I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Question regarding blanks
Posted by: tolan furusho (---.dsl-sea.seanet.com)
Date: December 21, 2007 01:07PM

Very new to the world of Rod building. I was wondering if blanks for casting rods are different than blanks for spinning rods. And, if so, how do they differ.

Thanks guys.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Question regarding blanks
Posted by: Jim Gamble (---.126-70.tampabay.res.rr.com)
Date: December 21, 2007 01:26PM

No difference, to a degree. Many blanks ARE specified casting or spinning, but you will find a great many more that are either NOT classified OR classified as being for both.

The real issue is taper, length, etc. and whether it will meet your needs. There are quite a few "casting" blanks that I make spinning rods from AND a few "spinning" blanks that I make into casting rods.

This is one of those ... "If it feels good, do it" type of things.

Posted by: Ken Preston (---.hsd1.md.comcast.net)
Date: December 21, 2007 01:29PM

Personally I don't pay much attention to what a manufacturer calls his line-up of rods. I look for information about the blank = butt / tip diameter; length; line rating; lure rating; material used for the blank (fiberglass - E / S-glas; "composite"; graphite IM number ); and aesthetically only the color of the blank and it's finish (matte, transluscent, gloss). I know that the manufacturers put a lot of time / thought into "what would make a good rod taper" and I applaud them for the wide range that each provides and giving us a starting point by classifying them as to potential use - but in reality I doubt that piece of woven roving cares what name it's called.

Posted by: tolan furusho (---.dsl-sea.seanet.com)
Date: December 21, 2007 01:29PM

Thank you for answering my question. Greatly appreciate it.

Date: December 21, 2007 01:35PM

Ohhh - forgot! Another think that I've learned to use as "leverage" is the NUMBER assigned to the blank = such as, say SP845 or CS845 - seems the 845 number normally equates to the mandrel that the blank was rolled on..... If I'm wrong about this I am happy to be corrected - might actually make for a whole new "string" for discussion.

Posted by: Jim Gamble (---.126-70.tampabay.res.rr.com)
Date: December 21, 2007 02:01PM

Sorry Ken ... it doesn't work that way. For example, a P844-GL2 is NOT the same as a MB844-GLX or a MU844. The ONLY thing those numbers represent is length and power (as related to THAT category and THAT manufacturer's potentially liberal opinion).

Date: December 21, 2007 02:55PM

Thanks, Jim. Always happy to learn

Posted by: J.B. Hunt (---.dsl.logantele.com)
Date: December 21, 2007 05:32PM

Wait a minute Jim ! Don't leave yet. Now you have my curiosity aroused. Are these numbers like "845" universal in any way. What exactly does each digit stand for ? I can't see the length in there anywhere unless it would be 8' 4" and #5 power ????? elaborate some more. I'll bet I'm not the only one curious.

J.B.Hunt
Bowling Green, KY

Posted by: Lance Dupre (---.hsd1.la.comcast.net)
Date: December 21, 2007 05:42PM

844..........84" 4 Power

Posted by: Spencer Phipps (65.197.242.---)
Date: December 21, 2007 05:58PM

The number are not universal, a 4 power mag bass is no where near the same as a 4 power popping blank or a 4 power stelhead blank. They are only fairly relative within their own group. Comparing mag bass to mag bass or steelhead to steelhead blanks are closer in relationship to each other.

Posted by: Mike Barkley (---.try.wideopenwest.com)
Date: December 21, 2007 07:07PM

Most use the inches then power but St Croix use ft, in, power, action 3S66MLF SC III 6' 6" med/light-fast

Mike (Southgate, MI)
If I don't want to, I don't have to and nobody can make me (except my wife) cuz I'm RETIRED!!

Posted by: William Bartlett (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: December 21, 2007 07:21PM

I'll mirror Jim and Ken's response with saying that I've always read and been told that the blank doesn't know what it's going to be. Just choose the one that fits your need specifications, then build it.

Bill in WV

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/21/2007 07:23PM by William Bartlett.

Date: December 21, 2007 07:45PM

Interesting exercise: Considering all above (mag bass ->mag bass / trolling -> trolling etc) inches & power. Try going to MudHole & do a blank search typing in "845" in the first block. Check the line / lure ratings - probably what led me down my train of thought. Yes, you can repeat it with other numbers (keeping in mind "class of the rod". MudHole has done us all a great service with that Blank Search tool!

Posted by: J.B. Hunt (---.dsl.logantele.com)
Date: December 21, 2007 08:39PM

Thanks guys ,good info. I am familiar with the way St Croix label theirs. But the 3 digit # I wasn't sure.
Ken, I like Mudhole's Blank Search tool also. It is very handy.

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: December 22, 2007 11:14PM

Most manufacturers rate their casting and spinning rods a bit differently.

i.e. lets say that you have a certain manufacturers 6 foot medium action casting rod.
Then, you get the same manufacturers 6 foot medium action spinning rod.
Generally -- but only generally speaking - the casting rod will be a bit stiffer all the way through the blank, and generally have a bit more power than the same spinning rod.

For example, I have had lots of requests for drift, or lindy rigging rods with a bait casting reel seat. Most manufacturers don't make the right action with the length of interest in a bait casting rod.
However it is no problem getting a spinning blank in the right action, length and power.

So, you will find times that for specific purposes you will want to use a casting blank - for a spinning application.
There are other times where you might want to use a spinning blank for a casting application.

It is really up to you and your client on the choice of a blank - with the right length, action, and power - for the specific fishing need.

This is the beauty of custom rod building, you can make any blank, any way that you want it.

Take care
Roger

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster