I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Foam Arbors in Wood Grips
Posted by: Steven Libby (---.hsd1.ma.comcast.net)
Date: December 07, 2007 01:37AM

For those who are using flexcoat arbors in their wood grips to lighten the load, like this [www.rodbuilding.org], is there a process/standard that works best for you? For example, I've been boring out my wood blank to my largest mandrel size and turning on that. Then ream/sand out the bore a bit more removing as much as I dare (I've made the walls too thin in some cases, and cracked them), and then sand down a foam arbor to fit in the bore then glue it in with rod bond. Fitting to the rod is then the easiest part as using a flexcoat bit to keep it centered while sizing the arbor bore to fit the blank takes only seconds. I'm still not totally satisfied with the process as I'd like to find an optimum largest size mandrel to turn the wood on to reduce the amount of final bore reaming/sanding that needs to be done; and I still get nervous and still sometimes make the wall too thin and crack it. I'd love to hear what you folks have found to be the optimum balance or process for this.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Foam Arbors in Wood Grips
Posted by: Michael Blomme (---.spkn.qwest.net)
Date: December 07, 2007 03:09AM

Steve,
I haven't tried using the arbors yet. All of the fly rods I've made with wood grips so far have balanced very well with the all wood grips. However, I have been planning to. My thoughts, which I admit may not be completely worked out, are as follows: First, bore out the wood blank to the outside diameter of the foam arbor. Second, glue the foam arbor into the wood blank with Rodbond. Third, since the foam arbor has a 1/4 inch hole (I believe), you can mount the wood blank with the arbor using a 1/4 inch mandrel and then turn the grip on your lathe. When finished, the grip can be easily reamed to fit the blank. These are my thoughts at present.

Perhaps those who have already can critique my ideas as well as provide insight into how they do it. Best of luck.

Mike Blomme

Posted by: David Rogers (---.pn.at.cox.net)
Date: December 07, 2007 09:32AM

If you are cracking the wood as it gets thin, heat might be your problem. This is especially true in very dense woods. If I am drilling a hole or sanding the piece to less than 1/8" I make sure the piece stays cool by sanding at a lower speed on the lathe or using compressed air to cool the wood/bit when I am boring a hole. The suggestion that Mike had about boring your wood to the arbor size, gluing in the srbor, then mounting on a mandrel and turning is exactly how I would do it.

Posted by: Steven Libby (20.132.69.---)
Date: December 07, 2007 09:41AM

I'll have to try that. I guessed, probably incorrectly, that the foam arbor might 'slip' on the mandrel and that trying to tighten it in place with the copper sleeve and nut would just dig into the arbor and not hold it well enough. Thats why I was putting it in afterwards instead. But I'll give it a try. I didnt think it was heat, but I'll try even slower speeds and/or air as you suggest - that just could be the issue with cracking afterwall. Thanks.

Posted by: Stan Grace (---.hln-mt.client.bresnan.net)
Date: December 07, 2007 10:32AM

I bore my block to fit my intended mandrel size using a four jawed chuck to hold the block.. I then change bits and bore out the block to accept the foam arbor material before I remove the block from the chuck. I usually bore the hole for the arbor about 2/3rds of the way through the final grip length. Upon removing the block from the lathe chuck I glue the arbor material in the block using rod bond and then insert a mandrel through the arbor material and the grip to help with alignment. I usually allow the glue to cure overnight and then turn the block with the foam insert to a final grip size. I have no idea if this procedure is in keeping with professional wood turning practices but it usually works well for me as evidenced by the example you provide.

I have found that using the foam material may not save a great deal of weight when comparing grips with or without foam reamed to a final size but it does make reaming much easier.

Stan Grace
Helena, MT
"Our best is none too good"

Posted by: Dave Orr (---.nt.interNORTH.net)
Date: December 07, 2007 12:53PM

I haven't done this with wood grips yet, but when using burl cork I turn my handle and when that is done I use a flexcoat bit and bore to within 1" of the end and glue in the arbor. I don't see why this won't work with wood grips.

Regards
Dave

Fishing is Life the rest is just Details

Posted by: Clive G Morris (---.tampfl.dsl-w.verizon.net)
Date: December 07, 2007 03:36PM

I turn my wood grips, using a 5/16 mandrel, it's just a tad less flexible than a 1/4" mandrel, and once the grip is finished, I use a flexcoat drill bit , which I have modified by gluing a 5/16"brass tubing sleeve over the aluminum guide arbor., I drill to within 3/4" or so of the end of the grip, depending on the diameter of the grip, glue in the foam arbor, and then ream with a dream reamer to fir the blank. The 5/16 " hole in the end of the wood grip just saves a bit of reaming. I have not yet found the exact size spade bit to accommodate the foam arbor without having to sand the arbor first. These foam arbors really do make a difference to the weight with wood grips!

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster