I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Slipped threads in butt wrap question
Posted by: Phil Richmond (124.40.47.---)
Date: December 21, 2007 09:21AM

Now I'm back home, was trying to finish up a rod for my bro-in-law in CA. Everything was fine, wrapped the butt wrap with medium tension, simple chevron (gold Sulky, Purple gudebrode, green Madera). Everything was fine until I put Swifty CP on. The gold sulky instantly loosened up, leaving it loose in between every chevron. Attempts to pull the threads together were unsuccessful.

For the most part they are there in the same place, just a bit more loose than the other threads. Any ideas what would cause this? Not enough tension? Too much tension and you have a hard time packing the treads, correct?

Phil

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Slipped threads in butt wrap question
Posted by: Matt Wilson (---.hsd1.sc.comcast.net)
Date: December 21, 2007 12:19PM

I have had that same prob. when i take a few days to do a decorative wrap. Only way i have gotten it done right is find a day i can wrap and put finish on all in one sitting. I'm interested to hear the more experianced guys' feed back

I used to fish a little, but a little wouldn't do it, so a little got more and more.

Posted by: Mel Shimizu (---.lsanca.dsl-w.verizon.net)
Date: December 21, 2007 01:31PM

My butt wraps always takes me days to finish and I have not had this problem. Never used any other thread than Gudebrods so it may be the choice of thread brands used. I did have one problem with too much tension and the thread broke.

Posted by: Lou Wasmund (---.sd.sd.cox.net)
Date: December 21, 2007 04:20PM

Just a thought here.....I am re-reading the tutorial on tiger wraps and it makes mention of warming the outer wrap with a hair dryer prior to removing the spacer thread. The point here is that warming the thread helps it take a "set" and preserve the spacing when removing the spacer thread. Maybe, just maybe, this technique would help stabilize your wraps before CP.

Posted by: Doug Moore (---.dsl.hstntx.swbell.net)
Date: December 21, 2007 07:03PM

In Billy's book he uses a method involving wrapping the entire wrap with mono leaving enough space between the threads for the CP to soak the underlying threads. Just before the CP sets up, carefully remove the mono. I've used this method several times now with good results.

Thanks Billy!

Regards......Doug@
TCRds

Posted by: Phil Richmond (---.fe.navy.mil)
Date: December 21, 2007 07:25PM

Sounds like this is a common problem, not one I've seen before. I don't understand why only the metallic loosened up.

Is Sulky particularly prone to this or does it happen with all metallics?

Phil

Posted by: Randy Parpart (Putter) (---.dsl.dynamic.nccray.com)
Date: December 21, 2007 11:03PM

Phil, it can happen with any thread, really.

Putter
Williston, ND

Posted by: russell cook (---.austin.res.rr.com)
Date: December 22, 2007 12:28AM

Check to see if your sulky is rayon. I bought several spools and none of them are worth wrapping with. I had the same problem with mine. Loosens up every time also will bleed funny when you apply epoxy.

Good Wraps..
Russell C.
Bastrop,Tx.

Posted by: Anthony Lee (---.cache.maxonline.com.sg)
Date: December 22, 2007 06:24AM

Phil,

All my wraps are with Gudebrod, NCP or metalic A. The only time I use regular nylon is when I need to bleed as in a tartan wrap. I have yet to try any other threads, but I have never experienced what you described, at least for the last 5 years. When you use a mixture of different brand of threads, I believe you will get different thread elasticity and therefore, tensioning may become a critical problem. This is only my guess as I have not done what you did. In most of my wrap, like the recent one that I have just posted (Roses), I always make it a point to use a single thread, NCP or Nylon, to complete my wrap. This single thread wrap with sufficient tension, can hold the whole pattern together very neatly. If you were to examine very closely my rose wrap again, I use single black NCP A to border the whole rose pattern. Once this is done, I will do alot of burnishing, adjusting and repacking to close up any ugly gaps. More critical is the adjustment of space between patterns that has to be closed later. You will be surprised how this single thread wrap can hold the pattern together and still allow you to make adjustment.

Posted by: Phil Richmond (---.fe.navy.mil)
Date: December 22, 2007 11:06AM

So it may be because of the different types of threads? Makes sense thinking about it as the Sulky metallic was the thinnest thread compared to Gudebrod and Madeira. I'll have to see if I can prevent it from happening again.

I truly despise working with Gudebrod metallics after seeing how much easier it is to work with Sulky or some of the other metallics. I haven't done a lot of metallic buttwraps though so have to work at it some more. I think the wrap may be able to be saved, will see what happens.

Phil

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster