I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

SKA King Mackerel Rod Recommendations
Posted by: Mark J. Mire (---.carolina.res.rr.com)
Date: December 17, 2007 09:15PM

I'm looking for suggestions on building a King Mackerel rod and would like some recommendations from experienced builders and SKA Fisherman. I'm inclined to use the Fuji soft-touch reel seat and sic titanium guides, a 7ft or 7 1/2ft CTS blank using 17lb - 20lb test line. I'm considering the new graphite handle described in current issue of RM, (thanks Tom and others with input) as I assume cork would not be suitable.

The above are inclinations of ignorance, but 1. I enjoy working and owning quality... 2. I'm a novice and don't know better than to use brand name. I'm also learning that the Fuji titanium guides are experiencing some corrosion issues. I do care for my equipment but in the occasional times of neglect I don't want to worry about these details, especially considering the cost "for the extra protection"!

So if I'm incorrect in my choices please feel free to correct my assumptions. Your input and recommendations are greatly appreciated.

Thank you for your time,

~Mark J. Mire

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: SKA King Mackerel Rod Recommendations
Posted by: Scott Youschak (---.96-97.tampabay.res.rr.com)
Date: December 17, 2007 10:14PM

Not on the SKA but have built a few rods of this type. A fast action live bait rod with a soft tip for natural bait presentation is what you are looking for. If you do a search on this site you will se a lot of people recommending the Seeker CLB702, 704, 706 & 708. I've built a few of the CLB704's and they are perfect for this application. When Shakespeare was still building blanks the Ugly Stick's were popular also because of their soft tips, but hard to find now.

I like Fuji's and have not heard of corrosion problems with their titanium guides??? I have also built these with the Aftco lightweight roller guides, which are a bit heavy and require maintenance, but look good and perform well (despite their weight). Another option that I see on a lot of rods but do not have experience with are the Fuji guides with the oval shaped SIC inserts (don't know the #'s). These would get close to your titanium weights without breaking the bank.

Posted by: Anonymous User (Moderator)
Date: December 17, 2007 10:30PM

I would also lean toward the CLB704 blanks. I've used many of them for Kings and the customers always loved them. The guides you mention would be fine and they will not corrode. Any good graphite/nylon reel seat will be fine.

Cork is a great material but is not terribly durable around rod holders. Tuff butts, or the new composite skinned grips would be very good and would give you some opportunity to experiment with them. Their tough outer skin would work well in a rod holder and hold up nicely. In fact, I think this may turn out to be one of the more popular uses for them in the near future. Per the article, if you use them in a rod holder, stick with the 8lb foam.

Posted by: David Garland (---.superstl.com)
Date: December 18, 2007 07:39AM

A good compliment to the 704's is the 804 or 806 blanks. If you have the t-top holders on the side that many king fishermen are using as outriggers, the extra foot can help widen your spread.

Date: December 18, 2007 08:58AM

Thank you guys,

Would you consider the Super Seeker or stick with the E-glass?

~Mark

Posted by: Scott Youschak (72.242.111.---)
Date: December 18, 2007 09:46AM

The seeker live bait rods are actually a composite blank and I have yet to seen the new Super Seekers . I just looked it up and I didn't realize that they are making the same blanks in the Super Seekers. Based on what I've heard go with the Super Seeker, they are only $20 more, I think that is the next kingfish rod I'm going to build is going to be the Super Seeker after learning this.

David, thanks for pointing that out, I am about to add a couple kingfish riggers to my T-top and these longer blanks would be perfect for this.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/18/2007 12:06PM by Tom Kirkman.

Date: December 18, 2007 09:59AM

P.S. to Tom. On the new Carbon Fiber Grips, can I put a gimbal?

Posted by: Scott Youschak (72.242.111.---)
Date: December 18, 2007 10:16AM

I'm not Tom but I don't see a reason you couldn't. If you are concerned about the strength of the foam just shim the blank under the grip and mount the gimabal, they are two seperate pieces that do not rely on one another for strength.

Posted by: Anonymous User (Moderator)
Date: December 18, 2007 12:07PM

The foam would be strong enough for that. Just cut a shoulder into it to fit the gimball.

Posted by: Walter Schmidt (---.doh.state.fl.us)
Date: December 19, 2007 09:23AM

I am building 4 rods for the SKA...mine. I am using the Rainshadow Live Bait rods RCLB70L. I've used this rod before and it is perfect for slow-trolling/drifting baits. Trolling hardware is another story altogether. I'm holding back as far as spiral wrapping or not. I have to recommend using slick butts, with all the flurry going on when a large king strikes, you want to get the rod out as fast as possible, also you need the toughest components you can build on. I use Forecast sattwater aluminum seats, maybe I'll build the next set with all alps components. i use the Forecast Turbo type guides, because I've NEVER had them fail, and I have 2 Fuji's that have the inserts popped out! The SKA is a highly competitive fishing trail, and you don't want anything to fail when there is a big money fish on. I have another whole set of composite trolling rods (Rainshadow blanks) that I use when trolling hardware, these are spiral wrapped.

Smitty

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster