I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Using a spatula
Posted by: Todd Blanton (---.sip.bgk.bellsouth.net)
Date: December 03, 2007 10:11AM

I was reading how to make a spatula in an issue of Rod Maker (Which is AWESOME by the way). I have a slow turner it is an 11rpm turner. My question is how do i apply the finish with the spatula? Do I use the spatula to press the finish into the thread? I have been using brushes and have no idea how the spatula actually works. Will the turner even out the finish or do I use the spatula for that? PLEASE HELP!

This site has been such a help it is unbelievable!!
Thanks Guys!
Todd Blanton

Fat Firemen Rule!

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Using a spatula
Posted by: Brent Keever (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: December 03, 2007 10:16AM

Todd I use a brush most often but have used a spatula at times I just use it to put the finish on the threads. I do not try and press it into the threads. They had a thread on here where someone did a test using different items to put on his finish if I am not mistaken he even used a french fry. The finish should level out.

Brent Keever
Building friendships through custom rods

Posted by: Steve Rushing (---.north-highland.com)
Date: December 03, 2007 10:20AM

I use a spatula to hold the finish very near the thread just above and behind the wrap so it flows off the spatula an onto the thread as I hand turn the blank toward the spatula. I move the spatula across the wrap from front edge to guide foot. I try very hard not to fiddle with finish and let it do the work of self-leveling. Everyonce and awhile I have to help the finish cover a spot. This is one of those things that's easier to show than do describe. btw you might already have a feel for this technique. I think good brush technique is to load the brush full and actually use it like a spatula. imo using the brush to brush on the finish is a sure way to get bubbles.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/03/2007 10:21AM by Steve Rushing.

Posted by: Scott Parsons (205.244.119.---)
Date: December 03, 2007 11:07AM

Todd, I use a spatula, but I use it at high speed around 200rpm and it make the finish go on guite fast and it is very easy to spread at that speed also. I used to apply at the slower rpm's like you do know until I tried the higher speed. Just hold the spatula just above the threads and let the rod take it off the spatula. As you move across the threads the finish will just flow across with you. Give it a try if you can. Scott

Posted by: Anonymous User (Moderator)
Date: December 03, 2007 11:30AM

I use a brush myself, but Ralph O'Quinn will quickly point out that epoxies are casting resins and should be applied with spatulas, not brushes (brushes are for paints). You do not need to do anything more than apply the epoxy to the thread with the spatula, making sure you get complete coverage. The epoxy will then take over and do what it knows how to do.

Ralph would certainly be glad to personally instruct you on using a spatula if you happen to make it to the ICRBE in February. He applies his finish while the rod is turning at about 200 rpm, I think.

Posted by: Matt Davis (---.prtel.com)
Date: December 03, 2007 01:19PM

I use a brush. Never understood why anyone would use a spatula.

One day I read a description on how to apply finish with a spatula. It was exactly how I use a brush.

Now I understand many of the comments about using spatulas and not brushes better. I suppose if you use a brush for epoxy and use it like you would for paint, it would be an inferior tool.

Bottom line...use what works for you. In either case, its just a tool to get a good load of material onto a wrap and do a reasonable job of putting an even layer on.

Better to have and not need than to need and not have.

Posted by: Joe Hepp (205.172.107.---)
Date: December 03, 2007 01:24PM

I made the switch to a spatula for no other reason than its easier to clean up and will last forever, or at least until I misplace it. But as already mentioned, it is the technique of applying the finish that really matters and not the tool used to do it. Brush, spatula or whatever else you are comfortable with, the important thing to remember is to get the finish on the wraps and then just let it do what it will naturally want to do.

Posted by: Earl Hamilton (125.60.243.---)
Date: December 03, 2007 02:41PM

I've used a brush since the late seventies. I like stiff bristled flat brushes about 1/4-up to 1/2 inch depending on the size of the rod. Good quality, flat edged brushes. I apply the epoxy along and around the wrap making sure all is covered, and working the epoxy into the foot channels etc.Then I work on the edging, I then work the epoxy around the wrap to even it out first, then longtitudally, in from both edges towards the middle. All the time turning by hand as I need.
When I coat a but wrap, I ladle the epoxy on length wise then work it round the wrap roughly covering the area, then repeat the next bit until I've covered the wrap. Now I work round the wrap, spiralling down the wrap in close turns from one end to the other, then I work the brush along the entire length of the wrap in single even strokes allways in one direction, until I have worked all around the wrap. Once all is completed I check for bubbles, remove what I can by blowing on them and place them in 3rpm the dryer to cure. I find that this slow dryer works well in the heat of the tropics.
This year I tried a spatula for the first time, actually a popsicle stick, and applied the epoxy in the same way as I would with the brush. I actualy found it quite easy, but it was a fairly large rod that was built for extreme popping for gt's and tuna. However, the finish was markedly better than with a brush. There was a vast improvement in the clarity of the finish and virtualy no bubbles, and the leveling was quite amazing especially on the closed diamond butt wrap, not even the tiniest of bubbles-I've built several rods since with both the brush and the spatula, and the spatula gives me the best results. I am now a firm believer in the spatula method after 30 years with the brush. Doing the edging on the wraps was a sinch, just lean the spatulas edge against the wrap and turn a couple of times and voila job done in great style. I have to say though, its easier on bigger rods. I think I would still have to use a brush on small diameter rods such as fly rods.One thing I have found OK for smaller rods are those little plastic stirring sticks from Star bucks-there free with every coffee !!!

Posted by: Duane Richards (---.rn.hr.cox.net)
Date: December 03, 2007 03:01PM

Brush for me too. I have the spatula and have tried it a few times. It's "ok" but the brush just works better for me. My spatula has taken to be the "mixing tool" that I use over and over.

DR

Posted by: Tony Mortimer (---.hsd1.nh.comcast.net)
Date: December 04, 2007 05:12PM

I've been using a stainless spatula and still use it for most of the wraps. When I had trouble laying down a uniform coat over lettering on the butt, I tried cutting a credit card (get a lot of them in the mail and find it cheaper to use for rod building than other purposes !) and cut it to the width needed for a uniform application over the lettering. This worked so good, I cut some other widths and use them on longer wraps (such as stripping guides and ferrule wraps) and find I get more uniform thickness finishes.

Tony M

Posted by: Mike Barkley (---.try.wideopenwest.com)
Date: December 04, 2007 05:26PM

Playing cards work great also. They can be cut to widthes to fit the need. A few hundred spatulas for under a buck

Mike (Southgate, MI)
If I don't want to, I don't have to and nobody can make me (except my wife) cuz I'm RETIRED!!

Posted by: Edward D. Smith (---.ard.bellsouth.net)
Date: December 04, 2007 09:48PM

Mike,

Have you stopped using the fake credit cards that come in "junk" mail. Why waste a good deck of playing cards for something that is free! I cut credit cards down for spatulas all the time for finish.

Ed Smith

Posted by: Mike Barkley (---.try.wideopenwest.com)
Date: December 04, 2007 10:44PM

I have never received one of those!! Everyone but me seems to get them. 2 decks of cards for a buck at the Dollar store. A couple years worth at least.

Mike (Southgate, MI)
If I don't want to, I don't have to and nobody can make me (except my wife) cuz I'm RETIRED!!

Posted by: Bill Giokas (---.bfd-dynamic.gis.net)
Date: December 06, 2007 08:21AM

I use a brush and have limited experience with the spatula. I've notice in several catalog by top rod co that they always show people using a brush to apply the finish. Bill 'Giokas

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster