I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Ultralight guide setup
Posted by: Mike Canavan (---.nys.biz.rr.com)
Date: December 14, 2007 04:24PM

Setting up two 5'6 ultralight spinning blanks (spink and purple!) for my daughters, and wondered if Batson's BMLG ("M") guides would be advantageous, or just generally favored vs. alconites.
(Or, a mix of both?) I normally use alconites, but have never seen or used the BMLG's for comparison. I will be using the concept setup. Any suggestion for sizes or general setup are greatly appreciated! Many Thanks, Mike

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Ultralight guide setup
Posted by: Jim Reinhardt (204.73.103.---)
Date: December 14, 2007 05:17PM

Mike

I have mixed the M guides with Alconites and like the set up. I use a #16 M series then a #12 or a #10 Alconite spinning guide followed by 4 or 5 #6 alconite fly guides. I let the size and and angle the reel forms with the blank determine whether I use a #10 or a #12. I have also used a #20 BYAG in place of the #16 M and don't notice much difference. I use the M series on rods where I plan to use very light lines.

Jim

Posted by: J.B. Hunt (---.dsl.logantele.com)
Date: December 14, 2007 05:53PM

Mike; If color is an issue, Mudhole has some pretty red SF spinning guides with gold Ti Nitride rings that really look good on the Pink blank. I used them on a Pink rod. They also have Green ones that look good on the Purple blank.

If you go with Black or SS frames, I prefer the Alconites. I would use a 16 (depending on reel ) a 12 an 8 and the rest 6's with a # 6 fly tip.

Just a thought

J.B.Hunt
Bowling Green, KY

Posted by: Mike Canavan (---.stny.res.rr.com)
Date: December 14, 2007 07:14PM

Thanks Jim and Jay, I appreciate the help. I'm using small, lightweight reels for the kids so the first guide will probably be a 16 or 20byag. I wasn't sure if there would be a weight issue between the two mfgs, but guess it shouldn't be an issue d/t small size anyhow. I'll take a peek at the colored guides also, thanks for the tip Jay. Again - thank you both!

Posted by: Steve Gardner (---.nc.res.rr.com)
Date: December 14, 2007 08:00PM

If you use the Batson M guides and the matching tip you end up with a really neat looking set up that perfroms well. They are my favorities to use on an Ultra light

Posted by: Chuck Mills (---.mpls.qwest.net)
Date: December 14, 2007 08:14PM

Mike, I did a light SCIII with M guides (and tip) and NGC and it turned out sweet. I used four #4 M guides for the choke and running guides. I can't remember what I used for the butt and other guide and I'm not home right now.

Date: December 14, 2007 09:06PM

Thanks Steve and Chuck, I wondered how the M guides and alconites would look combined, I would like to keep everything uniform if possible.

Steve, sounds great, I appreciate your experience with these - I think I'll give the M's a go as suggested using the concept setup. Thanks again, Mike

Posted by: Tom Juster (---.tampabay.res.rr.com)
Date: December 14, 2007 09:13PM

When I built rods for my kids the main criteria in guide selection were (in order of importance): (1) looks cool; (2) durable; and (3) cheap. I wouldn't worry about any weight difference between the different guides you're considering. I personally would give the alconites a slight edge on any rod I'm building for myself, but for my kids criterion (1) would probably make them a second choice.

Have fun!

Posted by: Mike Barkley (---.try.wideopenwest.com)
Date: December 14, 2007 09:34PM

Getting ready to use the hol frame/ring guides on those blanks! The purple/pink highlights in them is awesome

Mike (Southgate, MI)
If I don't want to, I don't have to and nobody can make me (except my wife) cuz I'm RETIRED!!

Posted by: J.B. Hunt (---.dsl.logantele.com)
Date: December 14, 2007 11:26PM

Great idea Mike. I got to try those myself !

J.B.Hunt
Bowling Green, KY

Posted by: David Gilberg (---.pghk.east.verizon.net)
Date: December 14, 2007 11:42PM

Holographic guides look great. The Amtaks with gold rings are my favorite.
Dave

Posted by: Jean Scurtu (---.hsd1.tx.comcast.net)
Date: December 15, 2007 12:20PM

I have many rods build on fly blank(w4-w9) using model "M'guides and never have problems,super rods.

Jean

Date: December 16, 2007 07:49AM

Thanks everyone, a lot of great suggestions here. (The holo's really do look awesome on these pink and purple blanks!) I sincerely appreciate the help!

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster