I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

sensitivity of arbors
Posted by: jason henderson (---.dsl.wlfrct.sbcglobal.net)
Date: December 13, 2007 01:51PM

I am looking into a drop shot rod. I have the handle figured out and would like to know if there is any major difference in sensitivity with the graphite arbors as compared to the tape arbors I use for most fly seats? Is it any real noticable difference or is the tape with epoxy hardened to the point that the effects are the same?

jj

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: sensitivity of arbors
Posted by: Duane Richards (---.rn.hr.cox.net)
Date: December 13, 2007 02:00PM

Jason,

If you're talking masking tape arbors? I like the brick foam full length the very best and I'd take the graphite arbors next over the masking tape. I'd take anything over the masking tape actually. Sensitivity wise, I think the full length brick foam are the best of the three.

DR

Posted by: Emory Harry (---.hsd1.or.comcast.net)
Date: December 13, 2007 02:05PM

Jason,
The sensitivity of arbors, or how well they will transmit vibrations is determined mainly by the mass density and the elasticity of the material. The foam arbors are much better in terms of both mass density and elasticity than tape.

Posted by: Jim Gamble (---.126-70.tampabay.res.rr.com)
Date: December 13, 2007 02:06PM

I concur with Duane ... polyurethane arbors, followed by graphite foam arbors, then fiberglass drywall tape. I use masking tape for holding guides on while I start wraps and for taping bubble wrap around my rods for shipping - other than that, masking tape stays in the drawer.

Posted by: Mike Barkley (---.try.wideopenwest.com)
Date: December 13, 2007 02:14PM

I'm with Jim, I replace/fix a lot of reelseats that were put on over masking tape. Never have had a problem with one put on over foam arbors!!

Mike (Southgate, MI)
If I don't want to, I don't have to and nobody can make me (except my wife) cuz I'm RETIRED!!

Posted by: Anonymous User (Moderator)
Date: December 13, 2007 03:36PM

Just for reference, when many think of foam they think of something that's soft and/or spongy. There are various types of foam and they come in various densities. What is sold for arbors is generally either 6lb to 8lb urethane foam and is very light yet very rigid. It cures quite rigid so you're working with something that is quite firm, if not downright hard. The Flex Coat type (cream colored) urethane foam arbors are significantly more rigid for the same weight as are the more common Fuji or Pac Bay (black) brick foam arbors.

Posted by: Steve Gardner (---.nc.res.rr.com)
Date: December 13, 2007 04:07PM

Don't use tape if sensitivity is what you’re looking for.
Don’t use tape if longevity of the finished rod is what you’re looking for.
Don’t use tape if quality of construction what your looking for.
Don’t use tape if you take into account the unanimous response you’ve had so far

Posted by: J.B. Hunt (---.dsl.logantele.com)
Date: December 13, 2007 05:10PM

In other words,,,Don't use tape. I love the foam arbors. Only in an emergency would I use tape , then only fiberglass dry wall tape.

J.B.Hunt
Bowling Green, KY

Posted by: Mike Naylor (---.dnr.state.md.us)
Date: December 14, 2007 08:47AM

The question is "is there any MAJOR difference in sensitivity." The answer is no, there will be no major difference. Foam arbors are my choice, and will be stronger and last longer, but there will be no detectable difference.

Posted by: Chris Garrity (---.phlapafg.covad.net)
Date: December 14, 2007 09:11AM

I don't mean to throw a monkey wrench into this topic (well, maybe I do), but what about saltwater rods? I've tried foam arbors on a couple of saltwater boat rods, and when I tried to ream the arbors to fit the blank, I had to remove so much material to get the arbor to fit over the blank that I ended up with what was essentially a pile of unusable dust. I can understand the effectiveness of foam arbors when you're using a blank with a small OD, like a fly or freshwater blank, but what about a salty blank, where the OD is generally much larger (especially on surf rods), and the area you have to make up (the difference between the blank OD and the reel seat ID) is somewhat small? Do any of you still use foam arbors in those kinds of instances?

Posted by: Steve Rushing (---.north-highland.com)
Date: December 14, 2007 11:29AM

Chris - I recently had this "challenge" on a mag-bass blank I was building into a spinning rod using a 18 NPS seat. I bored the arbors hole bigger but not all the way to fit the blank's OD. I then glued the arbor into the seat to bond it to the seat's walls and then carefully did the final reaming.

Posted by: Mike Naylor (---.dnr.state.md.us)
Date: December 14, 2007 12:03PM

A compromise I use when the diameters are only barely different is to use fiberglass mesh tape. It's sold for use on drywall corners. Wrap it to get the fit right, then unwrap it most of the way and pack with Rod Bond as you re-wrap it. It will never degrade the way masking tape will.

I have personal experience with masking tape failing over time. The first rod I ever built, in fact. After about 15 years of extremely heavy use the reel seat twisted off the butt of the rod (it was a fly rod).

Posted by: Emory Harry (---.hsd1.or.comcast.net)
Date: December 14, 2007 12:23PM

Mike,
The key in using masking tape is to be sure that you use enough epoxy that the tape is completely sealed so that over time water is not able to soak into the tape. I have seen the same thing that you are talking about several times. The tape, over time, basically just turns to mush if water gets to it.
But you are right, there is no need to use masking tape as dry wall tape or foam arbors are better.

Posted by: Chris Garrity (---.phlapafg.covad.net)
Date: December 14, 2007 12:47PM

That's a great idea, Steve. I'll have to try it. It's so simple that (of course) I never thought of it.

And Mike, I'm with you. Mostly because I was advised against it when I started building rods, I've never used a masking tape bushing on a reel seat. But I have used fiberglass mesh tape quite a bit, and I apply it just the way you describe. It can be tough to prevent epoxy from getting all over the place -- especially since I'm kind of a klutz -- but so far I've not had any reel seat failures with the stuff.

Posted by: William Zafirau (---.neo.res.rr.com)
Date: December 14, 2007 03:42PM

I have found graphite and foam arbors impractical to use on most fly rod real seats because of the problem Steve and MIke describe and always use the mesh tape on fly rods. I usualy only need one or two wraps because its that close. Got sick of sanding and filing and boaring out arbors only to have them shatter when thin and close to being the right size.

Date: December 14, 2007 03:52PM

William,

Install/epoxy the arbor in the reel seat FIRST and then ream seat and al to match the blank as one piece.

DR

Posted by: William Zafirau (---.neo.res.rr.com)
Date: December 14, 2007 07:08PM

Oops. That was in a old Rodmaker, too, that I just read. Only tried it on two rods....

Any graphite arbors that come in a .375 in or .312 in diameter? That was my other problem with them, too. All of them are too big for "standard" seats by REC, Struble, Bellinger and several other manufacturers......either I could order a special bore or just use the drywall tape.

Date: December 14, 2007 07:17PM

William, I throw mine on a 1/4" mandrel on the lathe and sand/cut them down to what ever size diameter I need. I usually only keep 18 and 20mm in stock, I can cut them to any size on the lathe in a few seconds. In your case buy the smallest and do the same.

DR

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster