I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Nu-Skin Rod Armor
Posted by: Jeff Shields (---.static.twtelecom.net)
Date: November 28, 2007 03:09PM

Hi Everyone,

I was just looking through the photo page and ran across this post:

[www.rodbuilding.org]

I was looking at using this material on my next project, which will be a cobia rod built on one of the Batson Live Bait series of rods (thanks for the heads up, Doc). I understand how the material works and have heard some really good things about it. I understand how I can do a transition between the materal and a butt cap/gimball, front and rear of a reel seat, etc. But what has me scratching my head is what kind of transition to do on the front of the fore-grip.

Anyone that has worked with this material and has any ideas I would appreciate it. Also, even if you just simply have some pointers or tips to make life easier I would really appreciate it.

Thanks, Jeff

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Nu-Skin Rod Armor
Posted by: Tony Politi (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: November 28, 2007 03:45PM

Jeff, I have used the nu-skin Rod Armor and Amtaks X-tube and what I have done in front of the foregrip is to shape a cork ring or 2 so it tapers down toward the blank. Shrink the Grip material over it, then wrap with thread up onto the grip material and epoxy.

Tony

Posted by: Russ Pollack (198.139.109.---)
Date: November 28, 2007 03:58PM

Jeff - tony's right, but remember to leave the shrink-tube section just a little long 1/8" to 1/4", depending on the length of the foregip taper, to allow for the fact that the tube shrinks end-to-end as well as across the diameter.

Uncle Russ
Calico Creek Rods

Posted by: Anonymous User (---.hsd1.nj.comcast.net)
Date: November 28, 2007 06:10PM

I do a Black thread and epoxy ramp

Posted by: Bruce Wetzel (---.norf.east.verizon.net)
Date: November 28, 2007 06:52PM

Jeff,
I've used the Rod Armor quite a bit in the last three years, and while I'm no expert, I'll give you a few ideas on what I've learned. I prefer to use it over something like cork tape or turned down EVA rather than right on the blank. It will slip some unless you epoxy it on the bare blank. That's too messy for my tastes so I usually go with cork tape under.

When shrinking it, go slow and line up the X's as you go to the rod guide line-of-sight. This will give you a much more professional look.

As far as the foregrip transition goes, I've used thread ramps, etc., but recently started using EVA, cork, or whatever you like, and don't apply the Rod Armor at all on the foregrip. It's a nice contrast in materials, and something to consider. On my longer surf rods you can overpower the look of the rod with all Rod Armor (just my opinion).

Lastly, I roll-up the edges near the reel seat, butt cap, or anywhere that I "flush-cut" the Rod Armor (after it's shrunk) and apply a thin coat of finish, then roll them back down,,,,,it keeps them from sliding away from whatever the're butted up against when you start using the rod. Can't wait to see some pic's as I really enjoy looking at your work.

Bruce

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/28/2007 06:54PM by Bruce Wetzel.

Posted by: Jeff Shields (---.static.twtelecom.net)
Date: November 29, 2007 09:54AM

Thanks so much for the help, Bruce and everyone. I'll keep you all "posted" on my progress. Thanks very much.
Jeff

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster