I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Who's your favourite rod builder?
Posted by: Steven Libby (---.hsd1.ma.comcast.net)
Date: December 04, 2007 06:23PM

[www.elfyourself.com] Just wondering

(left to right: Hiro, Italo, Billy40, TKR)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/04/2007 07:10PM by Steven Libby.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Who's your favourite rod builder?
Posted by: BILL R BRITT (---.dsl.bcvloh.sbcglobal.net)
Date: December 04, 2007 07:01PM

Don Guilding,and his wife, he owned a little place called rodmakers shop in ohio and taught me how to build rods when I was 16,,,,many moons ago 1979.Thank you for all your help Don
Bill

Posted by: Paul Rotkis (---.gci.net)
Date: December 04, 2007 07:18PM

Alaska Fish Stix!

Posted by: Billy Vivona (---.nycmny.east.verizon.net)
Date: December 04, 2007 07:42PM

That's funny, Italo looks like he's really enjoying himself. Im goofy, Tom and Hiro are typical TOm & Hiro.

My favorite builders - Bernie Cohen & Mike Joyce.

Posted by: Mark J. Mire (---.carolina.res.rr.com)
Date: December 04, 2007 08:00PM

Me!

Case closed.

~Mark

Posted by: Michael Joyce (12.152.253.---)
Date: December 04, 2007 09:13PM

I like the Japanese carpenter, mainly cause he's a carpenter and does incrediblly influencial threadwork( HIRO). Doc Ski, because he's Doc Ski...dont know him, love to meet him some day...heart of gold like most builders..with mindbending skillz from the start of thread art. Jim Upton and Mark Crouse...how tight can you make thread go?....Billy Vivona is "prolly" my favorite, because of what he's done with modern crossing wrapping...sense of humor, and freindship (its all your fault !!!) All the NERBS that dig the thread, with Al Ciner being the most "outside of the box" creature I've ever met. But, my true favorite builder is Roy Brauer and his son from the NE area...saw some pretty wild inovative rods come out of THAT shop!!!!

There's lots more for different reasons based on handle work and feathers.....I tend to like builders that dont get too serious about things, have a real job, and are willing to help others.

Timmyyyyyy

NERB that types with a bar of Ivory soap in his mouth.

Posted by: Buddy Sanders (---.tc.ph.cox.net)
Date: December 04, 2007 09:38PM

I'm with Mark.

It's Me.

Primarily because when I build a rod for myself, I don't charge me anything for it.

Therefore, all my rods that I build for myself are FREE!!!

THAT lets me spend the money that the rod would have cost on other fishing stuff.

Since I charge a lot for a rod, I get to buy lots of neat stuff with all the money I saved on the rods I didn't charge myself for........

Sounded good to me, but the boss didn't buy this argument either....women just ain't logical....

Buddy

Posted by: Mike Barkley (---.try.wideopenwest.com)
Date: December 04, 2007 10:39PM

Doc Ski, Mike Joyce, Billy V, Al Ciner, Jim Upton in no particular order

Mike (Southgate, MI)
If I don't want to, I don't have to and nobody can make me (except my wife) cuz I'm RETIRED!!

Posted by: James(Doc) Labanowski (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: December 04, 2007 11:01PM

I would have to say Tommy Palmiero and Jean Harrington. Doubt few know who they are. Both taught me every thing they knew and helped me let loose the skills I have develoved over the years. They also taught me to giving back is the true mark of a master at anything. Thank you to both the Mikes for the great honors.

Posted by: Jerry Griffin (---.bchsia.telus.net)
Date: December 04, 2007 11:46PM

Billy you are right - your elf is sorta goofy.
Favorite builder(s) - thats a real tough one - there are alot of people here
who do incredible work - For me these guys set the bar:
Crosswraps - MJ
Weaves - Doc/Hiro/JimUpton
Foam handle work, crosswrap design & sense of humor - BillyV
Guide wraps and overall look - Hiro/Scott Throop
Feather inlays, unique fly rod handles - Terry Hansen
NERBS because your all threadheads
The list goes on & on - these are the first that come to mind........

Posted by: William Bartlett (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: December 05, 2007 12:50AM

Being 100% honest here. Any Rod Builder who gets kids involved. IMHO, we've got to get kids involved in something other than the bad influences of today's society. Think about it folks: this is the next generation if we don't save them, what's the world going to be like in the future? Just something to think about.

Bill in WV

Re: Who's your favorite rod builder?
Posted by: J.B. Hunt (---.dsl.logantele.com)
Date: December 05, 2007 01:12AM

I will have to go along with Mark and Buddy.

It's Me ! The reason is,, I have never met another Rod builder ! The closest one to me, geographically, that I know of , is Lynn Williams ( about 150 miles away) and I have never met him. I guess that's the reason I'm so busy.
The people mentioned thus far , and some that haven't been mentioned , are all my Idols, my heros. I have never been taught , one on one, anything about rod building. What I have learned about Rod Building I learned from the experts on this board. I have only seen their work on the photo section and they are all great artists and craftsmen. Come Feb. I expect to meet , face to face, all of my " Favorite Rod Builders" then I will be able to answer this question quite differently I'm sure.
So if I'm the only horse in my geographical race, I gotta come out the winner.

J.B.Hunt
Bowling Green, KY

Posted by: Mark Fisher (---.sa.bigpond.net.au)
Date: December 05, 2007 03:05AM

For me I'm a lot like Jay. I live about 500klms from the nearest rodbuilder (Ross Van Enkavort). I really like the threadwork of the NERBS (Billy, MJ, Al and others). I think Mark Crouse is a true craftsman in all aspects of rodbuilding. Names already mentioned as legends, Hiro, Doc, Jim Upton and Tom are fantastic. I love Scott Troops work and Terry Henson is hard to keep up with. As for budding builders, I think Anthony Lee from Singapore is on his way right up there with some of the best.I forgot an Aussie of world renown, Ian Miller. His rods have to be seen to be believed.

Posted by: Scott Parsons (205.244.119.---)
Date: December 05, 2007 08:27AM

I would have to say that Doc is my no.1 he has taught me soooo much about weaving and been so helpful. On thread art it for me it has to be Billy what he has done. With his book and info. as well as the wraps is outstanding. And who can leave out Tom Kirkman his wilingness to help and the rod work he has done is also outstanding, not to mention what he has done for the industry as a whole. Thanks to all. Scott

Posted by: Brent Keever (146.82.111.---)
Date: December 05, 2007 09:00AM

My favorite three would be Bill Stevens and Lance Dupuis these two guys have been my mentors when I scream help they give me the answer are the help I need. And also Doc for answering all my emails when I had questions before I met Bill and Lance. If you ask me I have had three of the best mentors around thanks guys its been greatly appreciated. Hope to meet many more builders in Feb.

Brent Keever
Building friendships through custom rods

Posted by: Stan Grace (---.hln-mt.client.bresnan.net)
Date: December 05, 2007 09:59AM

Putter for the time and effort he provides for anyone in need of help and to the many others that also give of their time and effort as he does.

Stan Grace
Helena, MT
"Our best is none too good"

Posted by: Bill Colby (---.int.bellsouth.net)
Date: December 05, 2007 10:21AM

Rich Forhan. His ideas and techniques have arguably had the greatest impact on the world of fishing rods of any rod builder in history. I like his approach and the functionality he brought to the craft.

There is another rod builder I admire greatly but I know he doesn't like flattery so I'll just keep my mouth shut on that one.

Posted by: donald patton (68.42.227.---)
Date: December 05, 2007 02:04PM

The best rod builder I know of is Mike Nolan. He has more knowledge about rod buildling than anyone I know.

Posted by: Bill Beall (---.always-online.wispnet.net)
Date: December 05, 2007 02:17PM

Where would we be without RodMaker Magazine, the ICRBE, this forum, and the artists and craftsmen who contribute to them? I vote for the one who makes it all possible -- Tom Kirkman. Not flattery. Fact.

Bill Beall

Posted by: Raymond Adams (69.241.124.---)
Date: December 05, 2007 06:39PM

That would be like picking a favorite family member. Not at all possible unless one is including
the in-laws and to even concider discussing them on a public forum would be commiting suicide!

I would however give a special note to Rich Matranga, David Gelberg, Fred Crum, &
(the famos kitchen sink rodbuilder) Derek McMaster.

These guys allowed me the enjoyment of teaching some of what I know about rodbuilding. Dave & Derek also put
up with my daily herassments.

Raymond Adams
Eventually, all things merge, and a river runs through it..

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster