rose bouquet. So, if Scott chooses the single rose, wrap single and I suggest 7 passes since his blank is about 12mm. The bouquet is actually easier as it has only 3 steps as compared to the single rose that has 4. For both, your measurement and spacing must be exact. 6 or 7 passes should be alright. I did 6 and had to do minor adjustment to close the bouquet pattern. Splitting the 4 roses in the bouquet pattern was actually accidental. My wife suggested that I should border the pattern with gold but I thought gold against the white background was not contrasting enough. This prompted me to do a single black around the border. Then I accidentally wrap this single black to split the 4 roses. When my wife looked at it again, she exclaimed that that was it. "Close the wrap with gold" she shouted. Since I needed at least 6 more threads to close the wrap, I decided to add 2 more black and then 3 gold.

My next one with be pink roses.

Anthony Lee

Posted by: Mark Fisher (---.sa.bigpond.net.au)
Date: December 22, 2007 09:19PM

Billy, you may not be a wordsmith but you are a teacher and artist. That book of yours is particularly good and, in my humble belief, now the new "bible" of rod thread art. Your spacing charts are worth their weight in gold as a ready reckoner.Your book has taken over where CRTA finished and helped take the quesswork out of many designs

Have a Happy and safe Christmas everyone..

Best Regards
The Aussie Apprentice to teh Lord of the Strings.
Outback

Date: December 22, 2007 09:47PM

Mark, I totally agree with you on Billy's book. With it, I can now be right the first time. This help me saves tremendous amount of time which is critical to my well being as a full time builder. The insight of how each pattern is laid down with accurate spacing also help me to see things I could not see before. Yes, you are dead on when you said, " Your book has taken over where CRTA finished and helped take the quesswork out of many designs".

Merry Christmas.

Anthony Lee

Posted by: Scott Youschak (---.96-97.tampabay.res.rr.com)
Date: December 23, 2007 09:55AM

Thanks for everyone's help on thos one, hopefully I'll be posting some pics soon.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster