I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Suppliers in Ct
Posted by: carl drescher (---.dhcp.nwtn.ct.charter.com)
Date: November 24, 2007 07:45AM

Being new to rod building it is difficult for me to determine exactly what i want or need using the computer and the sponsors sites. It would be helpfull for me if I could go someplace and actually see hands on the different components and supplies that Im interested in. Is there any suppliers or builders in north western Ct. or southern Mass. where I can go and actually see the products Im interested in ? Thanks.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Suppliers in Ct
Posted by: Steve Gardner (---.nc.res.rr.com)
Date: November 24, 2007 08:44AM

I'm not sure there are any suppiers in CT, but if hands on experience is what you're after then this is were you want to be in Feb
[ads.rodbuilding.org]

Posted by: Ray Zarychta (---.ri.ri.cox.net)
Date: November 24, 2007 08:48AM

Carl, I live in Glastonbury and have yet to find a retail outlet in CT to do the touchy-feely thing. Even the new Cabelas has very little in the way of rod building supplies. I know some of the larger tackle shops along the shore line carry a few items mostly geared toward salt water.

I have found it helpful to order a bunch of manufacturer's catalogs for comparison and go from there. For most of my supplies I use Bingham Enterprises, Karen is great on customer service and advice. Feel free to give me shout if you would like to stop by for any advice or assistance.

Posted by: Bill Stevens (---.br.br.cox.net)
Date: November 24, 2007 09:27AM

NERBS to the rescue - look em up and hook up!

Posted by: Anonymous User (Moderator)
Date: November 24, 2007 09:35AM

There isn't enough local demand in most places for any shop to carry a large assortment of rod building supplies. You might be one of only a handful of rod builders in your area. Unless you live close to a mail order supplier, you aren't likely to find a huge assortment of rod building supplies available for an up close and personal inspection. Even a local fishing or fly shop that does have some rod building stuff isn't going to carry a large selection.

For whatever it might be worth to you, the International Custom Rod Builders Exposition in February will feature just about every rod building component, blank, tool, etc., in existence. It'll all be right there for you too look at, hold, see, feel, etc. In fact, you'll be hard pressed to see it all in just 2 days. But you'll have the opportunity to finally see all the stuff presented in the catalogs right there in person. I don't know if that's worth the trip for you or not. You'll have to decide that for yourself.

Posted by: Tony Mortimer (---.hsd1.ct.comcast.net)
Date: November 24, 2007 10:23AM

Carl: what town do you live in ? I live near Danbury, CT and, like most others here, do my shopping on-line from the sponsors on the left. I have been able to buy an occasional guide or tip top from stock at Compleat Angler in Darien and J Stockard (sponsor at left) has their headquarters in Kent, CT - but they don't have "brick and mortar" shop there, to my knowledge (maybe they would let you see their "warehouse" if they have one, call them and ask). Otherwise, if you're close by, let me know and I can show you various blanks, guides, reel seats on rods I have built ?

Tony M

Posted by: Terry LaValle (---.ips.paulbunyan.net)
Date: November 24, 2007 10:53AM

Carl, why not find a rod builder, or two, or 3 or 10 in your area and go see them. That is what I did. This craft has amazed me. They will let you in their homes, show you ALL of the tricks, tools, components, etc etc they have and then when you are leaving tand then they will ask you to call them if you have any questions.... I have found this to be a true fraternity.

I know its not seeing the supplies as you so indicated, but a great alternative. You will see more than "supplies" An afternoon in some guys basement will learn you more by accident than any suppliers shop by design....

Posted by: Sean Endres (---.dsl.wlfrct.sbcglobal.net)
Date: November 24, 2007 04:25PM

Carl,

I am in Southeastern CT., Hillyers Tackle in Waterford had a very limited rod building selection, and have done away with it due lack of interest/demand. Rivers End in Old Saybrook had a limited selection of rod building components, not sure if they still do, have not been there in quite some time. Other than that, I know of nothing.

Sean Endres
North East Rod Builders
New London, CT

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/24/2007 04:26PM by Sean Endres.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster