I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

epoxy coated EVA
Posted by: Lance Lapeyrouse (70.151.77.---)
Date: December 19, 2007 01:21PM

has anyone attempted coating standard black EVA with epoxy? what where the results? are there any pictures? would the feel of this grip be similar to a finished CF grip?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: epoxy coated EVA
Posted by: Tom Juster (---.tampabay.res.rr.com)
Date: December 19, 2007 02:08PM

I would think it wouldn't work--the EVA compresses, and the epoxy isn't designed to bend that much without cracking. Might be able to wrap the EVA with the thinnest of textiles (maybe this: [www.defender.com]), then saturate and coat with epoxy.

Remember, most epoxies have no UV resistance and need to be topcoated if they're going to see sun.

Date: December 19, 2007 02:20PM

hmm, interesting. thanks for the input. i wonder if there's some other clear epoxy-type material that would harden like rock over EVA?

Posted by: Anonymous User (Moderator)
Date: December 19, 2007 02:28PM

Polyester would, but you'd still wind up with a heavy, crack prone grip.

Posted by: John Britt (---.96-97.tampabay.res.rr.com)
Date: December 19, 2007 02:31PM

Lance doing repairs I have seen enough sloppy epoxy jobs then I want to remember when it gets on the foregrip it becomes hard brittle and cracks not very desirable at all
John

Date: December 19, 2007 02:34PM

well, that's that! thanks for the help. it was just a brainstorm idea...

Posted by: Billy Vivona (---.nycmny.east.verizon.net)
Date: December 19, 2007 05:49PM

Curious what you were looking to attempt? John beat me to teh punch, I have seen (and have) several sloppy epoxy on buttwrap rods which teh finish climbed up onto the face of teh foregrip. Not attractive at all, especially after some use when the epoxy cracks and flakes off.

Posted by: Ken Preston (---.hsd1.md.comcast.net)
Date: December 19, 2007 08:25PM

Lance --- see the latest issue of RodMaker. The handles / handle assemblies are probably what you are trying to accomplish(?) - or use a nylon Slick Butt sleeve. I can't think of why you would want to take a soft material (EVAHypalon) and put a hard surface on it. Hard on soft = bad. Soft (flock) on hard = good.

Posted by: Lance Lapeyrouse (---.hsd1.la.comcast.net)
Date: December 20, 2007 12:40AM

well, i'm not sure what i planned on accomplished...because i planned on nothing. it was just a brainstorm idea that i had this afternoon. my first thought was that it might look cool. then the logistics set in, but i figured i would ask anyways. i have read previously on this board about rodbuilders putting epoxy coats on cork grips.....

Posted by: PAUL FANNON (---.hba.bmx.wholesalebroadband.com.au)
Date: December 20, 2007 12:48AM

Hi lance,
It is great to have creative ideas, thats how new things come into our every day lives.

On your question though, I would never put epoxy directly over any form of soft foam like a rod grip.

That's just my opinion.

As a boat builder, I can tell you it can be done. Using the correct weight of cloth and the right saturation of epoxy your idea is possible.

In truth i would not like to see the result, no matter how carefull you were in your aplication.

If you want a hard grip there are better ways of going about the job.

Sorry to sound negative and if you prove me wrong I apologise in advance.

Paul

I fish therefore I am.
www.hookeduprods.com

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster