I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Cork is Obsolete!
Posted by: Peter Sprague (---.)
Date: December 07, 2007 05:07PM

IMHO cork is now obsolete for grips and handles. Thanks to Andy and Tom for the articles on the coverings and cores. I can see a lot of tinkering will be going on around my house in the next few weeks. Really great stuff and sure to change the direction of custom and maybe even factory rods for all time.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Cork is Obsolete!
Posted by: Anonymous User (Moderator)
Date: December 07, 2007 05:17PM

I'm not sure that cork will ever be truly obsolete as a fishing rod handle/grip material, but now there are some extremely good options as alternatives and which actually trump cork in certain categories. They're easily far, far better than EVA, hypalon or even wood in many cases where weight is a concern. These first articles are only the tip of the iceberg. Stay tuned for two follow up articles that expand the materials and techniques into another realm. There is so much you can do in this area that it really boggles the mind. I expect we'll be seeing all sorts of new ideas once the magazine gets to everybody in another week or two. This is the sort of thing that imaginative custom rod builders are going to run away with.

Posted by: Peter Sprague (---.)
Date: December 07, 2007 05:22PM

No matter but my mind is already racing with ideas. Why has nobody thought of doing this on a fishing rod before??

Date: December 07, 2007 05:27PM

I don't know for sure that they haven't, although if they have they've never written about it nor taken any photos of it. At least not where anyone in the rod building public has ever read or seen such a thing. Either way, it's going to set off a firestorm of new ideas in handles and grips. Who knows what else.

I have a strong suspicion that some commercial rod manufacturing operations will be very interested as well.

Posted by: John Sams (---.listmail.net)
Date: December 07, 2007 05:31PM

Now I'm wondering????????????

Posted by: Tony Politi (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: December 07, 2007 06:22PM

Hmmm, let me guess, current issue or RM? Hopefully soon

Date: December 07, 2007 07:03PM

The issue is not due until December 28th, but we mailed just a tad early so that most would get it before Christmas.

Posted by: Steve Rushing (---.sip.asm.bellsouth.net)
Date: December 07, 2007 07:25PM

Can't wait to read the article. The last cover really got my attention. As expressed I'm of the opinion that there is great potential. But I can't help but think about the recent posts about how the fishing community tend to stick to their ways.

Posted by: Scott Sheets (---.jolietcity.org)
Date: December 07, 2007 11:45PM

Tom, I subscribed this past week, any chance I will be getting this issue?

Posted by: PAUL FANNON (---.hba.bmx.wholesalebroadband.com.au)
Date: December 08, 2007 01:18AM

I would like to know what this thread is about.

Can someone enliten me please. I have obviously missed something.

Thank You,

Paul

I fish therefore I am.
www.hookeduprods.com

Posted by: David Gilberg (---.pghk.east.verizon.net)
Date: December 08, 2007 01:43AM

It is about an article in the latest issue of RodMaker Magazine covering new ideas for grips. The cover of the last issue had a photo of an innovative grip which is to be discussed in the new issue. If you are not a subscriber to RodMaker now is a great time to get on board. It is the single most abundant source of information on rod building to be found anywhere. What you read here usually is discussion about things which are detailed there. Think of RodMaker as being the trophy fish and the discussions here as the ripples it generates.

Dave

Posted by: Paul Rotkis (---.gci.net)
Date: December 08, 2007 03:21AM

Since nobody will tell the rest of us what the material is, my .02 is that if the new secret material will absorb bait oils, salmon egg juice etc, cork will never be obsolete in the pacific Northwest and for anglers using bait.

paul

Date: December 08, 2007 04:47AM

THANK YOU. I have tried to get Rod maker, here in Tas but with no success.

No one will answer my enails , ? .

I would still very much like to hear about this new material ?.

If possible.

Thank You

Paul.

I fish therefore I am.
www.hookeduprods.com

Posted by: Jason Groombridge (58.163.131.---)
Date: December 08, 2007 06:41AM

Paul,

I'm also in Tassie and while not a subscriber to RM, I have picked up quite a few back issues when I've needed them. Back Issues and subscriptions are available through Ian Miller at The Australian Rod Builder. Shoot him an email and I'm sure he'll help out.

Cheers

Jason

Date: December 08, 2007 06:50AM

Hi, Jason,

Thank you very much for your response.

I have tried Ian Miller on a number of ocassions, but have never got an answer.

Thank you for your post.

Paul

I fish therefore I am.
www.hookeduprods.com

Date: December 08, 2007 06:56AM

Jason, if you wish to get in touch.

www.hookeduprods.com

www.thefishingsite.com.au

You can find me and we can meet if you wish.

Paul

I fish therefore I am.
www.hookeduprods.com

Posted by: Olaf Karsten (---.versanet.de)
Date: December 08, 2007 08:37AM

It's a real tragedy. Here in europe (germany) we have no little chance to get the RodMaker Magazin. I hope and pray, that someday a digital Version or achive is available for the rest of the world. I'm sure many people outside the us wait for this and would pay for the digital version.

Olaf

Date: December 08, 2007 09:48AM

There will never be a digital version of RodMaker outside of the back issues on CD, which will be closed out after the first of the year. There has been no demand for a digital version - many magazines have tried this and found the interest wanting. I'd need thousands of online subscribers, not a couple dozen.

Contacts for RodMaker subscriptions in Australia and Germany are listed on the magazine website.

Anyone that subscribed prior to December 1st will get the issue in the regular bulk mailing done on that date.

The scheduled delivery date is December 28th although some will get it before others due to the way that presorted standard (3rd class) mail moves.

Date: December 08, 2007 10:44AM

@#$%& has just become a dealer for RodMaker Magazine copies. I do not know if Mark would entertain mailing issues overseas (I found it fraught with difficulties and thus discontinued it) but I will mention it for those who might be in his area and prefer to pick up copies in person.

Posted by: Olaf Karsten (---.versanet.de)
Date: December 08, 2007 10:47AM

I get your point Tom, but disagree in some points. Most Magazines havn't had a substantiated web-strategie. They only put the Magazin on a Website. That is not the way to sucess. But i understand that it isn't attractive to go an risky way.

I'll give the new contact at the subscription page a try. The last one has never answered. Hope this time i will get the magazin.

thanks

Olaf

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster