I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Bamboo Rod Repair
Posted by: Ray Zarychta (---.ri.ri.cox.net)
Date: December 10, 2007 08:11AM

Need some advice or confirmation on a process for repairing a bamboo rod.

The rod is a H.L. Leonard model as evidence by the butt cap engraving and the owner's awareness when he bought the rod many years ago. I doubt that it is an original from the 1800's or early 1900's as the metal parts are in good condition and there are no intermediate wrappings even though the hookkeeper is the hanging 'O" ring style. It has "891' scripted on each section and is a three piece rod with two tips. The butt section seems to be bamboo with a flattened area for the reel foot with a sliding band for the reel foot holder. In doing a little research it would indicate that this may be Pre 1965 factory fire rod as there is no serial # on the rod, just the "891" inscription. While my short research indicates that post fire rods had model #'s, I cannot find any on the rod.

The rod is in very good condition and the customer uses it on a regular basis. He had it repaired once, as the bamboo had separated near the tip on the section where he now needs a different repair. If I were to guess, I would say that this rod has been previously restored as evidence by the condition of the wraps and some imperfections in the butt section where the reel would be set. There are a couple of blemishes that have been coated with a rod finish which I don't think would have been there when it left the factory.

The issue: "clean" break right at the top of the ferrule, I cannot see any separation of the bamboo and the owner thought that perhaps some moisture had seeped into the ferrule and caused some rot. I don't see a lot of damage, but not being that familiar with what the cross section of a bamboo rod should look like, I can't be sure. The overwrap and epoxy coating only extended a few thread wraps past the top of the ferrule.

My plan was to clean out the ferrule of the remainder of the broken rod, measure the depth of the ferrule, square up the bottom of the section, then round off the same length of the rod as the depth of the ferrule to clean off all the finish to insure an even fit back into the ferrule. I measured the taper from the break (3.66mm) to about 2 inches from the break (3.64mm) so I think it should be a decent fit. The depth of the ferrule looks to be about 5/8" long and again appears to have splits in the top 3/16 of an inch so that it can be squeezed down on the rod. I would then finish it off with a matching thread wrap and epoxy coating.

As always, thanks for your comments and advice.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Bamboo Rod Repair
Posted by: Anonymous User (Moderator)
Date: December 10, 2007 09:45AM

What you propose is the easiest fix if what he wants is to continue fishing the rod without incurring the major expense of having a new section built. It will change the rod slightly, of course, as you'll be shortening it by an inch and a half or so. Enough to notice? Probably but it will be minor unless he's really been in tune with the rod for a long time.

Posted by: LARRY PIRRONE (---.socal.res.rr.com)
Date: December 10, 2007 10:10AM

what really should be done is this rod should be sent to an expert on bamboo rod repairs and a new ferrule station should be scarfed on and the ferrule re-set. this will keep the section full length. the rod will be more valuable. this is a leonard after all. i know that you would like to take care of this for your customer but you may be doing him a disservice. on clarks bamboo rod board you can find a bunch of guys that do these kind of repairs professionally. here is the link. [p205.ezboard.com]

Date: December 10, 2007 10:10AM

Thanks Tom, that confirms what we thought would be the easiest and your comments will also make my customer comfortable with the proposed solution.

Posted by: Harry Boyd (---.bayou.com)
Date: December 10, 2007 12:58PM

Ray,

Larry is correct. This rod, because it was made and sold by Leonard, is going to be at least somewhat valuable and collectible. To retain the value the work needs to be done by someone who regularly repairs and restores bamboo rods. I would suggest Ted Simroe, Bob Taylor, Ron Kusse, or one of the other former Leonard employees. . Any work done incorrectly will seriously detract from the value of this rod. For instance, .eEpoxy should not be used. Wraps should be made with the correct silk (not nylon) thread. While I am sure you are a quite competent rod repair man, this is a job for someone who will add to the rod's value rather than detract from it. Please don't think I am being insulting, as that is not my intention.

Best,
Harry Boyd
maker@canerods.com

Date: December 10, 2007 05:32PM

Harry, no insult taken. Your feedback is welcomed and has been educational to me and will be also to my customer (potential).

Thanks again.

Ray Zarychta
Glastonbury, CT

Posted by: Ken Preston (---.hsd1.md.comcast.net)
Date: December 10, 2007 07:40PM

Ray -

These people may be able to advance your research: [www.hlleonard.com]
Hiram Leonard Rod Company.
208 Crestwood Drive Houston, TX 77007 Phone: (207) 967-0147 Fax: (207) 067-0147

For expert repair: Ted Simroe who, with Hap Mills recreated many of the Leonard tapers - I don't know how to contact him though

Posted by: James Reid (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: December 10, 2007 10:38PM

Not everybody will go to the expense to maintain the value of such a rod. The guy might just want to get back on the water. Depends on what he wants to do and why he bought the rod in the first place.

Anybody who plans on retiring from bamboo rod appreciation might be better off putting their money in CDs.

Posted by: Fred Halfheimers (---.static.twtelecom.net)
Date: December 13, 2007 05:52AM

With bamboo,, you do it right or don't do it at all.
A scarf or a new tip is in order.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster