I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

What's your favorite Rodmaker?
Posted by: Bill Peifer (---.gci.net)
Date: November 28, 2007 03:59PM

I have started buying backorders of Rodmaker magazine to supplement my subscription.
My favorite articles are Roger Seiders Man Behind Flex Coat and A Complete Guide to Understanding and Building Stand-Up Rods both from Volume 5 - Issue 6
What have been your favorite articles?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: What's your favorite Rodmaker?
Posted by: Steven Libby (---.hsd1.ma.comcast.net)
Date: November 28, 2007 04:14PM

All but the ones I am missing, or maybe especially the ones I am missing: 1-1, 1-2, 1-4, 1-6, 2-3, 2-4, 3-3, 3-4, 4-1, 4-6

Posted by: Ken Finch (---.coi.bellsouth.net)
Date: November 28, 2007 05:00PM

Do we get to list more than just one? LOL! I have many favorites. The volume 8 issue 2 because of the Simple Spiral article. It completely converted me to spiral wraps and it works so well that it's now my "go to" system for any casting rod I build. The volume 7 issue 1 because of the great article on building surf rods. We do a LOT of that around these parts, you know!

Also any and all issues that had articles by Rich Forhan. All those little tips and tweaks on reel seats have really helped me improve my bass and light trout rods. All those little things I should have thought of on my own but didn't.

Posted by: Chris Garrity (---.phlapafg.covad.net)
Date: November 28, 2007 05:15PM

Volume 7, Number 1: Surf Rods. I still go back and reread it regularly.

The reason I feel this way is because while virtually all custom rods (except perhaps the truly awful ones) are better than just about all factory rods, the difference between custom and factory is greatest (in my humble opinion) on surf rods. A good custom surf rod, even on bargain components, blows away any factory rod, even the stuff that costs many hundreds of dollars.

For me, a superior surf rod is the zenith of custom rodbuilding. But maybe I say that because I'm a surf rat - I can understand how guys feel the same way about fly rods.

Posted by: Bill Stevens (---.br.br.cox.net)
Date: November 28, 2007 05:28PM

The next one !

Posted by: Fred Yarmolowicz (---.hsd1.nj.comcast.net)
Date: November 28, 2007 07:14PM

and the one after that...

Freddwhy (Rapt-Ryte)

Posted by: Bill Peifer (---.gci.net)
Date: November 28, 2007 08:30PM

I'm really looking foreward to the next one too, those graphite grips are way cool. I also look foreward to the follow up on Emory's sensitivity article.
Surf rod's are interesting, I know a couple of guys here in southeast alaska that use one for other things. The simple spiral is on my list of things to read.
Anything related to bass fishing makes me homesick for the midwest, but Rich Forhan's book Powerhand Baitcasting is also on my list.
I'm moving to a remote village in northwestern Alaska and believe that I am going to need lots of reading material. Grayling and Sheefish will be my target species...Hmm...What about fly rods?

Posted by: Ed Sabatini (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: November 28, 2007 10:36PM

I don't remember the exact volume and issue numbers but certain articles stand out. The article on making your own wooden rods. The article on grip flocking. The article on the simplespiral-bumper wrap. The article on Musky rods. Any of Ralph O'Quinn's stuff. I never knew this Gene Bullard charachter but all his pieces add a nice touch to the magazine. And, ALL the articles on the Common Cents System were great!

My one request is that an article on all aspects of fly rod building be done. The same format and style as was used for the ones on surf rods, stand up rods, musky rods, llve baits and the other specialty rods that have been covered. These articles have been more like comprehensive books than mere magazine articles. A comprehensive piece on all things pertaining to fly rods would be the final icing on the cake for me!

Posted by: Raymond Adams (---.hsd1.ca.comcast.net)
Date: November 28, 2007 10:37PM

It is absolutely impossible for me to oick a favorite issue. They are ALL
that good. That being said, the issues with indepth tech articles seem
to get most of my attention.

The articles on STAND UPS, SENSITIVITY, CCS, FERRULES, just to
name a few.

My first issues had to do with PRICING which was a big concern for me
then.

Wrap articles like the ones authored by Bill Colby & Scott Throop cannot
be understanded!

Raymond Adams
Eventually, all things merge, and a river runs through it..

Posted by: Randy Parpart (Putter) (---.dsl.dynamic.nccray.com)
Date: November 29, 2007 12:24AM

That's the one that kinda sticks out to me, Raymond, the wraps of Scott and Bill; I'm doing my second one likely tomorrow night, too.

Putter
Williston, ND

Posted by: Steve Rushing (---.north-highland.com)
Date: November 29, 2007 10:33AM

I keep all my back copies on a shelf within arm's reach of my workbench. I'm always refering to one or more during almost all projects but one that I constantly refer to is the one (sorry about not knowing Volume) that contains Rich Forhan's Equal Distance Guide Spacing article. I use both his technical and philosophical advse. One that has influenced a "style" for me is the Volume with Tom's ultimate Smallmouth rod. Then there's the one covering finishing techniques. And the ones with grip templates. And ...

Posted by: Bill Colby (---.int.bellsouth.net)
Date: November 29, 2007 06:12PM

I build mostly bass rods so anything by Rich Forhan is something I've found helpful.

Also the older volume 4 issue 1 that had the article on making your own rod from western red cedar. I think it would be a really neat project. Now if I only could find the time.

Posted by: Fred Yarmolowicz (---.hsd1.nj.comcast.net)
Date: November 29, 2007 08:24PM

I treat all my kids equally!!!

Freddwhy (Rapt-Ryte)

Posted by: Scott Youschak (72.242.111.---)
Date: November 30, 2007 11:22AM

The stand-up article really opened my eyes to aspects of building these types of rods that I would have never thought of some of which applies to rods in all classes. Scott and Bill's articles also opened a new door for thread art that was formerly unique to them.

Posted by: Anonymous User (Moderator)
Date: November 30, 2007 01:26PM

Bill has something else that I plan to run if he can find a readily available source for the paricular thread required. It's a very nice technique but I see little use in publishing something that can't be duplicated due to the "parts" not being readily available.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster