I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Bill Dance Flunks Rod Power 101
Posted by: David Gilberg (---.pghk.east.verizon.net)
Date: December 15, 2007 09:29AM

On his show this morning Bill Dance was giving a tip on how to improve one's chances of feeling when a Bass hits the bait. He said to get a rod with a "lighter action". It is unclear if he meant a rod of lesser power or slower action. It's possible that either of those changes could increase one's awareness of a hit.. but I wonder what he was thinking. Mr. Dance is not the only famous fishing host to confuse the TV audience about fishing rods.. The lack of sound rod information on almost all the shows is all too apparent.
Dave Gilberg

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Bill Dance Flunks Rod Power 101
Posted by: Anonymous User (Moderator)
Date: December 15, 2007 09:50AM

Most likely he meant "lighter power." It's a terminology mistake that many fishermen, even very good ones, are guilty of. But a custom builder should be able to dechiper what the fisherman means. If it doubt, ask, so that you can be sure of being on the same page when working up an order for a rod.

I do know many bass fishermen that like the lighter power rods now so that they can "see" the strike by virtue of the tip movement when a fish hits or moves off with the lure.

Date: December 15, 2007 10:09AM

I agree that he was probably meant choosing a less powerful rod. It's just a shame that the few celebrity fishermen who reach the masses only perpetuate confusion about fishing rods. I think if they were enlightened to the facts they'd be happy to share them with their viewers. Is it unrealistic to expect at least one of them to pass Rod Basics 101?

Dave Gilberg

Date: December 15, 2007 10:14AM

No it's not and perhaps you should contact the show producers and enlighten them of Mr. Dance's errors. If you were diplomatic enough, you might even convince them to have Bill and you together on a segment where you could explain some of the finer points of rod terminology as well as why certain rod characteristics would be desireable in certain situations. I'm serious - this could be an opportunity to get some really nice exposure for custom rod building. Out of all the thousands of fishing shows over the past couple decades, has a custom rod builder ever been featured in any capacity on any of them? Maybe it's time that one of us took the intiative and tried to get one of them interested.

Date: December 15, 2007 10:23AM

OK, Tom; I'm game. I'll see what I can do in that regard. Thanks for the motivation. Looking forward to seeing you in High Point and lending a hand if it helps.

Dave

Posted by: PAUL FANNON (---.hba.bmx.wholesalebroadband.com.au)
Date: December 15, 2007 10:27AM

Thanks Tom. I am the only full time and registered rod builder in Tas.

I have never been contacted by any fishing show to give any opinion.

We are dominated by "STARS" who are fully funded by big companies.

I am not an expert by any means, as I am learning evey day.

I do think
however I have something to contribute, which is not built in CHINA

Paul

I fish therefore I am.
www.hookeduprods.com

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/15/2007 10:31AM by paul.fannon.

Date: December 15, 2007 11:04AM

Paul,

If they knew that you were available, as an expert on fishing rods, perhaps they might decide to employ on occasion when they wanted to delve into the technical side of the equipment used. If a custom builder were to approach them, not as someone who was just looking to gain exposure and sell rods, but rather as someone they could call on for explanations and advice on the equipment their "stars" were using, they might see an opportunity for a new aspect to their program/s.

Posted by: PAUL FANNON (---.hba.bmx.wholesalebroadband.com.au)
Date: December 15, 2007 11:24AM

Thanks Tom,
If it were not for the fact that most AUS fishing shows were paid for by the BIG COMPANIES , I would agree with you.

But in reality look at the full time builders in Aus, they rely on word of mouth advertising, in their local area or state. We have a very small population in AUS, so it is very hard to compete with the big companies in advertising.

As custom builders we must offer the best.

But the best does not compete with cheap off the shelf items, which have a very high advertising profile.

My own state has only 500.000 people. But it is very hard to get the word out there.

We can only try.
Paul

I fish therefore I am.
www.hookeduprods.com

Posted by: Hunter Armstrong (---.hsd1.va.comcast.net)
Date: December 15, 2007 12:08PM

While I think the idea has more than a little merit, I doubt very seriously if the sponsors of the various fishing shows would be inclined to expose their audience to the fact that there are custom rod builders in this world that routinely offer products far superior to their own. In reality, most of these "fishing shows" are little more than thinly disguised infomercials. I often wonder how segments that don't endorse a product ever make it to air.
Tight lines,
Hunter

From ghoulies and ghosties,
and long leggedy beasties,
and things that go bump in the night,
Good Lord deliver us!

Date: December 15, 2007 12:36PM

Paul and Hunter,

That's why you have to approach this from a different angle - not one where you want to market or advertise custom rods, but rather one where you serve as a equipment expert offering to help their viewers better understand the mechanics of a fishing rod.

The best response I ever got when making a presentation at any of the local fishing clubs was when I never mentioned that I would sell anybody a rod. I made one presentation to a fly fishing club entirely on the relationship between line weight and line length and the guys went on for nearly 2 hours with questions. Nobody left early and I was told afterwards that it was the best and most helpful presentation they'd had in several years. I never once talked to them about buying custom rods, but I ended up selling several.

Focus on informing the viewers of how to better understand and utilize their fishing rods, not on why they should buy a rod from you - that'll never wash. You will likely get trickle down sales, but that shouldn't be the point of any such presentation.

Date: December 15, 2007 01:03PM

There is plenty of basic rod information which the popular fishing shows could teach without costing any rod company a sale. It would even help the big rod companies for fishermen to understand the difference between power and action and other basic aspects of the rods they make. I think as more fishers learn the benefits of low weight on rod performance there will be more sales of higher end rods. Mr. Dance he was attempting to educate his audience but ended up using improper terminology. I think these shows are failing in their desired goal of providing accurate information to the public. I don't mind them pushing the products of their sponsors but I do feel slighted when the "education" they give is nothing but nonsense. I feel they are trying their best but it's time their "lingo" was replaced with accurate information.

Dave

Posted by: Hunter Armstrong (---.hsd1.va.comcast.net)
Date: December 15, 2007 01:49PM

Tom,
I am in complete agreement with you. Nonetheless, I just don't see any of those programs' sponsors allowing a rod builder, other than someone from their own factories, anywhere near the front end of a camera. I think this is true even if said person is not identified as a custom rod builder. To qualify as some sort of expert, his or her bona fides would have to be revealed, and that would be a deal killer, IMHO. (As an aside, I am hoping one of this site's sponsors, who shall remain unnamed for the moment, will do a presentation on rodbuilding at my local smallmouth fishing club. There is increasing interest in this past time from members after seeing some of the rods I have built. I should add that most of those rods would not exist were it not for the kind help I have received from posters on this board.}

I think it would be a great idea, but I won't be holding my breath while I wait to see if such information will appear on these shows.

Tight lines,
Hunter

From ghoulies and ghosties,
and long leggedy beasties,
and things that go bump in the night,
Good Lord deliver us!

Posted by: Steven Libby (---.hsd1.ma.comcast.net)
Date: December 15, 2007 02:44PM

I dont think I've ever seen a Bill Dance show where he's had guests. Roland Martin has guests on his shows sometimes - anyone here an equipment expert on the rocket fisherman?

Posted by: Joe Vanfossen (---.neo.res.rr.com)
Date: December 15, 2007 02:59PM

The problem is that most companies don't put the power and action on their blanks. If you go to Wal-Mart and look at the rods on the shelf, nearly all of them will give the length, action (which is actually the power), recommended line weight, and recommended lure weight. If all manufacturers would begin putting action and power on their rods, then the fishermen will be able to tell the difference, but until then, the terminology mistake will be made.

Joe

Posted by: Doug Blacklock (---.fpcusa.com)
Date: December 15, 2007 03:43PM

before i started building fishing rods i always thought mh, h ,ml, m, that was the action. since ive started building rods ive found out that, that actually is the power. my question is who is right and why, has the major rod builders been wrong all these years or has the custom rod builder changed the termanology. im just asking, because when someone asks me this question i dont really know what to tell them

BIC doug

Date: December 15, 2007 03:48PM

Going way, way back, almost 50 years and using the terminology from the earliest blank designers, Action refers to where the blank initially flexes. Power was used exactly as the term implies.

Speed is often confused with Action, but refers to the quickness (or lack thereof) at which the blank reacts and recovers.

Posted by: Doug Blacklock (---.fpcusa.com)
Date: December 15, 2007 03:55PM

i knew i spelt terminology wrong, just a ole high school graduate from the swamps, thanks Tom
BIC doug

Posted by: dave schaub (---.dsl.hstntx.swbell.net)
Date: December 15, 2007 04:44PM

A friend of mine has been on the Jimmy Houston show a couple of times and on the Roland Martin show once and he said that virtually everything is scripted. They were told what to "chat" about because it enhanced the lure sales once they revealed what lure it was they were talking about. Houston got paid EVERYTIME he mentioned a sponsors name so you can understand why they mention it so often. The scripts were also looked over and approved by the "main sponsor" who at that time was Strike King. Do they put on the show to show you how to fish and what equipment to use---well, no. What they do is showcase their gear to imply that it is what you need in every situation. It is, as someone said above, just a glorified info-commercial.
Dave

Posted by: Billy Vivona (---.nycmny.east.verizon.net)
Date: December 15, 2007 05:51PM

Tom Kirkman Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> so that they can "see" the strike by virtue of the tip movement when a fish hits or moves off with the lure.

I've been saying exactly that for a few years. Glad to see someone listened, lol.

Posted by: Bill Hanneman (---.240.120.2.Dial1.Phoenix1.Level3.net)
Date: December 16, 2007 05:37PM

Tom,
What happened to centsitivity?

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster