I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Long fiberglass blank
Posted by: Tony Childs (---.mi.dial.123.net)
Date: December 19, 2007 04:49PM

When it rains it pours. I got a request today to build a couple of 10' dipsy rods for a Ludington salmon charter captain. The catch is that he insists that the rods be fiberglass. Not e-glass, graphite/glass, etc... Can any one think of a maker of such a blank. I have found lots of close but no cookie blanks in my catalogues. This is the old school mind set of local charter captains. They feel adament that the new graphite or composite stuff won't weather well or survive the charter clients. Any thoughts or discussion on this? I would like to advise him otherwise, however I don't have any graphite or composite rods that length in service long enough to make a case that I am comfortable with.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Long fiberglass blank
Posted by: Joshua Turner (---.chvlva.adelphia.net)
Date: December 19, 2007 05:10PM

Someone may know better than I do, but I believe that e-glass, s-glass, etc are all fiberglass - just having a differnt properties

Posted by: Anonymous User (Moderator)
Date: December 19, 2007 05:25PM

E-glass is the time tested material for tough saltwater rods. It's tough, but somewhat heavy. S-glass is a higher modulus fiberglass and provides very good durability at a little less weight than the E-glass.

Posted by: Scott Youschak (72.242.111.---)
Date: December 19, 2007 06:00PM

I don't know anything about salmon fishing but I ran across these the other day on the Lamiglass site. You could extend the 9' an additional foot or trim the 10.5'

[www.lamiglas.com]

Posted by: William Zafirau (---.neo.res.rr.com)
Date: December 19, 2007 06:32PM

Posted by: fred schoenduby (---.dsl.chic01.pacbell.net)
Date: December 19, 2007 06:44PM

Tony....your email is hidden....You did not state if you were interested in one or two piece....I do have some 1 piece Lamiglas blanks
in fiberglass that I will part with but I understand the shipping costs are "DIE-NO-MITE" email me [not hidden]

Tight Lines
Tight Wraps
Fishin'Stix by Fred

Posted by: Tony Childs (---.mi.dial.123.net)
Date: December 19, 2007 07:34PM

I like two piece basically because of price, ease of handling, and shipping. Again, the charter guys want one piece because they percieve that the two piece is not as strong. I think I can win them over on that issue. Is there any merit to their perception that the graphite/composites don't weather as well? They will say that when out in the sunlight every day all summer, they break down?? I think that they are making these arguments based on early attempts by blank manufacturing companies years ago with E-glass. What have you got in 10' and how much including shipping? I think I have my email un-hidden now. I think I may ask him to meet me half way. I will build a fiberglass and a graphite both. I will offer to eat the graphite if it fails or breaks down before the fiberglass. Anyone think I will get burned by this? The Charter captain is not the type to falsely accuse the rod of failure, in fact he allows me to ride along on charters to trial new stuff in my rods.

Tony

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster