I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Visual wrap and i mac
Posted by: Fred Yarmolowicz (---.hsd1.nj.comcast.net)
Date: December 16, 2007 11:14PM

Has anyone tried to run VW on a MAC? Th eCD cover says windows and couldn`t see anything on the site about it. From what I understand the i mac can run windows programs better than windows can.

Freddwhy (Rapt-Ryte)

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Visual wrap and i mac
Posted by: eric zamora (69.106.191.---)
Date: December 17, 2007 01:26AM

if it's a newer iMac with the intel chipset, it may be able to run it but i have no experience trying that or any windows program on mac OS X with intel chips. tom?

eric
fresno, ca.

Posted by: David Boyle (203.19.130.---)
Date: December 17, 2007 03:40AM

Hi Fred,
I have had feedback that if you run a Windows Emulator on the Mac then that will allow you to run Vizwrap. I haven't tested it myself.

Regards
Dave Boyle
www.visualwrap.com

Posted by: Anonymous User (---.hsd1.nj.comcast.net)
Date: December 17, 2007 08:43AM

Fred I think its Called Flip 4 Mac, I have it on my Imac allows you to yiew Windows video and images

Posted by: Anonymous User (Moderator)
Date: December 17, 2007 09:10AM

Any of the post G5 Macintoshes will run the Windows OS better than any Windows machine can, but remember that Windows is still defective in many ways. Always has been. So even on a trouble free Mac you may experience some problems with the Windows software. You won't need an emulator of any sort to do it but I don't know what verson of IMac you have. You would still need the latest Mac OS that will operate the "bootcamp" factory installed software. You could check the Apple website as it may be available for download there.

Posted by: eric zamora (69.106.191.---)
Date: December 17, 2007 01:16PM

flip4mac offers a free quicktime component to view windows video media and it works well, i'm on a mac using os X 10.4 but i do not know enough about visualwrap to tell you what it's based on. a video format? visualwrap offers its own message board and there's a recent query by the moderator to read reviews of running it on mac os but there's been no feedback as of yet from someone running a mac. stay tuned?

eric
fresno, ca

Posted by: David Boyle (---.dsl.nsw.optusnet.com.au)
Date: December 17, 2007 03:22PM

Hi,
Vizwrap installs from an msi file and runs as a Windows executable file. It also requires MS Internet Explorer installed so as to view 3D patterns. The Mac would need to support each of these if Vizwrap were to run successfully on it. A Windows Emulator would give you such an environment.

Regards
Dave Boyle
www.visualwrap.com

Date: December 17, 2007 03:50PM

The Mac will run both because it will run Windows (no emulator needed). You just have to remember that even though it's a Mac, when in the Windows OS you're no longer on the trouble free Mac OS, so you really are on Windows and Windows alone.

MS Internet Explorer has always been available for the Mac and in fact has been factory installed on every Mac going back to the mid 1990s. I assume it will render the same 3D patterns.

Posted by: David Gilberg (---.pghk.east.verizon.net)
Date: December 17, 2007 04:21PM

Can you tell me what I will need to get for my Mac G5 (which is running OS 10.4.11) to make it capable to run Visual Wrap?

Date: December 17, 2007 04:32PM

The new Leopard OS will have BootCamp installed so all you'd then need would be Windows. However I'm still not sure that the G5 will run that aspect of Leopard - it uses the IBM Power PC chip and may not be compatible. Check with Apple.

Posted by: Fred Yarmolowicz (---.hsd1.nj.comcast.net)
Date: December 17, 2007 06:54PM

Tom ,I`m running leopard.I will see what I need to do to get it to run.If I can keep IE off the system by not running the 3d view I wont loose any sleep.I still have the windows slug in the shop but the seat upstairs is more comfortable and its warmer!!

Freddwhy (Rapt-Ryte)

Date: December 17, 2007 07:24PM

I'm not a fan of IE either - too buggy. But if you want the 3D you'll have to go with it.

If you have the model with Intel chip and Leopard, you should be able to install and run Windows with no problems, other than the inherent Windows problems themselves. Let us know. Could be another market for the VisualWrap product if all goes well.

Posted by: Joe Vanfossen (---.neo.res.rr.com)
Date: December 18, 2007 01:16AM

On the rare occasions that I need to use Windows on my iMac, even with the Intel chipset, I prefer to use emulation software, such as Parallels. It sets up a virtual machine that I can isolate from the outside world. You do need a copy of Windows to install, and if you use Parallels, it doesn't matter which version of Windows you have (i think it needs to be XP or Vista, but which service pack you have won't make a difference).

Software, such as Virtual PC, is available for pre-Intel Macs, but I can't vouch for how speedy it is, as my old G4 867MHz Powerbook runs the virtual machine very slowly. I'm sure some of the later models run it significantly faster.

I, however, have not tried to run Visual Wrap on a Mac, so no guarantees that it will work.

Joe

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster