I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Another mandrel question
Posted by: Matt Ralston (---.n0c9086.safeco.com)
Date: November 27, 2007 01:00PM

Morning folks,

I just bought a Rikon lathe and am a bit confused as to what I need to use the Lamar mandrels to turn grips. I want the threaded mandrel, as I plan on doing some wood accented grips, so that is one decision down.

The lathe only has 16 inches between centers though, and I believe the mandrels are 18 inches. can I just cut off a couple of inches? I'm planning on using a drill chuck on the headstock, so I think that that will work (the cut end in the chuck and the end with the 60 degree hole in the tailstock) but I'm just a little new at this.

Can anybody steer me in the right direction?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Another mandrel question
Posted by: Anonymous User (12.145.80.---)
Date: November 27, 2007 01:11PM

Matt, you can just cut off the blunt end of a threaded mandrel.

If you are going to order mandrels from Andy, just have him make them the length you need to fit your lathe.

Larr R. Tysinger

Posted by: Matt Davis (---.prtel.com)
Date: November 27, 2007 01:18PM

Not familiar with the Rikon but on my lathe you can stick the mandrel right thru the chuck and the lathe head. You don't need to have all 18" of the mandrel between the head and tail stocks.

Also Andy will make mandrels to any length you want.

Better to have and not need than to need and not have.

Posted by: Mike Barkley (---.try.wideopenwest.com)
Date: November 27, 2007 01:23PM

Matt,
For the long run you might want to consider a bed extension. I consider mine indispensible. I put it on the day that I got my lathe and its never been off. You really need one for boring your stock. I usually have square stock and can chuck it up, put a drill chuck with 12" bit on the tail stock and bore all the way through. If the hole ends up a tad off it doesn't make any difference because ones it's on a mandrel it will turn perfectly concentric to the hole.

You will love the threaded mandrels!!! You won't need anything with them. Like Larry said, you can cut them off if you want

You think that rodbuilding is addictive, wait till you start turning. Your e-mail address is hidden if you e-mail me, I have some stuff you might find helpful

Mike (Southgate, MI)
If I don't want to, I don't have to and nobody can make me (except my wife) cuz I'm RETIRED!!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/27/2007 01:25PM by Mike Barkley.

Date: November 27, 2007 02:05PM

Mike,

email unhidden, although I can't check that email while here at work. I've been woodworking as a hobby for years, but this is the first time I've had the opportunity to make spinny things. I would appreciate any info you care to send.

Thanks to all for the suggestions. I am still gathering pieces, and don't yet have a scroll chuck. So I'll have to turn between centers for now. Good to know that I can get a mandrel in a shorter length. Thanks again.

Posted by: Duane Richards (---.rn.hr.cox.net)
Date: November 27, 2007 02:06PM

Matt,

DO NOT CUT ANYTHING!!!

The Rikon lets you put the excess mandrel through the head stock! Order the standard 18" mandrels with the 60 degree cones on both ends and you'll be JUST FINE! I use them on my Rikon daily. You dont need a bed extension either unless you're planning on turning some LONG grips. You'll see once you get it working.

DR

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 11/27/2007 02:09PM by Duane Richards (DR).

Date: November 27, 2007 02:49PM

DR, He's using a drill chuck in the head stock. The threaded mandrels don't have the 60 degree cone on both ends, only on the threaded end. How are you boring out long grips??

Matt, How are you boring them out??

Mike (Southgate, MI)
If I don't want to, I don't have to and nobody can make me (except my wife) cuz I'm RETIRED!!

Date: November 27, 2007 02:53PM

I'm drilling with a drill press for now. Once I get the 4 jaw chuck, i'll bore on the lathe of course.

I just build fly rods, so length isn't much of an issue. I'll probably just end up ordering a 12 inch or so mandrel.

thanks again all.

Date: November 27, 2007 02:58PM

Matt,
Between a 4-jaw and drill chuck and say an 8 to 10" pc of stock and an 8 to 12" bit, life would be a LOT easier with the bed extenion. You can ever do 2 grips at a time.

Mike (Southgate, MI)

Posted by: Bill Moschler (---.ag.utk.edu)
Date: November 27, 2007 04:51PM

The drill chuck in the headstock is going to take up a few inches also. The preferred setup would be a small self centering lathe type chuck (what I refer to as a 3-jaw chuck, but in reality it can have any number of jaws past 3) that will allow the mandrel to extend through the headstock. But that will only work on mandrels smaller than the hole through the headstock. I would hate to cut the mandrel. I don't know which "4 jaw" you bought. I just finished a grip and seat using a 3/8" mandrel from Andy. It was pretty whippy when I had it full length in the lathe. When I slide about 10 inches of it through the headstock to shorten it it worked great.

Posted by: Duane Richards (---.rn.hr.cox.net)
Date: November 27, 2007 06:03PM

Mike,

My threaded mandrels have 60 degree cones on BOTH ends.

I didn't ""catch" he only has the drill chuck. I've gotten so use to the Nova Mid chuck, it was part of the lathe in my mind.

Like Bill said, he needs to pick up something like the Nove Midi chuck for the head stock to get the full use of the machine and mandrels. Much of the time I have 1/2 the mandrel inside the head stock while turning.

DR

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster