I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

spine on light rods
Posted by: Larry Pollock (---.sol.dsl.dynamic.acsalaska.net)
Date: December 15, 2007 02:14PM

I build light rods for trout and soft mouthed kokanee. I use a ball bearing type spine finder. My question is that on some light tips I find two distinct curves 180 degrees apart. The last blanks were St. Croix 3S80MLM2. Even trying rolling on the bench with the old method I can get two positions. Is this normal and what am I doing wrong? Any help is welcome.

Thanks, Larry

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: spine on light rods
Posted by: Brent Keever (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: December 15, 2007 02:32PM

I do check for the spine but I try and build on the straitest axis on the rod and most of the time that follows the spine of the rod not sure if this will help you but thats how I do it.

Brent Keever
Building friendships through custom rods

Posted by: Randy Parpart (Putter) (---.dsl.dynamic.nccray.com)
Date: December 15, 2007 02:58PM

Put a piece of masking tape around the blank. Mark the spines you've found A and on the other side, B. Set a marble on the floor. Push down on the tip. Push it down 10 times. Use the side that comes up most as your spine. One side will most likely be more prominent than the other; stiffer.

Putter
Williston, ND

Posted by: Anonymous User (Moderator)
Date: December 15, 2007 03:17PM

You're not doing anything wrong. Some blanks are like this. Some aren't.

The outside of the curve of the softer of the two axis is your effective spine. However, do keep in mind that using a spine finder or even the marble on the floor does not in any way approximate what happends when a fish loads the rod. What you do with rod spine is up to you, but it will little to no practical effect on the rod in an actual fishing situation.

Posted by: Larry Pollock (---.sol.dsl.dynamic.acsalaska.net)
Date: December 15, 2007 05:20PM

Thanks everyone. Dumb questions are easier to deal with than dumb mistakes.

Larry

Posted by: Fred Halfheimers (---.milwpc.com)
Date: December 16, 2007 03:20AM

Nothing dumb about your question.

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: December 19, 2007 02:55AM

Larry,
It is not unusual to find two spines that are 180 degrees apart.
After checking for a spine - make not if one spine is a bit stiffer than the other. If one is stiffer go with that spine.

However, as or more important is to check for any curves in the blank, that may or may not line up with the spine.

If you do have any type band in the blank - be sure to always place the bend so that it bends down at the tip. This - placement of any possible bend in the blank - should be done before making any changes due to the spine. However, if you do have a spine that is on line with any potential bends in the blank - use both the spine - in conjunction with any slight or major bend in the blank. Again - always align the guides - spine - so that any bend in the blank bends downward - when the rod is held in its normal position.

Roger

Posted by: Mike Barkley (---.try.wideopenwest.com)
Date: December 19, 2007 11:12AM

Roger,

When you say "bend" down, do you mean the "belly" should be down and the tip pointing up?? That is the way it should go as when you wrap the guides, ithe weight will tend to bring the tip down and help to straighten the blank

Mike (Southgate, MI)
If I don't want to, I don't have to and nobody can make me (except my wife) cuz I'm RETIRED!!

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster