I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Waterslide Decals
Posted by: Russ Pollack (---.dhcp.embarqhsd.net)
Date: December 15, 2007 07:04PM

I know that Decal Connection has excellent information on their sponsor site (to the right) but I seem to remember an article or two in RM that specifically addressed the issues around applying these to rods. (if not step-by-step). I've done a search of the Library and every back issue of RM both on my shelf and on disc with no luck.

Does anyone remember where this might be?

thanks
Uncle Russ
Calico Creek Rods

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Waterslide Decals
Posted by: CHARLES CEPHAS (---.fuse.net)
Date: December 15, 2007 07:57PM

UNCLE RUSS THAT RM IS VOL. 9 #2 THE ART OF DECALING PG. 22

Posted by: William Bartlett (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: December 15, 2007 08:11PM

Uncle Russ,

Putter also has a DVD out on that very subject that helped me out a ton!!

Bill in WV

Posted by: Duane Richards (---.rn.hr.cox.net)
Date: December 15, 2007 09:36PM

Russ,

They are easy.

What I do is:

coat the area with a coat of finish, let cure overnight
trim the decal and round the edges of it
wet a paper towel with warm water with a little dish liquid mixed in the water-keep this ready
put the decal in a dish with a little warm water in it and check it every 10-15 seconds or so
wet the finish with the soapy paper towel
soon as the decal will move on its paper it's ready so slide it onto the soapy wet finish
move the decal around where you want it and wipe the rest of the finished area dry, leave the decal alone for 1/2 a day
apply new finish over it
done

This is what I do and it works for me. I jsut had a rod with 6 waterslides on one rod, every one of them turned out perfect.

DR

Posted by: Russ Pollack (---.dhcp.embarqhsd.net)
Date: December 15, 2007 10:27PM

Thanks guys, very much.

I had the one from Vol 9, and a couple others off the Decal Connection site. But the one I was actually looking for is called "Decal Making" and I had lost the link to it.

I found the link - it's Dave Rogers - at dave@cabochonrods.com, or www.cabochonrods.com. I hope it helps someone as much as it did me when I originally found it.

Duane, that's the most succinct set of instructions I've ever seen on this. Again, thanks much.

Uncle Russ
Calico Creek Rods

Posted by: David Rogers (---.pn.at.cox.net)
Date: December 16, 2007 02:00AM

Russ, the link you are probably looking for is; [www.cabochonrods.com]

I made that about a month ago or so. I hope it helps you out.

Dave
www.cabochonrods.com

Posted by: George Mock (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: December 16, 2007 08:03AM

I've been fooling around with waterslide decals for over a year now with only marginal success. I followed David's very detailed instructions and hit a home run on my first try! Thanks David for posting a VERY informative tutorial!

Posted by: J.B. Hunt (---.dsl.logantele.com)
Date: December 16, 2007 01:25PM

David this tutorial is fantastic ! I got the link ratholed ! Thanks for sharing it with us .

J.B.Hunt
Bowling Green, KY

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster